Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

i will be up for my red stripe grading in teakwondo in a few months
    chun gun is sooooooooooooooooooo hard!!!
    9 tattoos (forearms, shoulder, knees & calf)
    2 left lobe piercings
    Side lip labret - Retired

Coolest Banana on BJS 2007
    Stupidest Voter 2007

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

I want to send my 3 month nephew to Baby-jitsu lol, that way he'll be a lean, mean fihgting machine by the time he's 1 heheheheh
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

Quote Originally Posted by the_colvin View Post
    i'm interested in gatting back into martial arts, in one form or another, but i'm not sure if i would because of my nipple piercings

the rest of m,y piercings i think i would be ok with, but it's the nipples that are worrying me

i'm assuming that I wouldn't be able to do any martial art with them, but does anyone have any positvive expereinces/advice?

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find a martial art that would be safe to do with nipple piercings. If it's grappling then they could easily get ripped out accidentally, and the same with striking if you catch a kick to the chest. As I've said before, starting MA was one of the reasons I got rid of most of my piercings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitten Kitten View Post
    I've been practicing Tae Kwon Do for 9 years(ish). Second dan black belt. Mainly WTF, but dabble in ITF as well.

It's good to here from a WTF fighter once in a while! The TKD club at my university is full of ITF guys, and I have to say the few WTF guys who come along to my Kung Fu class from time to time seem like better fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    I want to start a martial art when I go to university next year (in Bournemouth), but I don't really know where to begin. I'm quite heavily built and have big, stocky legs from weight training and rugby (and eating too much...) and aren't particularly (at all) supple. So what would be the best for me? I've heard about Krav Magra, but I can't see it being easily accessible. Anyone know anywhere in Bournemouth that has decent facilities too?
    I can't help you with specific places to go, but my advice is to try as many MA classes as you can find. You never know what you're going to be best at or enjoy most until you've had a look at a bit of everything. And don't worry about not being flexible - I wasn't at all when I started training last january and after a few months I was kicking up to head height with no problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkztooth View Post
    i will be up for my red stripe grading in teakwondo in a few months
    chun gun is sooooooooooooooooooo hard!!!

I'm guessing chun gun is a form? Good luck with your grading!

Quote Originally Posted by archon_113 View Post
    It's good to here from a WTF fighter once in a while! The TKD club at my university is full of ITF guys, and I have to say the few WTF guys who come along to my Kung Fu class from time to time seem like better fighters.
    I really prefer WTF, it's always felt more solid to me. ITF seems to be gaining popularity recently, maybe I just never noticed it when I was competing.
    ASSAULT YOUR SENSES
    HAS:
    8mm lobe (x2)
    1.6mm lobe (x2)
    1.6mm lobe (DIY-12.19.07)
    1.6mm vertical helix (12.24.07)
    1.6mm lobe (DIY-2.21.08)
    1.6mm lobe (DIY-3.17.08)

WANTS:
    Inner Conch
    Scaffold
    Rook

i used to do Karate and got to green belt, didn't take the grading for green/white and left, they were teaching a variation of belts between 2 or 3 of them and they weren't paying a lot of attention to us, only the lower belts. Only one girl I know took it further and now she's a black belt
    25mm Lobe x2, 10mm Helix, 8mm Septum, 8mm Conch, 4mm Conch
    4mm Tragus, 3.2mm Tragus, 2.4mm Scaffold, 2.4mm Lip x5, 2.4mm Vertical Nipple, 2mm Cheeks
    1.6mm Nostrils, Helix, Daith, Bridge, Navel, Rook, Snug

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find a martial art that would be safe to do with nipple piercings. If it's grappling then they could easily get ripped out accidentally, and the same with striking if you catch a kick to the chest. As I've said before, starting MA was one of the reasons I got rid of most of my piercings.

yeah thats what i thought

well, thanks for the advice anyway
    Got: R Nipple @ 1.6mm (2/10/07)
    L Nipple @ 1.6mm (16/11/07)
    Both lobes @ 1.6mm (16/2/08
    2nd lobe (Right) @1.6mm (17/7/08)
    L Nipple (vert) @ 1.6mm (9/8/08)
    Septum @ 1.6mm (29/8/08)
    Tongue @1.6mm (11/10/09)
    "No God, Only Me" tattoo - 15/06/10

Retired : Inverse Navel @ 1.6mm (10/5/08)
    Microdermal (chest)
    2nd lobe (left) @1.6mm (14/6/08)
    PA @ 2.4mm (16/12/08)

well, once you study economics at all, you realise that magic does exist, only we call it money.

I can't help you with specific places to go, but my advice is to try as many MA classes as you can find. You never know what you're going to be best at or enjoy most until you've had a look at a bit of everything. And don't worry about not being flexible - I wasn't at all when I started training last january and after a few months I was kicking up to head height with no problems at all.
    Cheers mate, I'll do some research and see what I come up with in the area.

NetherSpirit

Hazzard, EKKA karate is generally fine with piercings.

Quote Originally Posted by NetherSpirit View Post
    Hazzard, EKKA karate is generally fine with piercings.
    I seriously doubt that, seeing as they appear to do a lot of sparring and competitions.

NetherSpirit

I seriously doubt that, seeing as they appear to do a lot of sparring and competitions.
    Well obviously you're going to have to remove them then, but sparring is usually only 20 minutes per session anyway. I did it for about 8 years I believe, and never had issues with my piercings.