Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Your Fav Sports

whats your fcn?

Between 2(training/race attire) and 6(commuting in non cycling clothes on my fixed wheel TT'ing bike).

For the purpose of commuter racing (I.e on my fixed in non cycling clothes) I'm a 5 or 6 depending if I have my cycling shoes at hand or not.

mine is 6, i did scalp a road rider yesterday who had a fcn of 4

TBH I couldnt be arsed to look other cyclists over and guess scores, I think im past the whole "lol weekend cyclist" "lol lycra" "damn thats a nice bike I have to take over him to show his investment in a 3k bike was a waste of money" thing. Im pretty much focused on me, my riding and my bike. Get some right funny looks when Im riding on my aero bars when commuting, they probly think im going flat out, or they think why is this guy on tri bars at 20mph, or approaching red lights at 15-16mph, but actually its just that im fine tuning my possition and conditioning myself to ride in that possition for long periods by riding in that possition whenever I can Might break out my tri-suit for the commute for laughs

I get sneered at fairly often, have recently even been commented at by what looked like a club run with "This guy is serious" *sarcasm* after looking over my bike as we passed on a junction. Thing is they probly talked about that as a highlight from their ride, "we saw some guy riding a a TT bike in baggy shorts and flats, it was so funny". I really hope I dont end up having a club mentality like that.

This is probly because I mostly ride my fixed bike (which was a cheap track bike, not a fakenger style fixie) with tri bars, lo-pro base bars and a front brake (time trial equip and setup basically) etc so all the hipsters sneer because its not tricked out with velocity rims and luminous paintjobs and some pansy gearing allowing them to lock their legs out etc, the roadies generally seem to look me over and then nose up because its not a cervelo tri bike and didnt cost me 2k. Most commuters or hybrid riders just dont give a damn about anything, and then there's the mtb riders who feel the need to prove that their slicked up mtb can go as fast as a road bike and will try to cling to your wheel as hard as they can and you can hear them panting while you havent even wound up yet. Or they do just get ahead using max effort then blow up big time and drop a mile back gasping.

I try not to think about it or get caught up in it at all, if someone wants to count me as a scalp for their score, they are welcome to the points as long as they dont impede me later on down the road after they blow up or by riding like a c*ck end once they are in front

One thing I've noticed is I enjoy riding my cheap TT conversion more than my expensive racing bike, since Im not always so worried about coming off it or damaging it, if these people riding expensive bikes are anything like me they are riding around worried about damaging their pride and joy and only getting half of the enjoyment, or maybe thats just me. My racer does about 20 miles for every 300 I do on my fixed.
    Last edited by TheArctopus; 05-17-2010 at 11:34 AM.

My favorites would have to be :
    Hockey, Baseball, collegiate wrestling, lacrosse, and soccer.
    Have : Septum and Nipples
    Want : Apadravya, Vertical Labret, 4mm Lobes, and Eyebrow
    Tattoos : Chest piece, Inner lip, Wings on legs. Circle on back of knee, Rose inside of a spider web on elbow
    Happening Soon : "Regret Will Be Your Bride" On my stomach under my belly button. Maybe a phoenix.
    Want : Wings done on back to cover up 90% of my back.
    Drawing : Drawing up rough drafts for my sleeve
    Possible : Nipples
    Had : Tongue, Right side of lip, Anti eyebrow

thearctopus, you seem pretty serious

I only do commuter racing for a bit of fun. just to make my ride to work more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
    thearctopus, you seem pretty serious

I only do commuter racing for a bit of fun. just to make my ride to work more interesting
    Im not particularly serious, but I'd very much like to be putting in competative times, i.e. sub 23 minute 10 mile time trials. Hence why I care more about how hard im working and not deviating from my plan to try and stop some dude on his slicked up mtb trying to overtake me On my commute, racing other commuters is verging on the idiotic, because the road surfaces are atrocious and the road is allegedly the bussiest bus lane in Europe. Ive seen some commuters do some ridiculous things and just thought, one mistake or one pot hole and these guys are dead.

In addition to this, I got knocked off while travelling at about 22mph approximatelly 6 weeks ago by some moton (he turned into a side street without looking in his wing mirrors and I nailed the back passenger door as I made some attempt to turn into the corner alongside the car in an attempt to take the edge of it - luckily he admitted fault and provided details etc), so Im very aware of other cars doing stupid things where visibility is not so great due to the masses of traffic and busses.
    Last edited by TheArctopus; 05-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.

To do: Swimming, horse riding, archery & rock climbing
    To watch: Boxing
    Past
    2x eyebrow
    monroe
    nostril

Present

Left ear; lobes- 10mm & 2x 1.6mm, 1.6mm conch.
    Right ear; lobes- 10mm & 2x 1.6mm

13 tattoos

Future
    12mm lobes
    more tattoos

Football, Hockey, Tennis, MMA, Golf, Cricket, Skiing...pretty much most sports. What can I say, I'm a competive person haha :P

AMERICAN football.