Thread: Hair Thread

Mm, I'd say it's wavy. When it's short it goes all ringlety, but when it's long it's too heavy for them.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Faux Snug (1x Conch/1x Helix)
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Mm, I'd say it's wavy. When it's short it goes all ringlety, but when it's long it's too heavy for them.
    Sounds like it could be curly but as long as it's not straight, I can help lol!

Best thing to do is know what ingredients to avoid. With shampoo it's things like SLS (sodium laryl sulphate/sodium laureth sulphate) are the main ones. These are detergents that strip the hair to get rid of things like product (think sticky like hairspray, wax, mousse, gel), they also create a lather because without that people think their hair isn't getting "clean", however they are harsh and strip natural oils out of the hair. Because of this companies can then sell you the matching conditioner that then makes your hair look and feel silky (notice the "look and feel" part), these conditioners most of the time have things called silicones in them, dimethicone being one of the most popular ones. These silicones or "cones" coat the hair shaft and smooth it down making it feel smooth. What they do is flatten the hair shaft and close off the cuticle to protect it somewhat, however as they sit on the hair they make it go greasy after a short time and hey presto, you need to use that SLS based shampoo again to get it out.

Are you seeing a pattern here? Wonderful marketing isn't it?

So, there's other ways to wash your hair:

Lo-Poo - this is where you use a shampoo that doesn't have SLS's in it, they do lather a little bit as they have coconut or other veggie based cleansers in them but they're nowhere near as harsh, follow with a cone free conditioner.
    Co-washing - this is where you cover your mids-ends with conditioner, then shampoo the scalp-roots and rinse, as you rinse, the mids-ends are protected by the conditioner so the SLS's don't damage it as much. Follow with a cone free conditioner.
    Conditioner Only (CO) - no shampoo here, use a botanical conditioner (this is one with no cones but also packed with natural oils like jojoba, lavender, tea tree etc) or a cleansing conditioner (Palmers make a popular one). Here you use the conditioner to cleanse the scalp and the hair.
    Water Only/Scritching (WO) - I don't recommend this for wavy/curly hair, we need moisture too much for this.

Tips:

Curlies neeeeeeed moisture, for this reason you might want to start not completely washing out all the conditioner in your hair, leave some in and see how you go, some also use a leave-in conditioner as well/instead.
    Stop using any heat, hairdyers included, if you absolutely, totally must use a hairdryer then get a diffuser and a hairdryer that has a cold/low heat setting.
    Whenever you can, just let your hair dry naturally, you can use a t-shirt or t-shirt like material to scrunch the hair when soaking wet.
    Google "squish to condish" for a new way to condition your hair.
    Don't use products that contain cones or harsh alcohols (this is because you'll have to use an SLS shampoo to get them out).
    Don't use products that have mineral oil in them for the same reason.
    Educate yourself, the British Curlies website is awesome, as is Lorraine Massey's "The Curly Girl Handbook". You'll learn loads about good/bad ingredients there.
    Be patient - your curls will not transform overnight (although some do see amazing results quickly) and it may take you a long time to work out what your hair likes/dislikes.
    Try to avoid scraping your hair back or using tools that might damage it.
    Learn how to trim your own hair (the vast majority of hairdressers have no clue how to treat or cut curly hair properly).
    Get used to reading the ingredients list on every hair product you pick up, I know it's boring but it's worth it.
    Once you decide to ditch the "bad" stuff clarify your hair one last time to get rid of build up.

Umm that's all I can think of for now.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 91 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

That's very helpful, thanks! ^_^ As it happens, I rarely use a hair dryer, because I like how my hair looks when dried naturally. Pretty much short of the dye/bleach and SLS/cone stuff, I don't do anything to my hair, at all.

What would you say on the hair dye front though? Not in a 'I want to continue dying my hair', but it's a faded green/blue with a couple of inches of brunette roots right now! It's going to look a mess growing out. Would it be best to stick a 'natural colour' on?

Also, out of interest, would continuing to bleach and dye (non-natural colours; the ones I use are vegan friendly. Still full of rubbish, I'm sure, but I've found they're much nicer on my hair than non vegan, ammonia based stuff) negate the pros of natural washing? I don't think I can really have funky coloured hair as of October anyway, it it'd be interesting to know all the same.

EDIT;; I just looked at the ingredients of the dye I use; it's got alcohol in it, which you already mentioned needed SLS to wash out. So I'm guessing it wouldn't work over well! Although, generally speaking, you don't want dye to wash out. But I'm sure the stuff still knackers your hair.
    Last edited by Jester; 09-01-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

The dye thing is down to you really. Veggie dyes are fine, they don't contain anything harsh and usually don't contain cones either, I use them occasionally. The bleach is going to damage your hair no matter what but it's all about damage limitation tbh so doing what you can is always going to help.

Certain alcohols are fine, some aren't, do some digging around and you can find lists of what's ok and what isn't.

I even have gel and hairspray that's ok, it comes out with conditioner
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Does anyone know if hair colour remover will work with non-natural colours? I'm thinking I might like to go back to blonde, rather than brunette, for work (it's less restrictive should I want to start dying it again).
    Piercings
    3x Standard Lobe
    1x 4mm Lobe
    2x Helix
    1x Rook
    2x Navel

1x Nipple
    1x Triangle
    1x Septum
    1x Daith

Tattoos
    Side Piece; 5.5 hours

Other
    1x Magnetic Implant

Does anyone know if hair colour remover will work with non-natural colours? I'm thinking I might like to go back to blonde, rather than brunette, for work (it's less restrictive should I want to start dying it again).
    Some people have had success, always be ready for it being left patchy though.

So my mom is coming to town this weekend and she said "lets get makeovers, haircuts, etc! It'll be great!" and I'm like yeah, that's awesome!

"Maybe we can finally get rid of that awful purple in your hair!"

Whoomp, there it is.

I will now spend the next three days of my life convincing her that my purple hair is here to stay.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

In my experience with blues and greens (the hardest ones to get out). Buy some strong vitamin c tablets and crush them on, mix with a dandruff shampoo and leave in your hair for 4 hours a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiequeefs View Post
    In my experience with blues and greens (the hardest ones to get out). Buy some strong vitamin c tablets and crush them on, mix with a dandruff shampoo and leave in your hair for 4 hours a couple times.
    I remember trying that, didn't do a thing sadly. My hair grips colour like crazy.

I am still loving Moo Goo, only using it 1-2 times a week and my scalp hasn't flared up one bit. It does flatten my curls out a bit but I can fix that separately.

Totally impressed!

Happy with my hair this weekend, someone said I look like Merida, makes my day!