Thread: Hair Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    That looks so cool!

Cant attest to to color but if it goes gooey you can't really tell by looking at it... How processed is your hair now?

I haven't dyed it for over a year but wash and condition it every day. Also use a hairdryer every day and straighten the ends almost every day (which I'll be getting snipped)
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Ah. you should be ok. To keep it healthy afterwards maybe cut down on the shampoo and hairdryer/iron if you can.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

I can probably cut down on the straighteners but definitely not the shampoo lol. My hair gets greasy daily and has to be washed every day :/
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by IckleNatStar View Post
    Do I dye my hair before or after I go to Egypt for a week? I'm thinking afterwards cos sun and saltwater is gonna strip it a bit anyway?
    Deffo after!

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    I haven't dyed it for over a year but wash and condition it every day. Also use a hairdryer every day and straighten the ends almost every day (which I'll be getting snipped)
    Be very careful after you get it done as I assume they'll be bleaching it as bleach and SLS + heat every day is going to be extremely damaging. It won't help if you use silicones either as they'll be sat on your hair and then fry it even more when it gets heated.

The greasy thing happens with most people because they get caught in a cycle of needing to shampoo which sets off an over production of oil which makes the hair greasy so people wash it.

It's the shampoo manufacturers dream!
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Yeah the first week of quitting shampoo isn't pretty but it gets better! I used to shampoo every day and be gross if I missed a day but now I shampoo maybe twice a week
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -Winston Churchill

Current: 4x lobes, left industrial, right helix, right nostril, left conch, 2x diagonal(ish) nipples, right daith, left surface tragus

Tats: 3 hours, 2 pieces

Any silicone free shampoos you'd recommend Hazel? I'm using those new Garnier ones at the moment (I think they're Garnier anyway!) but I think that still has other bad stuff in? A few years ago I started alternating days that I shampooed and just made sure I conditioned every day. Maybe I'll start doing that again if that could help?
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    Any silicone free shampoos you'd recommend Hazel? I'm using those new Garnier ones at the moment (I think they're Garnier anyway!) but I think that still has other bad stuff in? A few years ago I started alternating days that I shampooed and just made sure I conditioned every day. Maybe I'll start doing that again if that could help?
    I don't know much about shampoos tbh as I don't use it. Silicones are often in conditioners to give them "slip" and make your hair feel soft.

If you feel you really can't go through the 1-2 week greasy stage of giving up shampoo or you use products that have to be washed out by it then go for non SLS shampoos like Naked. You want to be looking for coco betaine and/or cocamidoprpyl betaine instead of SLS (sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate). Some Garnier stuff is ok silicone-wise as far as I know. Just depends on which one but dimethicone is the biggest used silicone in conditioners, some shampoos, serums and heat protectants etc (look for anything ending in -cone it will be a silicone). It basically sits on top of the hair to make it look/feel shiny/smooth without giving any other benefits whereas natural oils and botanicals will.

After reading some articles and also seeing Lush's stance on their use of SLS (they even put it in most of their conditioners which I honestly find bizarre) I do not in any way shape or form think SLSs are dangerous, cancer causing etc. I just think they're a poor option when you can have a MUCH less harsh alternative. That said some companies (Lush included) use a lot less SLS than some so they can be an option as well.

It's just a case of doing your research and finding out what works best for you. I'm a year or so into going CG only and I'm still working some things out.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Dry shampoo? Can easily get another day out of your hair

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssssa :) View Post
    Dry shampoo? Can easily get another day out of your hair
    Yus, loads of no-poo people use it to get over the greasy stage!

I used to wash my hair every other day and dry shampoo the night I didn't. Now I can go 2 days with nothing and then another 2 with the help of dry shampoo. awesome stuff

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.