Thread: Hair Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thehorror View Post
    I don't own a hair dryer, I use sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, I use a boar bristle brush on my dry hair and a wide seamless comb when wet... Bleach and color however, guilty as charged.
    Do the poo/cond have cones?

If they do then they will be permanently building up on your hair as the SLS shampoo can't clean them out, leading to flat hair with little volume.

My hurrr today, this is post swimming just condish on after and air dry in the car, touch of a halo (aka "frizz") but otherwise pretty happy with it! I'd normally have put a mask on and/or leave in condish too.

Last edited by Boo; 02-05-2015 at 01:47 AM.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal, 5mm conch punch
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    Tattoos: 95 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hazel your hair looks incredible, reminds me of River Song from doctor who and that's definitely a good thing!

I dyed mind again last night and it's super bright ginger, I love it!

Also on the routine thing, I wash and condition at least every other day, usually more if I'm at work, and I do a deep conditioning mask thing once or twice a week. I honestly can't imagine washing my hair any less because I get some awful stuff in it at work and frankly I'd just feel gros if it didn't get shampooed out as soon as I got home
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Hazel your hair is phenomenal

My hair is slightly wavy and it's part virgin, part henna'd and part bleached & dyed (bottom 10"). I wash once a week with a small amount of SLS shampoo, really just to get my scalp clean, and then "squish" it down the lengths and rinse through. Followed by cone-free conditioner. I did try going SLS-free but I never felt it got my hair clean - I'd have to really scrub, and do it twice - so I compromise by using the minimum of 'poo.
    Now that I have a bleached bit I'm doing protein and deep-conditioning treatments at least once a month. Got to have that polyfilla and I seek & destroy split ends periodically. I got freakin loads after bleaching so I'm giving it a rest for a good while despite it not being as light as I want. I've got a colour I like atm so I can go back to my gentle routine.

I've got wide-toothed combs (plastic and wood), tangle teezers, an ordinary paddle brush and a boar-and-nylon bristle brush. I've gone right off wide tooth combs recently though, I find fingercombing is gentler and more effective.
    I don't use heat, I don't use styling products. I use a smooth microfibre towel to wrap my hair in after washing.
    If I'm at home I usually shove it in a quick bun with a hairstick (chopstick) or braid it. It almost never gets let loose. Although it's in a ponytail today, which is odd.
    At work I use spin pins to make an indestructable cinnabun which fits under my hardhat, or again braid it. For helicopter rides it goes in a single, central braid. It's the best I can do to get in & out of my drysuit, lifejacket, seat straps etc while ensuring the suit's hood would go over my head easily if it ever needed to.

Speaking of products, has anyone tried Aussie Miracle Recharge Moisture Infuser? It's a leave-in conditioner, "lightweight conditioning spray", and shockingly for Aussie, it's cone-free!
    I just got it in a "2 for 7" offer with Tresemme Naturals conditioner at asda. I haven't tried it yet but it smells lovely. They have a whole range of these leave-in conditioner sprays but most of them are coney.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by IckleNatStar View Post
    Hazel your hair looks incredible, reminds me of River Song from doctor who and that's definitely a good thing!

I dyed mind again last night and it's super bright ginger, I love it!

Also on the routine thing, I wash and condition at least every other day, usually more if I'm at work, and I do a deep conditioning mask thing once or twice a week. I honestly can't imagine washing my hair any less because I get some awful stuff in it at work and frankly I'd just feel gros if it didn't get shampooed out as soon as I got home
    Thank you, I know what you mean with Rivers hair, I wish mine was as thick as hers but it's not far off

Your routine is understandable with your job!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    Hazel your hair is phenomenal

My hair is slightly wavy and it's part virgin, part henna'd and part bleached & dyed (bottom 10"). I wash once a week with a small amount of SLS shampoo, really just to get my scalp clean, and then "squish" it down the lengths and rinse through. Followed by cone-free conditioner. I did try going SLS-free but I never felt it got my hair clean - I'd have to really scrub, and do it twice - so I compromise by using the minimum of 'poo.
    Now that I have a bleached bit I'm doing protein and deep-conditioning treatments at least once a month. Got to have that polyfilla and I seek & destroy split ends periodically. I got freakin loads after bleaching so I'm giving it a rest for a good while despite it not being as light as I want. I've got a colour I like atm so I can go back to my gentle routine.

I've got wide-toothed combs (plastic and wood), tangle teezers, an ordinary paddle brush and a boar-and-nylon bristle brush. I've gone right off wide tooth combs recently though, I find fingercombing is gentler and more effective.
    I don't use heat, I don't use styling products. I use a smooth microfibre towel to wrap my hair in after washing.
    If I'm at home I usually shove it in a quick bun with a hairstick (chopstick) or braid it. It almost never gets let loose. Although it's in a ponytail today, which is odd.
    At work I use spin pins to make an indestructable cinnabun which fits under my hardhat, or again braid it. For helicopter rides it goes in a single, central braid. It's the best I can do to get in & out of my drysuit, lifejacket, seat straps etc while ensuring the suit's hood would go over my head easily if it ever needed to.

Speaking of products, has anyone tried Aussie Miracle Recharge Moisture Infuser? It's a leave-in conditioner, "lightweight conditioning spray", and shockingly for Aussie, it's cone-free!
    I just got it in a "2 for 7" offer with Tresemme Naturals conditioner at asda. I haven't tried it yet but it smells lovely. They have a whole range of these leave-in conditioner sprays but most of them are coney.
    Thank you! Quite a few girls on the British Curlies forum like the Aussie stuff and loads use Tresemme - it didn't do much for my hair sadly.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x7, semi permanent eyebrows, semi permanent eyeliner, semi permanent lipstick, lip dermal filler, botox
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 4 philtrum, 4 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 3 upper conch, conch, 5 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS*****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Hazel, with the stuff you use for your hair, does it still feel weird after washing it? I find where I am, being over 35*C all the time, my hair get so gross silicone free shampoo and conditioner just doesn't get all the ick out of my hair! I find it feels like it doesn't dry properly and feels just as gross as before I washed it. I have to wash my hair every couple of days or I feel like it's not clean.

Which is a big change from when I was younger, I never brushed it, washed it, tied it up, nothing. And now that I care about my hair, it doesn't want to do a thing for me!
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Quote Originally Posted by Firedrake View Post
    Hazel, with the stuff you use for your hair, does it still feel weird after washing it? I find where I am, being over 35*C all the time, my hair get so gross silicone free shampoo and conditioner just doesn't get all the ick out of my hair! I find it feels like it doesn't dry properly and feels just as gross as before I washed it. I have to wash my hair every couple of days or I feel like it's not clean.

Which is a big change from when I was younger, I never brushed it, washed it, tied it up, nothing. And now that I care about my hair, it doesn't want to do a thing for me!
    No it feels fine, my hair takes ages to dry as well but that's just my hair, it can feel odd just after washing but I always have perfect "2nd day hair". Maybe try using a different conditioner, I've had to cycle through lots in the past year and am still working out what's best for me.

How long have you gone not using SLS and silicones and did you clarify first? Do you use any other products on it? Is your hair curly too?

Just gunna throw my two cents on sulphate/silicone free haircare.

I currently use the Loreal Expertise range, they're mid-range in price and usually on 3 for 10 in Boots.
    I've had no build up using them and my hair always feels soft and I can go up to a week (pushing it) in between washes as my hair just doesn't produce as much oil anymore.
    Bits of me that have been stabbed
    8mm lobes
    2nd lobes
    left rook
    right helix & tragus
    right conch
    paired nostrils
    philtrum
    nape MD
    nipples

Tumblr
    /Facebook/Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by marthamagic View Post
    Just gunna throw my two cents on sulphate/silicone free haircare.

I currently use the Loreal Expertise range, they're mid-range in price and usually on 3 for 10 in Boots.
    I've had no build up using them and my hair always feels soft and I can go up to a week (pushing it) in between washes as my hair just doesn't produce as much oil anymore.
    I'm loving their EverSleek hair mask

I honestly think the Palmers cleansing conditioner is epic, first mid range co-cleanser I know of 500ml for a fiver, it's epic! And no weird stuff like I found in that Garnier Ultimate blends stuff.

I need a haircut so bad! Putting it off as per usual because its so long right now and they cut so much off :( 3 months of sea and sun followed by a dramatic drop to England temperatures has made my scalp/hair so dry that a lot has broken off resulting in it being all uneven.

Does anyone know where you can buy GK hair stuff cheaply?

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

I've only been using it a couple of months, I didn't clarify or anything first, just stopped using the bad stuff. My hair is sort of wavy, straighter when it's long, usually I just have it tied up because it's so hot having it down here, one more reason to love winter.

Maybe I just need to try a different brand?
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed