Thread: Painful ear cartilage piercing - advice wanted!

Default Painful ear cartilage piercing - advice wanted!

Hi guys,

I used to post on here a while back but alas with moving to a completely new part of the country and one thing and another I've not been on here for AGES!

However, I'm after a bit of advice. :arrow:

I had my ear cartilage pierced back last August at my old body piercers. After a tiny bit of difficulty getting the needle through (apparently my cartilage is exceptionally tough!), the piercing was all done and dusted. It looked great (BCR in place). I looked after it in the desired manner just as I had done my other piercings. It bruised a bit but that was to be expected given the amount of force required to get the piercing done in the first place! All healed nicely. No infections or anything.

However, I have never been out of pain with the piercing. It isn't major pain (or else I'd have given up with it long ago!) but it is regular pain just when the piercing or anywhere near it is touched. It is naturally especially painful to lie on.

Like I say, it never was (and still isn't) infected. Indeed, it has healed now anyway. But why the pain? I've read about all the boils, absesses, infections, migration, nickel sensitivity, etc, etc, but none seem to apply. The only thing I can think of is just that the BCR "sits" funny when I lie on it and consequently continues bruising my ear of a nighttime (as I tend to only be able to get to sleep on my left side!) Perhaps the ball on the BCR is just continually bruising my ear itself, hence causing that type of pain on touching the ear or indeed just lying on it?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Bizarrely I had the exact same problem with my tragus piercing too which I had done the year before my cartilage. It was a sort of "bruising" pain for months and months despite not being infected or anything. That has now completely gone though and I have no pain there whatsoever. But then a tragus does tend to sit a bit more comfortably against your head when lying on it in bed....

(That is just the only theory I can come up with so any other suggestions will be much appreciated)

Thanks!

Sarah
    Sarah

That is a bit strange. I don't really know what to suggest. Maybe you could try wearing something else in it, like a barbell so it wouldn't be awkward to lie on it.

sounds like it hasnt completely healed, or its being irritated.. id suggest wearing a labret stud or straight barbel, i find cartilage piercings are always more comfortable with barbels, as BCRs put more pressure on the piercing cause of the curve, are heavier, and get caught easily.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I've been having a mooch around the BJS shop and was wondering whether you'd recommend wearing a PTFE barbell in it?
    Sarah

could go for PTFE though it doesnt look very nice. I wear 6mm long surgical steel barbels in mine.. though titanium is probs the best option.

Yeah I notice with mine that sometimes it feels sore in the morning cause of my BCR. My BCR is weird though it's one of those spiral ones that always gets caught in my hair and on everything else. But I've gotten used to it and doesn't really bother me anymore.
    I'm not obsessed with piercings... I'm addicted. Piercings are like weed to me.

I don't see my piercings as me trying to alter my image I see them as pieces of me that just haven't been put there yet. Like pieces missing from a puzzle.

Is the BCR you've been wearing titanium? I'm not sure if this is way off but when I had a surgical steel barbell in my snug it was a little bit sore when I slept on it for pretty much the first 9 months until I changed to a titanium barbell and I've had a lot less trouble since. So, if you're allergic to nickel and don't know it yet it could be that it still isnt properly healed and the jewellery is still irritating it. Just another idea really.