No announcement yet.

Horse riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marco wasn't changed that often, I dunno, every 7/8/9 weeks or so, depending on the season and injury and stuff obviously. He had aluminium ones, the really lightweight ones, usually used for show jumpers, but he just loved them to pieces!

Comment

Speaking of shoes, what's your opinion in keeping horses barefoot all year round?
      I would love to be able to do it with a horse, giving it that little bit of extra freedom.

I really like giving horses freedom, like if we are just going for a short hack, I will use a bareback pad and not a saddle.

Comment

Most of the ponies at the yard i work at are barefoot, i think sometimes is just not necessary to put shoes on them. Most of them are native breeds and they dont do a lot of road work etc, mainly just in fields or the school. But i think if they are doing a lot of road work/eventing etc its only fair to put shoes on them or it will just lead to injury. I tried to have my first pony on just front shoes but he ended up continually gettin a poisoned hind rear foot...was gross black puss came outta it and it stunk!!!
        So yeah-i basically think it depends on the breeding and the work load that the horse is involved in.

As for riding bareback..i used to do it all the time! Not on Philly tho cos she had a cold back and had a boney spine! Ive got pictures on me somewhere jumping bout 2'6 bareback...i would never do that now tho!!!

Comment

of our 4, only one is shod, because she is ridden 3 times a week on roads, so needs the extra protection.
          Mo doesnt need shoes, because her feet are like iron, also she doesnt get worked much (or at all as of late) because of her age (18) and the added problems of ringbone :(

Comment

Yeh my highland had feet of iron too-but i still shod her when i started to do pony club and x-country on her (albeit 2' fences!) But a set of shoes lasted forever on her, it was great!

Comment

I'm going to see Galaxy on monday! I can't wait.

Comment

I miss horse riding :(

Kinda the only thing I was ever good at...

Comment

I went to see Galaxy, MEGA let down.

I'm still searching for a new pony.

Comment

Originally posted by si_tragedy View Post
                    I went to see Galaxy, MEGA let down.
                    Why? Lol i'm being nosy :P

Comment

Quite alright, he was a plodder, I tried to get him to do trotting poles, he tripped 3 times in a 8 line!
                      He was slow, out of form, didn't listen to basic instructions, was obviously taught heavy handedly (that's not a word...) because to get him to move I really had to kick, and I felt so bad.

Comment

Yeah, know what you mean. It's horrible when you see people having to boot their horses to make them trot.

Good luck horsey hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by si_tragedy View Post
                          Quite alright, he was a plodder, I tried to get him to do trotting poles, he tripped 3 times in a 8 line!
                          He was slow, out of form, didn't listen to basic instructions, was obviously taught heavy handedly (that's not a word...) because to get him to move I really had to kick, and I felt so bad.
                          Sorry to hear it...my last horse was only the third I looked at, so I was quite lucky.

The first was a 6yr old Han x TB mare, in the ad it said "loves hunting, taken out by 13yr old girl". I went to see her and this young girl said that the owner wasn't there but she could ride her to show me. She then proceeded to plod round on her on a slack rein for about 5 laps of the school, before doing the same in trot. Then she said that she'd never actually jumped her. And she had a really swollen fetlock. I didn't even bother trying her.

The second was a 6yr old DWB x TB mare, hadn't been ridden for 6 months. e got there and her eye was half shut, and she told me that she'd got fly repellant in it earlier. There was no running water in the field she was in, and they had to get bottled water they'd been using for the dog bowl. Anyway I got on her, walked and trotted round in this tiny field, and then the woman told me that I could go abit further down but there were stallions running loose!

I don't have any pics of Kaifoon to hand, as I had him way before I had a digital camera....and I don't have a scanner. I will do at some point though, he was beautiful!

Comment

Lolly 14.2 Anglo-Arab. I've been riding for most of my life, got lolly about 4-5 years ago though
                            I've not ridden in ages, i just wish something could get me motivated again! I realllly want to move yards. eurgh.

Comment

She's GORGEOUS!
                              You have to start riding again!

Comment

she IS nice, what have you done with her? I have a crabbet Arab, but I don't do much riding since my ankle problem of a couple of years ago.. I tell everyone that Rain pushed me out of the horsebox. I miss riding, I have no-one to ride with..

Comment

Working...
                                X