• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 year olds are still young and quite unpredictable though

Comment

• Originally posted by another_goth_kid View Post
      5 year olds are still young and quite unpredictable though
      Yeah they are, you want one old enough to know better, but not too old lol.

Comment

• What age would you recommend? My kids really want a horse. I want one also, but I am not looking forward to the work that one involves. I've been around horses some so I know some of the work that is involved.And I have been doing research on the rest.

Comment

• Originally posted by ringless View Post
          What age would you recommend? My kids really want a horse. I want one also, but I am not looking forward to the work that one involves. I've been around horses some so I know some of the work that is involved.And I have been doing research on the rest.
          you should try to find a good-doer, by that I mean a low-maintenence sort of horse, one which doesn't need lots of feed and can live outside without a rug for most of the year, but he'll need one in december/january time though! It'll cost you less too, i'd say a 8/10 year old cobby type, laid back, but not too lazy!
          And a patient horse has lots of benefits

Comment

• Id also say something over 8 would be much better than a 5year old

Comment

• Agreed, over 8 for sure! If you haven't had a horse before have you considered maybe loaning or sharing one?

Comment

• you really need to be sure of what this horse will be required to do, and to satisfied you are really confident in handling a large animal. Even the sweetest natured horse will take the mick if it realises the owner is lacking in confidence.. Cinnamon spiders' suggestion of a loan or share is a good one, they are a huge commitmen on your own if you aren't sure.

Comment

• At least if you loaned/shared, if the pony wasn't going to work out, you're not stuck with him/her.

I've always had insane ponies & horses lol.
                  Even though i don't ride any more.

Comment

• I haven't heard of any sharing programs in this small town I live in. And I appreciate the information. I am now armed with some really good info. As for the low maintenance horse that is what I want and really here where I live the horse really wouldn't need a blanket. It is Dec and we are having a heat wave.

Comment

• you def wanna go for an older horse tho, as suggested before an 8-10 year old would be best. if it's their first one you could even get an older one, proper school master like. They live a bloody long time, so even if you got a 15yr old, it could last you another 15 yrs!

loaning is also a very good idea, that way if you don't like the horse you're not completey stuck with it, and if your kids lose interest you won't be left with it.

Comment

• Oh the kids will lose interest and I will have the horse all to myself.

Comment

• I have a horse at the moment, but im looking at getting something young that i can break for driving because my mares getting very old. When she was younger she did alot of showing and jumped 3ft 9 which was huge for her . Atm im looking at getting a little shetland and cart and doing some driving. Just need to find the money!

Comment

• I'd like to try driving, but i cant imagine it gives the same rush as hurtling over a 4ft fence on the back of a horse!! until i get badly hurt from a fall or arthritis sets in, i don't think i'll try it.
                            I'll ride till I cant ride anymore!!

Comment

• OK, so I said MONTHS ago that I was going to try a 16hh black TB gelding to have on loan... I've FINALLY seen him, and he's GORGEOUS!!! I'm so happy!! He's got lovely paces and goes down into a fab outline after about 5 mins, even on a HACK!! Beautifully schooled, perfect manners, the whole lot!!

The only thing is, he does seem a bit small for me, especially as I'm used to 17hh-ish types, and he turns into a propler wuss hacking alone... nothing I'm not used to tho.

He's uber quick too, as expected, being off the tracks and all, gave me a shock the first tome we cantered out... turned into a race with the other 2 I was with... galloped for a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong while! Was bloody fun tho!!!

Just thought you might all want to share in my excitement!!

Comment

• Awesome Glad it worked out ok

My horse is being a pain in the ass atm, with Spring approaching and all. Pishhh

Comment

Working...
                                X