Clear All

• Thehorror
    replied
    MORE GERBILS YAY YAY YAY!!!

love gerbils

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    The same information is given by plenty of organisations, breeders, societies etc based on years of research and studies. Rats shouldn't be in small bird cages imo.

But you have your opinions and there's nothing any one can do about that. Your rats, your decision. End of.

I have my opinion too, I won't be offended if someone disagrees with it
    Last edited by Boo; 06-27-2015, 03:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Firedrake
    replied
    Firstly the RSPCA is a joke, here at least. They could give a rats (haha) how many of what animal is in how much space as long as they're looked after, have ample exercise time, aren't living in their own filth and aren't trying to kill each other.
    I mean how much room is ethical for a DOG to live in? They don't seem to care that there are large dogs in tiny apartments with no backyard? Or a working dog in a tiny back or front yard that is all sand because they run up and down the fence all day going psychotic with boredom?

The rats sleep in the same 6 inches of space, together on top of each other, no matter how much they're given.
    To my knowledge none of my rats have ever run up and down their cage exercising, they do play a little bit at night for all of 10 minutes. I know of rats who have lived for years, in a tiny 30cm square cube cage and there were 3 of them in there. They were taken out most days for half an hour or so of exercise and they were fine, they lived long happy ratty lives.

Currently I am giving them as much space as I can, until I can work out a tunnel system to link the two cages together and then they will have even more room that they won't use.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    It was tiny.

2 rats in a 40x30x50 is cramped.

RSPCA ethical minimum standards for a single hamster is a bare minimum of 75Wx40Dx40H!!!

You want to be looking at 2 cu.ft per rat for 2 rats. That other cage isn't enough for 1 rat.

The bare minimum you want to be looking at is 40Wx50Dx70H but only if the space is utilised really well with platforms/shelves and hammocks etc.

I wish shops couldn't even sell things that are too small, it's the same with crappy hamster tanks and rabbit hutches.

Leave a comment:

• Firedrake
    replied
    Scored a cheap almost-new cage this morning, this one is 40Wx30Dx70H, it's HEAPS of room for them.
    I don't think the other cage was "tiny" it wasn't as big as the one they have now but it was just big enough. People who breed rats for food keep them in 60l plastic lab breeding tubs with nothing to do without any problems, so pretty sure the cage would have been fine. Either way they being pets now have a lovely massive cage to run around and climb in.

Leave a comment:

• chain
    replied
    I have two cats and it's big love, trust me! I can add pictures later.

Leave a comment:

• MxSherwood89
    replied
    We groomed a pair of cavvies last week called Charlie & Louie who looked just like your two! Very cute boys <3

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    I'm actually in love with Louie!

Leave a comment:

• Ignitus
    replied
    Willow, 12 year old Welsh Section D gelding, owned for 6 years

Mojo, 9 year old cat, breed unknown, found as an abandoned kitten on my friends' farm, would have died of tapeworm if we hadn't taken her in first cat we've owned

Charlie, 8 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Louie, 7 year old Cavalier KC Spaniel

Coconut & Truffle, 1 year old gerbils (I don't have a pic of Truffle, sorry)

My sister also has a 1 year old long haired Syrian hamster, who I don't have a pic of but he's technically hers, so...

Sorry about the size of these pics...

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Firedrake View Post
    I need to get them a new one, this is what they've been living in, it's a budgie cage, about 40Wx30Dx50H cm.
    Omg that's tiny! O_o

Leave a comment:

• Firedrake
    replied
    I need to get them a new one, this is what they've been living in, it's a budgie cage, about 40Wx30Dx50H cm.
    It's just big enough for these two, and it's not like they do much since they're always asleep in the hammock. Hopefully I can find either another cage to join onto this one as an extension or a bigger one that won't cost my firstborn. The price for freight here is ridiculous, I can get a $50 cage that's twice the size of this one but by the time you factor in getting it here they're about $200
    The last cages I had for my rats were slightly roomier than this because they were square tops cost me $80 each from the "pet store" here.

Leave a comment:

• Thehorror
    replied
    Fur babies!!!

why is the rat cage so small?

Leave a comment:

• Sassi
    replied
    My two kitties

The stormtrooper is holding Charlie and the other little kittie, Frankie is asleep on the towels I'd just washed and folded They're 1 1/2 years old and we got them both last August from a shelter.

Leave a comment:

• Firedrake
    replied
    Woo finally got some pics

New ratties:

The foster cat that became the adopted cat:

And a rather dashing pic of my chihuahua:

Leave a comment:

• Firedrake
    replied
    I got 2 very sweet male rats for free yesterday! Other half finally gave in and said yes so I went and picked them up. They're the grand babies of some of my original ratties!! One is a black and white smooth hooded, and the other is a long/fluffy haired white with 2 black spots.
    I'll post some pics when I get home tonight

Leave a comment:

Working...
X