Junior Member dolly_day_dream4eva's Avatar

Unhappy Anti-helix infection

I had my anti-helix pierced a week ago and it is so swollen now that you can only just seen the bar ends :( it hurts so bad. Anyone have any suggestions to reduce the swelling? I go to Leeds festival in 2 days too. I have been cleaning it with saline solution, anti-septic spray and some piercing fluid that i was given a few months ago from claires accessories. If i went to the doctors do you think they could drain it without removing the bar? Any help will be more than welcome. This is the first time I have had a problem with a piercing. Thanks in advance
    xx
    Piecings = 3 in each lobe, 1 in top of each ear, one half way down left ear, anti-helix and naval

just salt soak it, dont use anything other then that!...........take ibuprofen too, try using salt soaked kitchen towel put it the freezer then apply them to sooth it.........
    BJS straight jacket maker extraudinaire.
    FRIENDLIEST/PRIDE OF BJS AWARD WINNER 2007
    Happy death day to you baby,I know your flying in the blue now.

I'd stop using so many different fluids on it (especially the claires fluid) and stick to hot salt soaks, twice a day until Leeds. 1/4tsp rock salt in a mug of pre-boiled, comfortably hot water, stick your entire ear into the mug (always makes mine feel better ) or just soak kitchen towel or cotton wool pads in it and use them as compresses. You could also try taking ibuprofen. If the swelling is really bad, try soaking some kitchen roll in salt solution, popping it into a plastic bag (like a sandwich bag) and freeze until cold but not icy, then hold that against your ear. Hope it gets better soon!
    Left Ear- 8mm and 1.6mm [downsized] lobes, helix [1.2], tragus [1.2], the rook of doom [1.2];
    Right ear- 8mm lobe, anti-tragus [1.6], helix[1.2];
    navel [1.6]
    Retired: Right rook [1.2], septum[1.6]
    Future Upgrades:
    [metal] left conch, right vertical tragus surface, helix x3
    [ink] art nouveau orchids on lower back. Bottle of ink on lower left calf, fountain pen on lower right calf. Shorthand (white ink) on wrists.

D I R T Y . G A U G E . Q U E E N

Thank you so much any idea how long it will take for the swelling to go down?
    xx
    Piecings = 3 in each lobe, 1 in top of each ear, one half way down left ear, anti-helix and naval

May take a while, it will be cool when healed

Quote Originally Posted by dolly_day_dream4eva
    any idea how long it will take for the swelling to go down?
    xx
    I've always found that cartilege piercings are quick to swell up, and once you've sorted out the problem they are just as quick to go down. chances are that you've been overcleaning it or you've had a reaction to the cleaning solution, so once thats out of the equation and you're giving it some tlc it should go down quickly. Hot salt soaks will draw any nasty stuff out of the piercing as well.
    Left Ear- 8mm and 1.6mm [downsized] lobes, helix [1.2], tragus [1.2], the rook of doom [1.2];
    Right ear- 8mm lobe, anti-tragus [1.6], helix[1.2];
    navel [1.6]
    Retired: Right rook [1.2], septum[1.6]
    Future Upgrades:
    [metal] left conch, right vertical tragus surface, helix x3
    [ink] art nouveau orchids on lower back. Bottle of ink on lower left calf, fountain pen on lower right calf. Shorthand (white ink) on wrists.

D I R T Y . G A U G E . Q U E E N

I think it is because I fiddle with my earings alot and I also move alot inmy sleep. The swelling hasn't gone down any today so I may go to the doctors to see if they can drain out all of the nasty juices and hopefully keep the bar in. Hopefully. Thanks for all your help xx

Hope it feels better soon (: