Thread: Tattoo guns - were we palmed off?

Question Tattoo guns - were we palmed off?

Hello! - Apologies as this may be a "stupid question of 2017" I just don't know enough about it to be honest. We really prefer having tattoo's done with a Rotary Tattoo gun as with every coil one we have had can really hurt. I said several times to our new tattooist that we would like a rotary gun tattoo etc... (We were told before we went there we had a choice).

Then when we had the tattoos we asked again about the rotary etc....(subject kept being changed). When we were being tattooed it seemed noisy as you could not really make out what the tattooist was saying very well and the needles looked like long needles with round ends a bit like a hook in the top. I think he had to have a good fiddle with it to change the needle. He said (the top bits that are near to were you grab) he makes himself. I am so sure this was a coil tattoo gun.

My chest tattoo was first done with a rotary elsewhere and it wasn't too bad pain wise. The ink clotted and it was a mess and had to be gone over again. This time it was murder. And I have never moaned so much. Are there Rotaries that really look like coil guns as they must have different makes? I know some Rotary guns have cartridges with the needles you just place in the end of the gun. Have we been palmed off so to speak?

It's just that if you can find a tattoo gun that doesn't hurt so much it is better for all. Sorry, to have gone on.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 08-20-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spellings
    Left side - 2x Ear Lobes, Daith, Helix, Rook.

Right side - 2x Ear Lobes, Daith, Tragus, Nostril, Helix.

Sadly Retired Eyebrow. :(

Tattoo's!

I can answer you properly later but just as a starting point they are not guns, they're machines. Just in case you have been doing any googling for reference you'll get better results by not using the term gun
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 2 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Okies, big warning bells to start with. I find it odd that an artist would say they will tattoo you with the machine of your choice as most have a strong preference but I guess it's not impossible for someone to be equally happy to work with both and to use both, just unusual. Also "subject kept being changed" I find that worrying as well and would have personally considered walking out. But that's just me! As you know coils are a fair bit noisier than rotary so that's one giveaway.

Some info on each:

As you can see, the main difference is the coils in the coil machine compared to a compact rotary. The coil will usually have 2 coils, most of the noise is caused by the electromagnetic current being passed through the coils to move the armature bar. Many beginners like coil machines and often stick with them due to the feedback they get so they know if they're being too harsh with pressure etc.

Rotary are very quiet with a small motor that spins to move the needle bar.

Of course they're the inner workings, when you see them they will look something like this:

Examples of coil machines:

And examples of a rotary machine:

Hopefully this will help you? If they have agreed to tattoo you with one style of machine and then used another then I would steer very clear of them and make a complaint if you think it valid to do so as that's incredibly unprofessional and quite frankly worrying.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 2 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Couple more comparisons:

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thank you so much for your help Hazel. xx It is much appreciated. I think to be honest as we cannot get a proper answer I think the "trust" has now gone. I'm stupidly really upset about it all. Thank you for posting the pictures for me. I had been looking online and yes - using the word "gun" instead of machine lol...

It is confusing as the machine he was using (where the coils are shown in the photographs) was really quite bulky but I could not make out if coils were in them. But, yes it was very noisy as you know rotaries are quiet.

Oh, what it takes to find a decent tattooist!

Tattoo's!

Who is the artist? Any pics of them using their machine? Could possibly be able to tell.

It is hard finding a good artist, I spent over a year looking for mine.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Hi Hazel, Glad you found a decent tattooist in the end. It is very frustrating to find one!

I have looked all over the internet for pics of "the artist" tattooing. Sadly there isn't any. I will not say who they are on here but, I can send you a private/direct message if you would like? (You are very welcome to look). Knowing my luck if I mention them on here they will find it and guess it is us lol...

Tattoo's!

I doubt they can do anything to harm you if you state who it is. I'd take up your offer but I'm currently slammed at the moment with work and 4 weeks til my wedding.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Oh, yes! congratulations on your Wedding. Hope you all have a lovely day. xx
    Last edited by Mazzy; 09-01-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Tattoo's!

We went to see a new Tattoo Studio this week. I mentioned about Rotaries and the coil machines. He uses both and said that I could have what I liked if it was possible but, the Rotary was used for shading anyway. Because we popped in at a time when he was not busy the tattooist's showed us the difference between the tattoo machines and the sound. Sound wise big difference. I think we were "coiled" at the last place.

Trouble is going somewhere new mum and I have found more tattoo designs. Bang goes the words "no more tattoos".

Tattoo's!