Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My septum piercing experience

Default My septum piercing experience

I got my septum pierced by Amber at Fourleaf Piercing in Worcester on Friday 28 July. Here's how it went:

Background

I'd previously had my nipples pierced two years ago at a local studio, but they didn't last a week as the placement was awful. Since then, I'd periodically thought about getting them redone, but never went through with it. I did actually make an appointment last month at a different studio to get them re-pierced (as well as a tongue piercing) but I chickened out with two days remaining. I resolved not to think about piercings again, which lasted about a week. This time, I was thinking of swapping tongue for septum. Then I dropped the nipple part. I had some worries about placement (the bottom of my nostrils is curved, which I thought might mean that the jewellery would be visible from the side, even when flipped up), but decided to bite the bullet, making an appointment on Monday 24th. I was rather stressed for the rest of the week; I kept telling myself not to chicken out and that I should at least go and talk to the piercer and see what my options were.

Day 1 - Friday 28 July

I drove the 50-odd miles to Worcester, parked and made my way to the studio. When I got there, I walked straight past the entrance and hung around on the street corner for a bit. There were still a few minutes before my appointment, so I wandered around the block before returning. My hand found the door handle, and I found myself inside.

Inside, I encountered Amber by the front desk and I told her I had an appointment. She gave me a consent form to fill in and then requested that I go to the top floor and take a seat in a waiting room. A few minutes later, I was invited into one of the piercing rooms. We chatted about piercings and why I'd chosen this particular one. I took the opportunity to mention my concerns about placement. Amber told me that she would be piercing at the front and high up, so it would not be visible. I was most relieved.

I was then asked to sit on the edge of the doctor's couch/bed. After cleaning it with a wipe, Amber marked the bottom of my nose with a pen, explaining that this would be used for guidance only and didn't indicate where the piercing would be. I was asked to choose a piece of jewellery: I selected a circular barbell (16g).

Amber got all the necessary items together (all brand new and sterile, and she unwrapped them in front of me). I was asked to take off my glasses and sit upright, looking straight ahead. The inside of my nose was cleaned and the clamps were positioned. I was dreading this bit, but it was truly not bad at all. It was merely uncomfortable.

The moment of truth had arrived. "I'm actually doing this", I thought. Amber told me that she was positioning the needle, to close my eyes if I wanted (I did), then to take a deep breath when I was ready and exhale. As I started to exhale, I felt a very brief and very slight pain as the needle passed through my nose. It really didn't hurt at all: on a scale of 1 to 10, 3 (at most); it lasted no time at all. I don't think my eyes watered either.

Amber then threaded the jewellery into the piercing, before attending to a little bleeding. The balls were installed and there was a bit more clean-up. It felt very strange; I could definitely sense something weird on/in my face.

I was invited to look at the results in the mirror. There was a small circular barbell at the front of my nose! I'd actually got a piercing! I turned to look side-on and could see that the placement was perfect. I'd been worrying for nothing. I was thrilled.

I was then led through the procedure for flipping up and took another look in the mirror afterwards. When flipped up, you cannot see it at all, unless you look directly up my nose. Hopefully no-one will do that. I was told that I should flip it up or down at most once per day. Amber offered to flip it back down for me, but I decided to keep it where it was until healed. I was talked through aftercare steps and given a sheet of instructions.

And that was it. I thanked Amber profusely, gave her a hug and bade her goodbye. Back downstairs, I paid (and tipped).

Aftermath

I could feel a mild pain from my nose after about five or ten minutes walking outside and I found myself repeatedly checking whether the jewellery was still in place. After getting something sugary to eat and a drink, I drove home. The pain (such as it was) ebbed and flowed for a while, but eventually started to subside.

During the first evening, I couldn't feel any pain or discomfort. Most of the time, I couldn't actually tell it was there, unless I stretched my upper lip as if I was going to flip the jewellery down. I found it a bit more noticeable when eating: a slight tickling/rubbing sensation as my jaw shifts. Looking up my nose, I can see that the balls are resting on a ridge, which stops them moving down further; presumably they're bumping against this a bit. I did a sea salt soak later on, and also cleaned up some dried blood with cotton wool buds.

I was hugely impressed with Amber and Fourleaf Piercing: they were superb, and I'd definitely consider going back.

(There are no photos as I cannot stand being photographed. And you wouldn't want to see up my nose anyway.)

So pleased for you. It can be a very anxious time in the run up to a new piercing, but hopefully now you've been to the studio and had a good experience it'll make any future visits less anxiety filled.

I hope your your healing goes well! I'm sure no one will notice, people don't tend to look up other people's noses. It sounds perfectly hidden.
    Jess

Current piercings:
    Left ear - 3x outer conch, tragus, lobes. Right ear - 3x forward helix, conch, lobes. Right nostril.

Retired:
    Tongue

Wish list:
    Philtrum, septum, tongue, nipples, VCH, triangle, multiple lobe piercings, conch and possibly a snug or two. Oh and I dream of lots of ink too!

Day 2 - Saturday 29 July

When I got up this morning, I went straight to the bathroom to look up my nose. The jewellery was still there, and didn't seem to have moved overnight. It didn't hurt or anything. However, as I finished breakfast, I felt something oozing down one nostril. Careful use of kitchen towel revealed a small amount of blood.

I went back upstairs and used a couple of cotton wool buds soaked in hot water to clean things up temporarily. I then gave the piercing a proper saline soak - this made it feel a lot better.

On going for a walk, I could feel the jewellery moving about, which is a strange sensation. As mentioned in my first post on this thread, the balls on the barbell rest on a bit of cartilage (?) inside my nose. I assume it's bumping against this with the movement of my body. I get the same feeling when I eat as well. Is this normal?

As I walked, I could periodically feel a little discomfort and another sensation of oozing. I dabbed at my nose carefully with a piece of kitchen towel. There was a tiny bit of blood, but nothing more. It itched a bit as well. I inspected my nose once again when I got back home; there wasn't any visible blood, but it was a little wet (as if my nose was running). Mid-afternoon, I spotted some dried blood at the edge of my nostrils, so I cleaned that off as well (hot water only). It was fine for the rest of the afternoon and into the night, though it ached a bit at times.

I've been taking extra vitamin C and zinc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aley75 View Post
    Is this normal?
    Yep. Happy healing, they're often extremely easy healers.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Thanks, that's very reassuring. It does feel weird when it shifts around slightly, but I'm glad it's nothing to be worried about.

Day 3 - Sunday 30 July

This was quite an uneventful day. My nose ran a bit first thing and mid-afternoon and itched a bit. It's tender to touch, though I'm trying not to; it also aches from time to time. When I went out for another walk during the afternoon, the jewellery didn't seem to sway about as much as it had previously.

It still feels odd to think that I (nearly 42) finally have a piercing. Still, better late than never.

I totally agree, better late than never. I seem to recall reading that nose running was a common affect of septum piercings. My nostril piercing gave me a runny nose.
    Jess

Current piercings:
    Left ear - 3x outer conch, tragus, lobes. Right ear - 3x forward helix, conch, lobes. Right nostril.

Retired:
    Tongue

Wish list:
    Philtrum, septum, tongue, nipples, VCH, triangle, multiple lobe piercings, conch and possibly a snug or two. Oh and I dream of lots of ink too!

Day 8 - Friday 4 August

As I write this, it's been a week since I had a hole made through the middle of my nose and my septum piercing is coming along nicely. Nothing much has changed since my last post: my nose is still a bit runny and damp a couple of times a day, and still smarts a little if I touch the tip or if I brush it accidentally. I'm continuing with the saline soaks twice a day; I've also used spray (Stericlens) when I've been in a rush.

It still feels weird having a piercing, but I do like it being there, despite it being flipped up all the time.

Day 15 - Friday 11 August

Two weeks in, and things continue on their merry way. My nose is still a bit runny, but it's not as tender if I touch it. I occasionally knock it, especially when turning in bed.

I'm continuing with the saline soaks, twice per day. They aren't liberating a huge amount of gunk, though: I've not had many crusties come off when I soak it, even when using cotton wool buds.

I did flip the jewellery down on Monday to clean it properly, and (ugh) to trim some nose hair that was tickling. Having the circular barbell down felt a bit odd, but it looked great. I flipped it up afterwards and all was well.
    Current: septum (16g).
    Retired: nipples.
    Want: tongue, nipples, nostrils (?).

Day 22 - Friday 18 August

A very boring update, I'm afraid. All is well with my septum piercing: no pain and no aches (unless I knock it, which I'm getting better at avoiding). If I use a cotton wool bud to help see the site of the piercing, I can see that any lymph is nice and clear. I've continued with soaks twice a day for the main part, though on a couple of days I've just done it once.

This is a very easy piercing to heal, if my experiences are anything to go by. It's still flipped up and 99% of the time, I can't even tell it's there. I still look up my nose regularly, though (just to check!).
    Current: septum (16g).
    Retired: nipples.
    Want: tongue, nipples, nostrils (?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast