Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My septum piercing experience

Day 29 - Friday 25 August

I have now been sporting a septum piercing for four weeks; Monday will mark one whole month. It's been a bit grumpy today, as I managed to knock it twice whilst tossing and turning in bed. That's quite unpleasant and actually more painful than both the clamps and the needle! It's calmed down now, thanks to some ibuprofen.

Generally though, the piercing is no trouble at all. My nose is no longer tender to touch, even at the tip. Most days, I'm still soaking it morning and evening.

I've been idly looking at different jewellery and there's a Maria Tash titanium clicker that I quite like the look of here: venusbymariatash.com/jewelry/septum-jewelry/16-gauge-516-titanium-ring-septum.html?optionId=432. I've been even more idly thinking about whether to stretch a little (once sufficient time has elapsed), though I'm not sure about that.
    Last edited by Hazel; 08-25-2017 at 06:26 PM. Reason: direct links no longer allowed.
    Current: septum (16g).
    Retired: nipples.
    Want: tongue, nipples, nostrils (?).

Day 43 - Friday 8 September

Two more weeks gone, making a total of six, though it seems longer.

My piercing is continuing to lymph in the mornings. Sometimes there's hardly any; on other days, it streams out (usually just from one nostril, oddly). Most of the time, it's fairly runny, but I've had a few episodes where it's been somewhat thicker (and white, as opposed to its transparent hue). Occasionally, I get a lump of thicker white goo produced just as I've finished cleaning, which I have to clean out.

I had hoped that the production of lymph would have stopped by now, so I assume it's not fully healed yet. I'm only cleaning once a day, in the morning.

The jewellery has also developed a tendency to collect excretions from within my nose, which looks rather yucky. I've flipped it down to clean it a few times (carefully, with wet cotton wool buds), as it's easier that way.

I wore the circular barbell in the down position for several hours one day just to see what it was like. I rather enjoyed having it flipped down; it's still hidden 99% of the time, though.

Deffo won't be healed at 6 weeks, looking more like 4-6 months for full healing.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Day 57 - Friday 22 September

Eight weeks gone now. Eek!

My piercing is still lymphing, though not as regularly as before. I'm only getting larger volumes every other day or so, and on others, there's none at all. I've noticed that going outside for a walk or a cycle ride does tend to make my nose a bit runny.

I had a fairly unpleasant experience when out cycling last week, when an insect managed to fly up my nose (this has happened before, though not since being pierced). It was fairly painful for a while and caused me to sneeze on and off for about five minutes, which isn't fun whilst cycling in traffic. My nose continued to hurt for a few days afterwards, but is now back to normal.

I've worn the jewellery down on a couple of occasions at home and slept with it out in the open too. I was a bit apprehensive as I tend to toss and turn a lot, but it was fine.

I even went for a walk with the jewellery flipped down earlier this week. Other than a brainless youth on a bike (who should have been paying attention to where he was going, other than to his phone) I notice any strange stares, and a couple of people even said "Hello", so they presumably weren't entirely freaked out. It's tempting to keep flipping it down, though I'm trying to resist.

Day 93 - Saturday 28 October

This post marks three months since I got my septum pierced, though it seems a lot longer.

A quick summary:

* The autumn weather always tends to give me a runny nose. This is a bit of a pain, as the discharge from within my nose can collect on the jewellery and then be troublesome to get off.
    * I got fed up with doing soaks every day, so I'm only doing them once a week now.
    * There's still a bit of lymphing going on, and it can still vary between being clean and runny and white and more solid.
    * The jewellery has the tendency from time to time of moving up inside up nose of its own accord, which is annoying.
    * Most of the time, the jewellery is flipped up, though I find it very tempting to keep flipping it down. At the start of the month, I decided to try to leave it up for a whole calendar month. I had to flip it down once to clean the jewellery, but other than that, I've managed to resist (just about).

This will be my last diary post on this thread. Hopefully it might have been useful for other people. I wouldn't change anything about getting the piercing (other than having it done twenty years ago), though I might try to resist flipping it up and down so often. I'm thinking about stretching it to 14g at some point, though that won't be until some point next year.

Postscript - 3 November

I wasn't intending to post again, but the past couple of days have been unexpectedly eventful on the piercing front.

It all started on Wednesday, when I gave the piercing a soak and flipped it down briefly to tighten balls. All seemed well, at least until that evening, when I had a quick look to make sure things were fine and was surprised to find that one of the balls had gone missing! I had a good look for it, but couldn't find it anywhere. I assumed it had fallen down the sink.

After looking at the price for replacement balls on the internet, I emailed a studio 20 miles away to see if they had any in stock. I went to bed hoping that the jewellery wouldn't come out on its own overnight.

Fortunately it was still there in the morning and I had a reply from the studio - new balls were 1 each. I decided I didn't want to leave it in case the un-balled end wreaked havoc inside my nose so popped over later and bought three replacement balls. I also splashed out 5 for a replacement circular barbell in case the old one was damaged in some way. They did offer to fit the ball for me, but I said I'd manage myself. Mistake #1.

On getting home, I immediately got to work trying to fit a new ball. This proved easier said than done. The supposedly suitable gloves got in the way and I couldn't manage it by hand. Using a pair of carefully-cleaned pliers didn't work either. I took out the barbell entirely to check it wasn't damaged. Mistake #2.

The jewellery looked fine, so I tried to put it back in. Whilst I could locate the site of the piercing with the tips of my fingers, I just couldn't find the hole with the jewellery.

By now it was late, so there wasn't time to drive anywhere. My last resort was to go to the studio where I'd previously had my nipples pierced (badly). Mistake #3.

I'd resolved never to go again, but if they could get the jewellery back in for me, then perhaps it was worth a shot. Unfortunately when I got there and explained my predicament, they told me that they didn't do piercings any more. I pointed out that their Facebook page said "piercings and tattoos" and was told that this was an error.

Back home, I changed my mind a few times as to whether I should try and get the jewellery re-inserted the next day and finally decided that I would: I liked having the piercing and it felt strange to think I no longer had it (despite it being only three months old).

This morning, I went to yet another studio (taking the two CBBs and spare bells) and managed to see a piercer. Explaining what had happened, I was invited to sit and the piercer attempted to locate the hole. This was a bit of a challenge and she only found it after I put my fingers up my nose to show her where it was. Remarking that it was in a strange position (the piercing is quite high), she tried unsuccessfully to push it through, repeatedly. This was actually quite painful and it made my eyes water.

Mumbling that there was one last thing to try, the piercer left the room briefly and came back, I assume with an insertion pin or some sort of taper. Without telling me what she was going to do, she managed to push it through my septum (this didn't hurt, thankfully). She then took one of the circular barbells and eventually got it through and one of the balls attached. The second ball wouldn't go on at all, so she swapped the barbell for the other one and this time both balls were successfully installed. Phew!

Looking at the first piece of jewellery afterwards, it looks like something had broken off. Presumably the thread on one of the balls broke off inside the internally-threaded circular barbell when I tightened it on Wednesday.

I paid 5 and left, mightily relieved.

It's not been entirely without positives, though: I've checked out two new piercing studios. Whilst I'd definitely visit Thursday's again (they were spotlessly clean and very helpful), I'm not sure about today's: whilst the piercer did get the jewellery back in, I can't help but think it would have been a lot less painful and a lot quicker if she'd got the insertion pin/taper out sooner rather than later.

Oh, and to add to an already trying experience, I managed to reverse my car into a post in the car park at the piercing studio. This was despite it having parking sensors and a reversing camera. Fortunately not much damage was done and you can't see it unless you look for it.

Not fun at all. I've had my septum pierced for 10 months and I've had a ball fall off. But good for me it was in the chair I was currently still sitting in. I had to use a hemostat forecepts to hold the ball so I could screw it back on. I was worried all night that the jewelry would fall out and the hole would close up. But I'm glad it all worked out for you and your septum

This has been a really good read, thank you Aley75. I'm thinking of getting my septum pierced and, like you, intend to keep it flipped up most of the time. There's something really nice about having a piercing nobody knows about, unless you decide to let people see it.

Hope you are still getting on alright with it.
    Piercings: PA, nipples, navel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12