Thread: HELP: Third lobe piercing acting up after 7 months!

Default HELP: Third lobe piercing acting up after 7 months!

Hi all,

So I got a third lob piercing November 2016 from a highly rated piercer. Clean sterile everything, and used Anatometal Titanium studs.

I do sea salt soaks (not consistently, only occasionally when it's really irritated), but mainly I wash with the H20 foam wash or spray with a saline solution or just wash/rinse in the shower with soap. For the most part it's been ok, occasional swelling/itching when I sleep wrong, or hair gets wrapped up in the stud.

The last month or so, I felt like everything was finally really healing yay! But no, yesterday I woke up and my hair got really tangled in my left earring. Not thinking much about it as it felt fine, this morning it's swollen. I SSS 5 minutes once in the morning, and once again just now and when I went to dab dry, there was actually pus and a little bit of blood...

Should I be worried? Or just continue on? This hasn't actually happened in the last 7 months of healing so I must've really messed it up when I was sleeping?

Any advice on what I should do?

I'm also wondering if my piercer was wrong though - she said that it would heal like a normal lobe piercing (about 2 months), but because it's so high on the lobe, close to cartlidge it actually requires much longer?

Thanks

My suggestion would be plaiting hair when going to bed to keep it away from the earing. My second lobe has just started acting up (done in Sept 2016) and honestly mine looks like raw skin.
    what colour is the puss? the blood could just be as you sustained trauma so the body is sending blood to the wound to help heal it, so the white blood cells can help. so maybe just keep an eye on it and baby it like a fresh piercing for a few days.
    Current Piercings:
    Nostril (right)
    double lobes (both)
    Navel

Wanted:
    Targus
    Helix

Retired:
    Helix :(

Tattoos:
    Feather with Birds (left side under collar bone)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryry View Post
    My suggestion would be plaiting hair when going to bed to keep it away from the earing. My second lobe has just started acting up (done in Sept 2016) and honestly mine looks like raw skin.
    what colour is the puss? the blood could just be as you sustained trauma so the body is sending blood to the wound to help heal it, so the white blood cells can help. so maybe just keep an eye on it and baby it like a fresh piercing for a few days.
    I think it was just a little yellow.

Seems less swollen now. But thanks, I'll treat it like a new piercing and hopefully it'll be fine.

Update: So it's been almost 1 year now since I got my third lobe piercings. Since my last incident it's been fine. Last couple of months no irritations on both sides at all and just overall good. The piercings looked clean.

So I decided it was time to wash my earrings (surgical grade Anatometal studs). Took them out, washed with soap water, paper towel dry and put them back in.

Overnight both piercings are swollen and even a tiny bit leaky (yellowy pus).

My question to anyone is how long can third lobe piercings take - or are there just some that don't ever heal? Was it a bad idea to take them out? They seemed perfectly fine finally.

Thanks

Seven or eight months is about the "tipping point" for me. I think doing they're good, then after about seven months they are doing just as yours are. After maybe a year (?) they finally calm down and behave. I just have to wait them out.
    Ears double pierced... That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by *Todd* View Post
    Seven or eight months is about the "tipping point" for me. I think doing they're good, then after about seven months they are doing just as yours are. After maybe a year (?) they finally calm down and behave. I just have to wait them out.
    Yeah I'm thinking that too - just wait it out.

I talked to a couple other people elsewhere and I guess third lobe piercings can be pretty finicky - theirs took about 2 years to fully heal.

It depends on the tissue in that area really, if it's more cartilage than soft tissue you can be looking at 12-18 months for full healing.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Hello! I didn't want to make another thread about this. Hope you didn't mind me adding this on your thread. I just would like to know how "painful" is a third lobe piercing actually is please? As my ear will now be more cartilage than lobe. I have a pair of mid lobe piercings (Helix) that didn't hurt much to pierce but have been a total pain to heal - one doing much better than the other. I'm possibly thinking about it for next year.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Tragus, Nostril, Helix.

Sadly Retired Eyebrow. :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzy View Post
    Hello! I didn't want to make another thread about this. Hope you didn't mind me adding this on your thread. I just would like to know how "painful" is a third lobe piercing actually is please? As my ear will now be more cartilage than lobe. I have a pair of mid lobe piercings (Helix) that didn't hurt much to pierce but have been a total pain to heal - one doing much better than the other. I'm possibly thinking about it for next year.

I had this done in the end lol... Oh, It didn't half nip! lol.... The after pain is much better than the Helix.
    Last edited by Mazzy; 11-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    Left side - Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Helix, Rook.

Right side -Ear Lobes 1,2,3 Daith, Tragus, Nostril, Helix.

Sadly Retired Eyebrow. :(

Quite a few Tattoo's.