Thread: Mental Illness and Piercings/Tattoos. Body modification as "safe" self harm?

Fallon

Default Mental Illness and Piercings/Tattoos. Body modification as "safe" self harm?

I've had mental illness all my life and starting when I was 18 or so I realized I liked getting pierced because I enjoy the pain as a reprieve from the emotional pain that I see as being worse. Probably why I've had the same areas pierced many times. Also a reason why I like them is because I'm 21 and haven't had sex yet (I have wanted to for years but no one has returned the sentiment) and I like my piercings (and future tattoos) because I feel like they give me edge and make me seem less like the stereotypical vanilla bean virgin with doe eyes and prim outfits. I don't want to be categorized as innocent and naive just because no one wants to **** me. It seems stupid that people base so many of these heteronormative, misogynistic ideas on stuff they read in religious texts written in ancient times. Also, I'm bisexual/pansexual. Does that mean that if my "first time" is with a woman or a trans (non male identifying) person that it doesn't count, as many straight, white, cis people would say? That's a little off topic but those kinds of things make me angry, and I guess in turn I want to look angry.

About the piercing pain and such.. I dont know.

The sex part and does it count? Ofcourse! Hell fucking yes! Some people might say that it only "counts" when its straight sex. But that's just total bullshit. It's different than "straight" sex. But it does count. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise x3
    Hey I'm Patrick. Or call me Chris, both are fine.
    Current piercings: ~ Septum 6 mm ~ Philtrum 6 mm ~ Snakebites 1,6 mm ~ Tongue 14g x 2, 2 mm x 2, 4 mm x 1
    ~ Snake eyes 14g x 2 ~ Smiley 16g ~ Frowny 16g ~ Microdermal between eyebrows/third eye & on my left & right middle fingertip ~ Industrial (1xL + 2xR) 14g ~ frenulum piercing left side lip 16g

Tattoos: Really lost the count by now..
    Want:
    Tattoos; Two half sleeves and a huge back piece and chest piece.
    Piercings; Left industrial. Eyebrow

Moved to debates area of forum.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I think body modification could be a healthier way to get that pain release for some, but personally I feel if there are deeper issues, of course those need to be dealt with. Some people just like pain, I don't see an issue with that. Like BDSM. But... mental illness needs to be addressed.

Senior Member Piercedprincess84's Avatar

I suffer with complex trauma and i am also a self harmer. Piercings help me get the feeling even though most are just a pinch.
    ❤️ Sarah ❤️
    Pierced x27
    6 in each lobe
    1st hole stretched to 12mm, 2nd hole to 4mm
    Tragus in both ears
    2 Helix in right ear
    Bridge
    Right eyebrow x2
    Septum 8g
    Snakebites
    Labret
    Angelbites
    Both nostrils
    Tattooed x11
    More metal and ink planned!!
    http://Instagram.com/piercedprincess84
    http://facebook.com/piercedprincesssarah

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

I cannot say for sure whether body modification is or is not a "safe" way to "self harm"... but I would be inclined to say that self harm itself should be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
    Also, I'm bisexual/pansexual. Does that mean that if my "first time" is with a woman or a trans (non male identifying) person that it doesn't count, as many straight, white, cis people would say? That's a little off topic but those kinds of things make me angry, and I guess in turn I want to look angry.
    Making a general statement since the OP is no longer a member (in the hopes this topic stays open): YOUR beliefs, YOUR sexual preference, YOUR life experiences, these things are YOURS and yours alone... no one else has a right to come and tell you "no that experience doesn't count" (whether it be towards your sexual preference, your beliefs, your choice of lifestyle etc etc) because quite simply, they are NOT you and they are not the ones living your life. I am a firm believer in "minding one's own business" coupled with "respecting the next person's business" as we ALL have a right to live our lives the way we choose to.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Nose (both sides)

~~Want~~
    Rook to Anti-tragus Industrial
    Septum