Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing my parents

Default Disappointing my parents

I've always been the type of person who hates to disappoint anyone, a people pleaser, especially when it comes to my parents. I pushed myself to do great all throughout high school, mainly all As and Bs. Yes, I got into a lot of trouble within my teenage life, but that's just a typical teenager. Now I'm a freshman in college, studying to become an ultrasound technician. They're very proud of me, but they hate the fact that I want tattoos and piercings and constantly tell me I will regret it. It makes me feel really down, but I'm not going to give up on getting them done. Of course, I will try to stay as professional as possible and get them in spots where they can be easily hidden.

Does anyone else have relatives like that? That constantly makes you feel down for something that makes you excited.
    Current: Navel piercing
    Want: Tragus piercing, Nose piercing, Tongue piercing, shoulder blade tattoo
    Retired: Simple Earlobes, Cartilage Piercings

I was lucky that my dad just said that it is my life and I should do what I want. So he didn't actually have a problem when I got my first tattoo. The more I got and especially the more piercings I got.. Well he wasn't happy about them. However he only made a comment once or twice.
    My mom is the one who has.. a bit more problems with them. Constantly commenting on them and telling me that it's enough now and that I shouldn't be ruining my body. Strangely enough she is 100% supportive if I want to work in the body mod industry.. Parents. Go figure.
    My grandma was the worst though.. All she would do is complain. One time when she saw a new tattoo of mine I swear she started praying. Probably for my soul or something..

But you know what? I'm now way past the point of caring. I try to respect my parents by covering up or hide the piercings (those or the main problem somehow) that they dislike the most. For example my septum and tongue, which aren't that difficult to hide XD For the rest I just go about doing my own thing and don't care what they say.
    Hey I'm Patrick. Or call me Chris, both are fine.
    Current piercings: ~ Septum 6 mm ~ Philtrum 6 mm ~ Snakebites 1,6 mm ~ Tongue 14g x 2, 2 mm x 2, 4 mm x 1
    ~ Snake eyes 14g x 2 ~ Smiley 16g ~ Frowny 16g ~ Microdermal between eyebrows/third eye & on my left & right middle fingertip ~ Industrial (1xL + 2xR) 14g ~ frenulum piercing left side lip 16g

Tattoos: Really lost the count by now..
    Want:
    Tattoos; Two half sleeves and a huge back piece and chest piece.
    Piercings; Left industrial. Eyebrow

This is something that really resonates with me, and I can completely understand what you're feeling. I love getting and planning piercings, but my parents always seem disgusted by them despite the fact that mine are all pretty vanilla. I don't have any tattoos planned yet, but I know that they'd absolutely hate that idea too. Doing anything that they don't approve of has always made me feel guilty, and like I'm a bit of a failure.

I'm 27 now and it's only recently that I've been making a conscious effort to try and ignore their views on this. I'm an adult and I'm perfectly capable of making my own choices about what I do to my body and how I live my life. There's always going to be a part of them that sees me as being a child, however old I get, and that's probably what makes them feel like it's fine to dismiss my choices as being stupid.

Just do what makes you happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Livvi View Post
    This is something that really resonates with me, and I can completely understand what you're feeling. I love getting and planning piercings, but my parents always seem disgusted by them despite the fact that mine are all pretty vanilla. I don't have any tattoos planned yet, but I know that they'd absolutely hate that idea too. Doing anything that they don't approve of has always made me feel guilty, and like I'm a bit of a failure.

I'm 27 now and it's only recently that I've been making a conscious effort to try and ignore their views on this. I'm an adult and I'm perfectly capable of making my own choices about what I do to my body and how I live my life. There's always going to be a part of them that sees me as being a child, however old I get, and that's probably what makes them feel like it's fine to dismiss my choices as being stupid.

Just do what makes you happy!

I was in exactly the same place and just learned to ignore their comments, so they stopped making any.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder

Well, I try to ignore their comments, but I can't help but to feel guilty. However, I am not letting them control my life. It's my life, and it's my body. So I went to get my first official piercing today, and I'm very happy with it.
    Current: Navel piercing
    Want: Tragus piercing, Nose piercing, Tongue piercing, shoulder blade tattoo
    Retired: Simple Earlobes, Cartilage Piercings

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    ...they hate the fact that I want tattoos and piercings....
    Maybe don't tell them your plans and just get them?

Out of the mods you say you want from your signature there's only 2 that they'd only ever see.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Senior Member Piercedprincess84's Avatar

My father was dead against body mods.... But before he died he kind of accepted it was my choice. At the end of the day, you should do what makes YOU happy ☺️
    ❤️ Sarah ❤️
    Pierced x27
    6 in each lobe
    1st hole stretched to 12mm, 2nd hole to 4mm
    Tragus in both ears
    2 Helix in right ear
    Bridge
    Right eyebrow x2
    Septum 8g
    Snakebites
    Labret
    Angelbites
    Both nostrils
    Tattooed x11
    More metal and ink planned!!
    http://Instagram.com/piercedprincess84
    http://facebook.com/piercedprincesssarah

Indeed; always do what makes you happy as can never please everyone anyway lol
    Lee

Current Mods

Left Ear - Lobe 14mm / Right Ear - Lobe 14mm / Left eyebrow - 1.2mm / Nose - right nostril 1.2mm, septum 2mm / Smiley - 1.2mm / Frenum - 3.2mm
    A shed load of tattoos; too many to list!

Retired Mods
    Nipples - 3.2mm /
    Various lobe piercings, multiple gauges and times / Left Ear - tragus 1.2mm, conch 1.2mm, helix 1.2mm/ Right Ear - rook 1.2mm, daith 1.6mm

Senior Member beautiful-disaster's Avatar

in the beginning my parents hated my mods; always asked why i wanted them etc... but as i grew older and they seen that they were just me, they were what i loved and i'd keep getting them regardless- they just stopped commenting. Now it's like the situation has done a 180 as just the start of the year i had my septum pierced and my mum actually commented on how nice it looked on me (?!)
    What I have
    Left ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , daith , conch
    Right ear: 18mm lobe , 1.6mm lobe , tragus , scaffold , rook
    monroe
    tongue
    right nipple
    VCH
    Septum

an abundance of Inkies

Contemplating..

double nostrils, nipple (L), orbital, cleavage MD's, christina

call me Manda
    ^3^

Fallon

Lol. My family (when I tried and failed to stretch my ears a gauge the other week) said: Stop mutilating yourself! Another cousin said one of my past nose rings made me "look like a Bengali Indian" which I found offensive and racist. My dad hates my dyed red hair because I'm a natural brunette with family origins in the Azores and I have tan-ish skin. He told me it doesn't look like it belongs on my body. Then again, he voted for Trump so s***w him. :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast