Thread: Boycotting Tax Avoiding Companies

Default Boycotting Tax Avoiding Companies

Hi,

I work really hard and could cry at how much tax I pay so have been trying to boycott the big companies that avoid paying tax.
    Some are easy
    for instance Amazon - The only reason to buy from Amazon is because it is easy, they aren't the cheapest or Starbucks - their coffee sucks

Some take a bit of work
    for instance Google - I have moved to Bing for my searching, they are nearly as good as Google, but not quite, but in some areas they are better (e.g. they have OS maps)

Others are hard
    for instance ebay as there is no good alternative.

When you look into it, most of the big companies are at it - http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/ethic...erankings.aspx

I despair :(

Is anybody else like me? What do you do to avoid using the cheating companies?
    If you use them then does it not bother you?

It is clear that the government is well enough bribed that they are not going to do anything about it so I feel we must do something. If everyone in the UK stopped using Amazon they would start paying tax very promptly!

I'd love to hear what you all think

Yvonne. x
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|2x centre tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|2 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (70 holes in total)

Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.
    Next up: third pair nostrils; venoms; maybe something genital

Hope you don't mind, I've moved this to the news/debates section
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I try to buy as ethically as I can at any given point although sometimes I have to make compromises based on current budgets/available services/vendors. Sometimes I feel like I can't keep track of who I feel like I "should" be avoiding, if that makes sense?
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Totally makes sense Katie. I try to avoid using the obvious ones but I guess it is nearly impossible to avoid using all the bad companies, especially when you extend it to not just tax avoidance but other things, but tax avoidance is really bugging me right now.
    Got: double snakebites|central lip|labret|2x centre tongue|philtrum|angel bites|smiley|septum|2 pairs nostrils|3 pairs eyebrows|bridge|15 & 16 (l&r) lobe/cartilage, rook, 2x tragus, 2x forward helix, conch (both ears symmetrical)|3x navel (70 holes in total)

Want: Everything, slowly building up my piercings over time.
    Next up: third pair nostrils; venoms; maybe something genital

Every individual/company tries to reduce their tax bill as much as they can (buying alcohol/cigarettes duty free etc.). In my opinion, the only difference that Starbucks/Amazon have is that they're of a size where they can take advantage of avoidance practices to a greater extent. It's unethical but I think the only solution is a change of the law.