Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tongue Split Diary

Ohh I can't wait for an update on this! I love reading tongue split diaries, I don't think it's something that I'd ever have done myself as I was tongue tied when I was younger but I applaud people who do, it looks f'ing awesome!
    Hi, I'm Philly

Current;

L industrial | L rook | L conch | R tragus | R helix | R daith | 4 x standard lobe | 2 x 6mm lobe | L nostril | Septum |

Retired;
    L nipple | Navel |

Find me;
    Blog
    | Instagram

Oh goodness when I first saw the title of the diary, I completely forgot you'd said Derek wanted it and I thought you'd taken the leap hah. This is exciting! I can't wait for pics!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

OOO good luck to your boyfriend tomorrow
    2g lobes, 18g forward helix (L), 14g Conch (L), 16g Double helix (L) 14g Daith (R), and 18g right nostril. 16g Septum.
    2 hours of ink.
    Retired: Gunned 20g lobes many years ago, 16g Tragus, 18g third (L), 18g Forward helix (bottom of double)(L) 14g Philtrum x 2, 18g second (L).

Lol Sarah, I'm tempted!!

IT IS DONE!

We got to HTT at 10.20 and was warmly greeted by Helen, she gave the form to Derek who read over it and signed his life away lol! I filled mine in (just a nostril piercing) and we hung out for a bit. Then the time came, he was called in. Sadly it's a small room so not enough space for 4 people, I waited outside and chatted to the new receptionist who is mighty cool. From the man himself:

I went into the room, had to put on a surgical hat, plastic apron and a bib-like towel. I removed my tongue piercing, swilled with mouthwash, then I was marked up by Helen while she was explaining the procedure to me. I felt ok at this point, not too scared. They had to keep drying my tongue which wasn't nice. Once Helen was happy with placement, I had a look in the mirror and was happy with it. Then they put a topical anaesthetic on my tongue, there was some scratching so I think they made a small cut as they can't use injectables. I was told this was made up of lidocaine and epinephrine which numbed my tongue really quickly, I felt a bit sick and woozy at this point, not sure why so I laid down for a minute until it passed.

Helen then poked my tongue with something in several places to ask if there was any sensation, only a couple of place were still not numb, they may have put some more anaesthetic on at this point to make sure it was fully numbed. Once I was ready, Helen put the forceps on either side of my tongue, then Marcus came behind me while I was sat on the table and held both pairs. At this point my tongue felt awful because it was so dry! Then Helen cut through with the scalpel. I'm not 100% sure but the way she did it I think was she went in and through where my old tongue piercing was, back towards my throat (as my tongue piercing was quite far forward) and then forwards to the tip to complete the split. All I felt during this was some tugging and pulling, no pain, no massive amount of blood or anything. They said I barely bled which is unusual but very helpful. After the split the forceps came off and she placed a thick wad of gauze between the split and got me to lie down and gave me a moment to chill.

They had a cup of hot/warm water and a cup of cold water on standby to open and then close vessels quickly in case I bled a lot but that wasn't needed.

Time for sutures!

Once we were ready she started with the sutures, again I didn't feel anything but it felt strange as a couple of times I could feel them being pulled through. My tongue and jaw were really aching by now as I had to keep my tongue out but no pain at all really. One stitch I feel like I felt, it reminded me of my tongue piercing but barely felt any pain. There was no bleeding or anything during this stage either. This was the longest and most awkward part. When it was done I was cleaned up, told to rest a minute, get up in my own time. I felt fine so got up with no problems, swilled my mouth out with water, had lots of photos taken. Then I took off my hat, apron and bib and went out!

Day 1

Immediately after it felt fine but achy. After about 2 hours I was getting feeling back and my tongue was tingling around where the sutures are. By 3 hours pain was kicking in so I've taken some of Hazel's painkillers and pain is minimum but I have a horrible ache at the back of my tongue. There's a fair bit of swelling. I can vape, I can drink but not use a straw, I have good movement, speech is impaired somewhat but not loads. I'm drooling occasionally as well lol! Otherwise it's all good!

He's in great spirits, slurping a fair bit haha! Bit hard to understand him but that's normal, can't believe he barely bled, Marcus said he's only ever had 1 other person like that! The split it good, it's nice and pointy. Sutures often fall out on their own but if they're not all gone by Fri/Sat of next week he can go in and have any remaining ones removed. Will keep updating with photos
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

This is so fascinating to read, mostly because I'd be too chicken to do anything like this! I take it they use epinephrine routinely to minimize the bleeding and your man seemed to respond to it really well? I am curious how tongue splitting will affect any daily activities - talking, chewing, taste? Can't wait to read more and see how he heals up!
    Current: Left ear: 2x lobes, tragus. Right ear: 2x lobes, rook, inner conch, outer conch. Other: L nare, navel, L & R nipples, VCH, septum
    Retired: R nipple, L eyebrow

Wish list: L forward helix, Monroe or labret
    Tattoos: 8 - 15 hours worth

Quote Originally Posted by kiapita View Post
    This is so fascinating to read, mostly because I'd be too chicken to do anything like this! I take it they use epinephrine routinely to minimize the bleeding and your man seemed to respond to it really well? I am curious how tongue splitting will affect any daily activities - talking, chewing, taste? Can't wait to read more and see how he heals up!
    Thank you. Yeah the lidocaine/epinephrine mix is a good one for tongues due to epinephrine being a vasoconstrictor and prolonging anaesthetic. Long term it shouldn't affect speech too much, it doesn't affect chewing or taste either.

He's in a fair bit of pain now bless him, he's having a lie down, making him stay propped up a bit though. He also just had some soup, couldn't eat a soft cheese sandwich.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Thank you. Yeah the lidocaine/epinephrine mix is a good one for tongues due to epinephrine being a vasoconstrictor and prolonging anaesthetic. Long term it shouldn't affect speech too much, it doesn't affect chewing or taste either.

He's in a fair bit of pain now bless him, he's having a lie down, making him stay propped up a bit though. He also just had some soup, couldn't eat a soft cheese sandwich.

It will be interesting to see your dentist's reaction to his addition.
    Current piercings: Horizontal Nipples 4 mm, 4 mm, Tongue 10 mm, Navel 1.6 mm,

Good luck to your bf Hazel. I hope the pains gone down for him soon. I have wondered how tongue splitting was done..lol I'd be too chicken to try it. I bet you won't be long before you have your's done
    Right ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left ear......2 x lobes, 2 x helix. Left side of nose.
    Retired......3rd piercings on right and left lobe.
    Rejected......navel piercing
    Now the proud owner of both a left and right tragus piercing.
    Left conch.
    Looking forward to some more Neometal and Industrial Strength earrings.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLoveLace View Post
    Good luck to your bf Hazel. I hope the pains gone down for him soon. I have wondered how tongue splitting was done..lol I'd be too chicken to try it. I bet you won't be long before you have your's done
    Thanks MrsLL he's a bit miserable but doing ok!

Day 2

Sorry for the delay in updating, I'm pretty ill atm. Anyway, yesterday wasn't too fun for him, very swollen, and getting some stinging pains and very deep aching. Ibuprofen is helping a lot though, he's managing to eat yoghurt and even tried some fish and chips from the chippy but that was really hard work for him. Otherwise he's keeping very well hydrated and eating soft things high in calories like desserts lol! I'm making him a protein shake later though for some nutrition as well. Stitches are all still in place and he has a very yucky looking furry tongue right now which settles a lot when he uses the mouthwash given to him by HTT. He's slurping a lot as it's hard to swallow effectively with such swelling. Please note the white/yellow tongue isn't oral thrush or anything like that it's a reaction to taste buds swelling mixed with lymph.

Day 3

Slept fine, some drooling in the night but that's to be expected. He's got the bug I've got which isn't surprising but I feel sorry for him, it's not what you want on top of this. The swelling has come down a lot, he's able to speak a little more clearly but the pain at the deepest point of the split is pretty sore, again like a stinging/sharp pain. He's managed trifle again bless him lol! He has an ulcer on the inside of his lip, must be just because his body is fighting a bug/healing the split and everything else that's going on in his mouth!

Photos, they're not pretty, if they really upset anyone please tell me and I'll change them to links:

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Day 1 - few hours after:

Day 2- Verrrry swollen

Day 3 - swelling down a little
    Last edited by Hazel; 11-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Wowza that's some nice swelling!
    Sarah

"Do not go gentle into the good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast