Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Registration for Voting in UK

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar-2015
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    If we continue borrowing money the poor *will* suffer, as ultimately they will be the ones paying it back (the rich can simply leave the country for somewhere with lower taxes). This is why the policy of both labour and tory of encouraging large business (often multinationals) is lunacy - they have no loyalty to a country, and will simply move to a country with low taxes. We need to encourage small and medium business more, as the owners of these are usually much more tied to where they live (for example by sending children to local schools, being part of the community etc).
    so who should win then?

  2. #22
    Senior Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyQuinn7 View Post
    so who should win then?
    I assume you mean in the election? I'm not sure any party actually has policies that will help if they win outright. The best we can hope for is a coalition where each party keeps the other in check (unlike the con-lib one where both were equally enthusiastic).

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr-2015
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I wish there were an option we could choose who would stop penalising the poor and start playing hard ball with the corporations, it's clear that if most people are spending money with these big companies (and I confess I am one) then if they are not paying tax here then things are going to keep getting worse. I'm not usually cynical or negative but it's hard not to be on this topic. Will vote anyway, because I can't stand people who moan about the system then don't use their vote!

  4. #24
    Senior Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lelole View Post
    I wish there were an option we could choose who would stop penalising the poor and start playing hard ball with the corporations, it's clear that if most people are spending money with these big companies (and I confess I am one) then if they are not paying tax here then things are going to keep getting worse. I'm not usually cynical or negative but it's hard not to be on this topic. Will vote anyway, because I can't stand people who moan about the system then don't use their vote!
    Probably the only solution is for all countries to agree to some form of turnover tax for multinationals, paid in each country they do business in, but with the option to deduct any profit-related taxes paid in the country.

    The other option might be to tax the global profit, unless a certain minimum (say 67% or 75%) was paid out as a dividend to shareholders (after allowing for any loans/debt to be paid off first). That way the recipients would then pay tax in their own country, as well as acting to distribute the money around.
    Last edited by julian; 04-06-2015 at 01:44 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Just a quick reminder that today (monday) is the last day to register.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec-2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Ok I realise this is probably very sad but I can't wait until polling closes and the results start flooding in.
    Perhaps I'm hitting middle age slightly too early or may be this GE is actually going to be interesting. I can't wait to see what happens.
    im still undecided though, so I really need to take a look at the manifestos again for *some* guidance

  7. #27
    Senior Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMoo View Post
    Ok I realise this is probably very sad but I can't wait until polling closes and the results start flooding in.
    Perhaps I'm hitting middle age slightly too early or may be this GE is actually going to be interesting. I can't wait to see what happens.
    im still undecided though, so I really need to take a look at the manifestos again for *some* guidance
    This is probably the closest election in my lifetime too. Neither of the main parties is very inspiring - both will spend too much and on the wrong things, and not do enough to reduce the deficit (and almost certainly not the debt). [Sarcasm/] Oh well, just let the children/grand-children/great-grand-children pay it off - that has always worked so well in the past [/Sarcasm]

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec-2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    I'd very much like to work from home on Friday 8th May, as I suspect I'm going to be rather tired. I've just had a look at my calendar and I need to be in the office :-/
    It will be very close and some of the results will be quite interesting.

  9. #29
    Senior Member julian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul-2010
    Location
    Hampshire, UK
    Posts
    924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CookieMoo View Post
    I'd very much like to work from home on Friday 8th May, as I suspect I'm going to be rather tired. I've just had a look at my calendar and I need to be in the office :-/
    It will be very close and some of the results will be quite interesting.
    I think quite a few of the results will be close. Of course the really interesting part will be to see who gets to form a government: Tory-UKIP-LibDem, Labour-SNP, Labour-LibDem etc etc.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec-2014
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    I think quite a few of the results will be close. Of course the really interesting part will be to see who gets to form a government: Tory-UKIP-LibDem, Labour-SNP, Labour-LibDem etc etc.
    Yes and see how many actually vote Ukip

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •