Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The NHS; should we draw a line?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    I'm aware of that, however simply saying all people who "self-inflict" their injuries have to pay is 1) ridiculous and 2) would be an expensive and logistical nightmare which is already one of the main issues.

Simply put, it would cause more problems than it solves.
    Oh, I agree - the admin alone would cost more than any savings. I suspect the approach will be increased charges for things like prescriptions, as well as possibly visit to doctors and possibly even A&E.

Quote Originally Posted by catface View Post
    *smh*
    How mature, polite, and constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Walroz View Post
    How mature, polite, and constructive.
    She's conveying her frustration at your comment, there was nothing immature or impolite about it.

Back on topic please.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by Walroz View Post
    I personally don't think ANY self-inflicted injury should be treated on the NHS. I think it's appalling that I (21 year old broke student) can't get a ganglion (painful swelling resulting from tendon damage that is no fault of my own) treated on the NHS, while people who have, for example, drunk themselves into liver failure, get free treatment on the NHS.
    As someone who is only here due to Australia's medicare system, people who think like this contribute to a lot of suicides. Because people who are suicidal feel like a burden. And you're saying they will burden the system. So why bother getting help? I could have died from my self inflicted injury but due to the free medical help I could get I didn't. I also got put in the mental health system and get free visits to a $200 an hour psychologist that I could *never* afford otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTulip View Post
    As someone who is only here due to Australia's medicare system, people who think like this contribute to a lot of suicides. Because people who are suicidal feel like a burden. And you're saying they will burden the system. So why bother getting help? I could have died from my self inflicted injury but due to the free medical help I could get I didn't. I also got put in the mental health system and get free visits to a $200 an hour psychologist that I could *never* afford otherwise.
    You're precisely an example of what I mentioned before. My son and bf would also be very lost without the very limited support they get from the NHS to the point of self neglect if I wasn't around. People just don't understand sadly.
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

I am pretty confident NHS would be lot better off being privatised and a private healthcare insurances to be put in place. There would be no 4-5hour queues in A&E because someone's got a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeed View Post
    I am pretty confident NHS would be lot better off being privatised and a private healthcare insurances to be put in place. There would be no 4-5hour queues in A&E because someone's got a headache.
    Yeah cos more people would be dead from not being able to afford insurance.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

We have both medicare and private health insurances, public and private hospitals as well as general practitioners, it doesn't stop people coming into A&E for a headache. And reasonably you can't turn them away in case it's something major with only the symptom being a headache.
    Mikayla
    ​Piercings:
    Have: Left ear lobe 3x16g, Right ear lobe 3x16g,
    Right nostril x1, Belly, Both Nipples
    Want: Both ears - Triple Conch,
    Rook, Tragus, 3x Helix,
    Retired: Central Labret, Septum
    Tattoos:
    Have: Paw on left wrist with snowflake & dog's name & yob-yod underneath
    Phoenix on left forearm & Universe Horse right thigh piece
    Future: Top/rest of sleeve - to be designed

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Yeah cos more people would be dead from not being able to afford insurance.
    The government could act to insure people otherwise too poor to pay for their own insurance. I am not convinced that having the government as an (almost*) monopoly supplier for services such as medicine and education is an entirely good thing. Making the majority (except for the really poor) aware that their premiums are affected by their lifestyle would be a good thing.

The catch would be to ensure that premiums are not related to factors outside the individuals control (age, dna, existing medical problems), but does relate to self-inflicted problems such as drug use, lack of exercise, poor diet etc.

The NHS as it exists is not going to be affordable in the long run. In reality the options are:

1) Carry on as currently, with postcode lotteries, long waiting times etc etc
    2) Start charging for more things - GP visits, hospital stays etc etc
    3) Switching to some form of public/private system
    4) Switching to some form of an entirely private system - this would be the worst for the poor of course.

* There is private medicine, but not really for emergency care, or ultra-complex care at present.

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    The government could act to insure people otherwise too poor to pay for their own insurance.
    "Could" being the operative word.

The person I quoted didn't mention any of that.

Also don't get me started on the self-inflicted crap. That won't work either and will target the poor.

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast