Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Referendum

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssssa :) View Post
    Does anyone have a good article or something I can read? I sound like a complete dumbo but all I know is it's about Scotland becoming independent. I don't see why that affects the UK.
    You could try here for an overview http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...h-independence or http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-independence/

Katie or others in Scotland can probably provide more links to the yes and no sides.

As a simple example of just one effect if they vote yes, banks and other financial institutions with bases in Scotland but most customers elsewhere in the UK will probably need to relocate to England reasonably quickly (and if they don't - customers in E/W/NI will move their money out). If you live in Scotland, but have money in a UK bank, you will probably need to fill in tax returns to the UK and Scotland - and vice-versa.

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosasaurr View Post
    I don't really have an opinion in it - I definitely think it's a massive risk for Scotland and I think a devo max option may be the best solution all round. It's going to be interesting to see what happens though, either way.

My REAL opinion is that I will die laughing if they vote yes because my parents are holidaying in Scotland the week of the referendum and, to me, if it's a yes vote it will be because of them and no other reason whatsoever.
    A devo max option might be worth pursuing if it was likely to actually happen but we were offered similar promises back in the 70s and surprisingly, when we took that route it was all suddenly forgotten and we weren't granted our own parliament until the late 90s and there has been evidence of lying/cover-ups at the time to 'encourage' the vote against independence. There have also been recent reports of politicians quoted saying we should as a nation be 'punished' with cuts to our national budgets etc in the instance of a No vote which seems like a pretty big risk to me.

Lyssa there's a lot to read over but to be honest a lot of the news reports are pretty biased so it can be difficult to tell whether somethings being wildly optimistic or pessimistic or actually true (they can be biased both ways depending on the article obviously!)
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Responsibility for many public services in Scotland, in particular the NHS, have already been handed over to the Scottish government. Only the SNP could fully privatise the NHS, and might even have to if public money ran out in an independent Scotland.

I just don't understand how anyone could vote for breaking up the UK, based on proposals no-one knows the details of.

The fantasies spewing out of Alex Salmond's bigoted mouth aren't details. Will Scotland keep the pound? Will the economy fall through the floor? Will Scotland be in or out of the EU? Alex Salmond doesn't know or care, he just wants to be remembered as the man who brought about an independent nation, regardless of the cost.

Vote NO Scottish friends!
    10mm PA, 5mm septum, baby rook, nostril, loads retired | *gold star*

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    Will Scotland keep the pound?
    We know the answer to this - they can "use" the pound, but won't be in a currency union, and will have no control over interest rates etc. In other words, much the same situation as say Panama using the US dollar.

Quite few of my friends are voting Yes and their reasons are to stop Westminster controlling us etc. I am voting No because I am not convinced that it can work, there is no proper answers about HMRC, DWP and the fact the currency is not even sorted or strong enough. Also Me and my partner are concerned about how life may be if the Yes vote wins because we know some people are voting Yes to get english people out of scotland, there are some racist people like that unfortunately, cant deny that. My partner was born in england but moved here when he was 1, He still have an english accent.

Also it is sort of ironic that my friends who are voting yes due to the westminster thing forget that Tony Blair and Gordon Brown are scottish and they still messed things up for the UK, even scotland so it is not all english Prime Minsters!

I get the impression it is going to be a *very* close result. I don't think anyone knows what will happen if yes or no win by only a few hundred or thousand votes - I can imagine a lot of arguments about the validity of the result (especially for a close Yes win).

The best result is probably a decisive poll, with at least a 5-10% majority, but personally I can't see that happening now. I suspect the answer may be more like 49-51% (or possibly 44/46/10 undecided).

Quote Originally Posted by sparklyweirdo View Post
    ...we know some people are voting Yes to get english people out of scotland, there are some racist people like that unfortunately, cant deny that.
    People have openly admitted that to you? :O

How would a yes vote banish English people from Scotland?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Anyone rUK resident in Scotland at the time of a "Yes" vote would aotomatically be granted Scottish citizenship so not sure how they'd "get English people out of Scotland"..?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    Anyone rUK resident in Scotland at the time of a "Yes" vote would aotomatically be granted Scottish citizenship so not sure how they'd "get English people out of Scotland"..?
    Via catapult?
    Piercings: 6 lobes, 2 12mm stretched lobes, 4 helices, 3 tragus, daith, 2 nostril, 2.4mm VCH, 1 upper conch, 2.4mm daith, philtrum
    Modifications: 5mm septum punch,
    coinslot ear cartilage removal
    Cosmetic Modifications: Scar removal x4, semi permanent eyebrows, lip dermal filler
    Retired Piercings: 3 nipple, tongue, 3 philtrum, 3 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs, 2 wrist MDs, septum, 2 upper conch, conch, 3 helices
    Tattoos: 86 hours
    ***** HOW TO UP YOUR POST COUNT & RULES - ASK A QUESTION - BUMP INFORMATION - STRETCHING INFO & QUESTIONS - RECOMMENDED UK PIERCERS *****
    >>>>>>>>>>New Members - Please do not PM me with questions about your piercing, this is what the forum is for, thank you<<<<<<<<<<

Facebook
    UK Jewellery Network

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel View Post
    Via catapult?
    hahaha! Shoo! Back over the wall!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast