Default Why do they put cling wrap on new tattoos?

I tried google, but to no avail. Just wondered if anyone knew?

I've just been tattooed, is there any reason I can't take it off straight away or do I have to wait the two hours? It's getting annoying in this heat!
    current:
    third eye microdermal
    septum (1.6)
    nipples x2 (1.6)
    right nostril (1.0)
    lobes (7mm)
    industrial
    labret
    9 tattoos

i want:
    daith
    christina

retired:
    philtrum
    navel x2
    hip surface
    left nostril

To protect your clothes on the way home. My artist just tells me to take it off once I'm in.

I've heard of people being instructed otherwise though and some told to continuously keep wrapping it in the stuff :/

I'd like to know why as well!
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    18 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    To protect your clothes on the way home.
    This is probably why. Plus maybe to keep out any dust or unclean stuff while it's still completely fresh? I mean you just had tiny needles poke your skin, I'd want it protected until it stops being very angry :p
    I've also seen one girl who wrapped it for days afterwards but she's just weird anyway.

I figure if you're home now you can take it off safely if you haven't already.

1 inch both lobes, 6mm upper right lobe, 6mm left inner conch, 6mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm both nipples

tumblr

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I generally keep mines on for around 3 or 4 hours (usually until I get ready to go to bed) because it gives it longer before I need to wash it and stops me getting inky bloody vaseliney gunk on everything and getting cat hair/dust/general ick stuck in it.
    An old member from here who was very heavily tattooed has healed with clingfilm in the past and she found she healed well and in less time than usual IIRC
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Clingfilm acts like a synthetic skin. This stops the piece from scabbing straight away and allows you to heal the lower layers of skin first which hold the ink in better.

You should really leave it wrapped up overnight for the first night to allow that process to happen. Then remove it in the morning and wash the tattoo in water as hot as you can stand, gently yet firmly rubbing all the excess ink, lymph and blood off of the piece before coating in a thin layer of bepanthen. You should re-wash and apply lotion ever 3-5 hours or if you do anything that would cause the lotion to rub off.

Letting your tattoo heal from the inside out helps prevent any scabbing, which can cause the ink to drop out as the scabs fall off and so as annoying as the wrap is it really is worth the effort to leave it on over night.

I've got an aftercare regime from Doug Hardy somewhere, if i can dig it up i'll post here that explains the process a lot better and if you're gonna listen to anyone about how to look after a tattoo it should be a 3rd Generation tattooist who's dad is up there in the history books with Sailor Jerry and that ilk.
    Valhalla Tattoo & Piercing
    -
    Let Another's Wounds Be Your Warning -

Ah cheers!
    current:
    third eye microdermal
    septum (1.6)
    nipples x2 (1.6)
    right nostril (1.0)
    lobes (7mm)
    industrial
    labret
    9 tattoos

i want:
    daith
    christina

retired:
    philtrum
    navel x2
    hip surface
    left nostril

I always remove the clingfilm within 30 minutes of getting it done - as soon as I get home. I've never needed a tattoo touched up - including hands, knees, knuckles and feet - and still have bright white ink in hands, knuckles, thighs, arms and feet. Never scab either.

Take it off when you want to, it's not going to make much of a difference.

I heal amazingly well but most tattoo artists would probably balk at my aftercare regime.
    32mm lobe (down from 50mm) : 10mm lobe : 8mm conch punch : 1.2mm Philtrum (down from 2mm) : 12mm oval labret (down from 18mm) : tongue split : scarification x2 : lots of ink :

Quote Originally Posted by wallflower View Post
    I always remove the clingfilm within 30 minutes of getting it done - as soon as I get home. I've never needed a tattoo touched up - including hands, knees, knuckles and feet - and still have bright white ink in hands, knuckles, thighs, arms and feet. Never scab either.

Take it off when you want to, it's not going to make much of a difference.

I heal amazingly well but most tattoo artists would probably balk at my aftercare regime.
    Keep in mind that everyone is different, the aftercare advice given is what will work best for the majority, and is a regime that has been refined over the past 50 years or so given millions of hours of tattoos on millions of people and their feedback.

I too can heal shading and line work in about a week with no wrap and barely any bepanthen, but all of my solid blackwork on my arms absolutely needed it.

So it's always better to err on the side of caution and just follow the guidelines for the first 24 hours or so, it's not going to mean much in the big picture if you just have to tolerate one night of discomfort for a lifetime of awesome tattooness.

This is what Doug Hardy has to say about aftercare:

The idea of washing the tattoo with cold water is comforting, but horsesh*t. When you take of the initial bandage (after at LEAST 4 or 5 hours, longer [up to 24 hours] is better), you MUST MUST MUST wash the tattoo thoroughly in water as hot as you can stand it, then a little bit hotter. You want any dried lymph and blood to be able to loosen up a bit. Showers are great, but for f**k's sake, do NOT soak it in a bathtub, swimming pool, hot tub, or a f**king lake or ocean.

Although you do NOT want to use a washcloth or sponge on your healing tattoo at all, you DO want to thoroughly and somewhat aggressively wash the living hell out of your tattoo with your fingertips and soapy water to make sure that you get ALL of the coagulated blood and lymph off of the tattoo. Leaving any of this on the tattoo will lead to a scab, which means a rough healing process that can leave you with a shi**y, busted tattoo. After washing, pat the tattoo dry with a paper towel and then apply a TINY amount of either Vitamin A&D ointment (found in the diaper section of your market), Aquaphor, or Bepathen (for you foreign dudes and dudettes). TINY AMOUNT is the key. You do not want to smother your tattoo in a slather of goo, just put enough onto the tattoo to absorb.

Don't cover your tattoo with another bandage, but you DO want to wash your tattoo off every couple of hours, dry it, and apply the ointment again. Keeping the tattoo clean is imperative to the healing. It absolutely doesn't matter if the soap is anti-bacterial or not; any mild soap will be fine (I use dove or ivory myself). Just make sure that when you wash your tattoo that your hands are clean before you touch it, so wash your hands thoroughly first (how can you tell if you have washed your hands well enough? When washing, get all the nooks and crannies while singing the "ABC" song. By the time you finish the childhood melody, your hands should be well clean enough to now wash your tattoo.

Remember to do the above steps for THREE DAYS ONLY. Using any kind of ointment for longer than that can lead to complications. You can use neosporin or bacitracin, but I don't recommend it as some people can get toxic reactions from using medications so much. I know around a dozen or so tattooists who had to go to the hospital because suddenly their bodies reacted near fatally to having neosporin on their new tattoos for days. Not good. Keeping the tattoo clean will be fine. After the initial three days of washing the tattoo like an obsessive-compulsive ape, just wash the tattoo 2-3 times a day and start applying a tiny, tiny dab of mild, unscented skin lotion to the tattoo on a limited basis. Cetaphil LOTION (not the cleanser) is a good mild brand. Don't use the lotion too much though. Obsessing on it and applying the lotion too often can lead to clogged pours and pimples on and around the tattoo.

A few days after all this, your tattoo shouldn't scab, but it will peel like a sunburn. If this is the case, congratulations, you followed the above instructions well. These peelings will be the colors of the tattoo though, and that looks like fu**ing hell. Don't worry though, it's not the tattoo falling out, but rather the epidermis exfoliating and carrying with it any excess pigment. Your tattoo is healing beneath that in the dermis, so don't freak out if it looks like your arm is excreting some kind of fruity children's breakfast cereal flakes.

After the tattoo is done peeling, it will look slightly shiny and waxy. At this point you can still use lotion whenever it feels too dry, but it's pretty much going to be doing fine on it's own. If the skin feels tight, you can use something like Aquaphore, coacoa butter, etc at this point because the skin is no longer open or abraded. The tattoo will take around 1-2 weeks of really babying it and then an additional 2-4 weeks of going completely back to normal. Tattooed skin actually takes around 6 weeks to absolutely, 100% heal if cared for properly. During that time, please, please, please keep it out of too much sun exposure. ESPECIALLY during the initial 2 weeks of healing. Your new skin has no real protection against UV rays, and going to get a tan on a healing tattoo will f**k it royally. Also, once your tattoo is healed, start putting a heavy sunblock on it whenever you go out for a day in the sun. What SPF? I honestly advise a SPF 50 or above. Consider your tattoo a long-term investment. Keeping the UV off of it will keep it looking good for years to come.

Other things to remember while it's healing: Don't wear tight clothing on your tattoo while healing. It's especially important if you get a tattoo on your leg to wear shorts, culottes, a dress, or something that won't rub on the tattoo. Pants rubbing on tattoo = shi**y heal. If you got a tattoo on your waistline, wear something that is not constricting as much as possible for the first week. Now is the time to convince your friends that mu-mus and togas are the height of fashion.

Other than the above advice: don't expose your healing tattoo to any belt sanders, brick dust, or cat sh*t and it should be fine.

This giant fu**ing wall of text is brought to you by a second generation tattooist who has been putting Tazmanian devils on redneck's arms for 20+ years. Don't listen to any so called tattoo experts in any bars, busses, or tv shows on how to take care of your healing tattoo.
    That's pretty much the aftercare i hand out to clients but clearly toned down to be less insulting / patronising. Sure other methods can work but given his, his fathers and his grandfathers combined ~150 years experience in tattooing i'd say it's a pretty healthy baseline to go by.

As for the reason of clingfilm wrapping, i'd need to dig out my notes from my scarification seminar about why it's so damn useful in the first day to keep that shit wrapped up, something Ron Garza experimented with a lot was different methodology in initial healing, and has since been approached by medical universities in Canada for his expertise in the matter.
    Last edited by Hazel; 08-05-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    Keep in mind that everyone is different..
    Totally agree with this, only tattoo I've kept clingfilm wrapped for a day was my first one which scabbed up and faded badly. I put that down to it being executed very poorly though!

All my others, I've done as above minus a few that only had the wrap on for a few hours, the rest a fair bit longer as travelling back from my current artist takes a while! Also not done the super hot thing, my skin reacts badly to getting hot as it is. I can't say I've washed it "aggressively" either but I've always made sure to clean it properly, maybe that's down to interpretation, I wasn't overly gentle though or they'd have taken forever to clean :p

All this talk of tattoos is making me want to get more! Good thing my artist is so slammed she's not taking bookings for the mo!
    Last edited by Hazel; 08-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    18 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Every time we have just one or two appointments in our calendar i get eager to work on a new piece or finish one of the 5 i've already got on the go, and then we get a flood of walk ins. Stupid business being popular and making money getting in the way of making me look pretty!
    -