Question When is it "safe" to wear silicone? and why?

I have been wondering when it's safe/ok to wear silicone in a piercing or stretch, and when it's not.

I must have read a zillion times not to stretch with silicone and not to wear it in a fresh stretch (and I've passed the advice on) but I'm not sure why, other than the fact that extremely thin silicone (i.e. earskins) isn't strong or rigid enough to hold a fresh stretch open. I have the impression there's more to it than that.

So ... why is silicone not safe for fresh holes?

When does it become safe?
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

It's porous, full of tiny holes that create pockets for bacteria and if worn in a new piercing it can fuse to your skin and cause no end of problems.

Same goes for fresh stretches, if there were any micro tears in your stretch it can be like wearing it in a fresh piercing.

It's safe to wear in a healed piercing or about 1 month after a stretch, though i wouldn't recommend ever wearing it long term.
    Valhalla Tattoo & Piercing
    -
    Let Another's Wounds Be Your Warning -

Ahaa, thanks Darren

So just an example, if there's lymph/crusties then it's a bad idea to wear silicone?

VCH, 5mm tongue

As for stretching with silicone, in addition to the porous material thing, I figure it's because if you dead-stretch with a solid plug, you can obviously see if the hole is too tight for it to fit. If you fold up a silicone eyelet and let it expand back, you can't tell that the hole isn't ready, the eyelet just forces the fistula open and rips it. (this is about thicker eyelets, I guess earskins are too thin and weak to force the hole open)

1 inch both lobes, 6mm upper right lobe, 6mm left inner conch, 6mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm both nipples

tumblr

The thought of the inside of my ear fusing into holes in silicone was enough to put me off ever wearing it.

I'm not sure if it's the same as acyrilic with all the cancer scare stuff? The were bitching about it on JE and mentioned silicone was shitty too. But tbh i didn't follow it much, too much sodding drama :P
    Hai, I'm Nox!!
    Several stabbings, & planning my first tattoo
    ~Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder ~

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nox~ View Post
    The thought of the inside of my ear fusing into holes in silicone was enough to put me off ever wearing it.

I'm not sure if it's the same as acyrilic with all the cancer scare stuff? The were bitching about it on JE and mentioned silicone was shitty too. But tbh i didn't follow it much, too much sodding drama :P
    They say non kaos branded silicone is crap which tbh it usually is. But no it's not in the same league as acrylic.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    22 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

I only wear Kaos silicone in my lobes, and clear silicone o-rings from BAF. I just don't trust anyone else's.

Especially not BJS, after I had an allergic reaction to their o-rings that they swore blind were silicone (which I'm not allergic to).

VCH, 5mm tongue