Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Snake Bite Piercing, is it good for me?

Hi everyone, I'm new to piercing and wanted to ask some questions before actually getting it.

Well, I'm a freshmen in high school. Today my friend told me to get Snake Bite Piercing with him. At first I thought he was crazy, but after checking it out online, it looks alright. I've never had a piercing ever before in my life or know how they work. This might be a new experience for me. I have asked my mom if I can have it, she said no, but I will some how convince her. I still need to make clear if I want the piercing or not. Below are the questions I need some help with before I want to get the piercings.

If I don't want the piercing after the first few weeks, can I just take them out and the holes will grow back like the way it was before it pierced? (Don't want to fuck up my lip lol)

Is one week enough to get it healed to the point where I can take it off for at least a day? (I have a class called ROTC where you can't wear piercings and when we have Uniform Day which is once a week, we can't wear piercings all day. Since next week is spring break for our school, I could get it Friday and have one week to get healing for it. Or should I just get it next year where I won't be taking that class?)

What will happen to the holes after I don't wear them for few years? (I don't think I'm gonna wear it my whole life, will probably stop after high school. Want to know what will happen to my lip afterword, will it look bad and will the holes ever grow back or am I just gonna have to live with two tiny holes each side of my lip?)

What are the main disadvantages of it? (I don't mind getting it as long as it not too much trouble to take care of it. Not worrying about what I will get from it, I'm more concerned about what will I lose or damage when I get the piercings?)

That's all my questions for now, might have some more later. Thanks.

I can't answer all your questions but I think you have actually answered some of them yourself. The jewellery should not be removed until it is healed. If you are attending a class where you need it to be removed weekly then perhaps you should wait until you don't attend this class. By then you will know if you really want to go through with it. You will also need to look after them in the initial healing process. Perhaps you could search some of the experience diaries on here too to answer your particular questions in the last few paragraphs.
    Good luck with your research.
    Jo

Will the day be bright or cloudy?
    Sweetly has its dawn begun
    But the heaven may shake with thunder
    Ere the setting of the sun
    Emily Bronte 1836

I have: First & second lobes, single Right nostril, left rook, right Helix, right Daith, left tragus, naval, left Conch and new Right 14 gauge conch

I just read the first half, but basically you don't even sound sure that you want it. So don't even think of getting it until you've decided! Then when you think you're decided, think about it some more. A lip piercing will probably leave a scar, on your face. Mine did. So think about it. And yeah wait until you don't have to take it out for a day a week.

Now
    : 8/9mm lobes. 5mm septum. double conch.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punch.
    central labret. L nipple. industrial. 9 tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by RhoDoDenDron View Post
    I've had six lip piercings so far, so I can probably help here.

For convincing your mother (which I know you didn't ask about), I'd just say be straight-up about it. It's your body and you should be entitled to have a good measure of control over it. You can also quote any of the things I'm going to go on to say.

If you take it out after one week, you mightn't get it back in after 15 minutes, let alone a full day. Oral piercings aren't like ear lobe piercings, and you generally only take them out if you want them to close up.

You may be able to get them pierced with glass though (never plastic), so go to a reputable studio and they'll be able to discuss your options a bit more. You'll be looking at at least three weeks before you can start changing them, and even then, I would avoid it if possible. I got away with my first lip piercing in a fully-uniform school by wearing a small clear bar with no end, but that takes practice and a healed piercing.

The longer you have it in, the more visible it will likely be when you take them out, but it also depends on thickness. If you get it pierced at 1.2mm (16ga) then you have a better chance of them not being noticeable than if you get them pierced at 1.6mm(14ga), bearing in mind that you can always go up to a 1.6 later without any hassle.

Main disadvantage? Occasionally they can flare up if you're sick and get a bit red, usually for a week or two over winter. You'll have to get used to some minor inconveniences while eating, etc. during the initial healing period. If they're placed too low, they can damage your gums.

All in all though, I'd say go for it! Chat to a professional piercer about it and see what they're recommend as regard starting with glass or waiting to start with steel/titanium later. Like I said, I have 6 lip piercings at the moment, and I love them all. Good luck
    Bioplast or PTFE are fine for initial piercing, it's acrylic that should be avoided as it cannot be sterilised. And steel's never good in initial piercings, in the UK it's a legal requirement to use titanium (if using metal), for initial piercing.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SleeeepyHollow View Post
    I just read the first half, but basically you don't even sound sure that you want it. So don't even think of getting it until you've decided! Then when you think you're decided, think about it some more. A lip piercing will probably leave a scar, on your face. Mine did. So think about it. And yeah wait until you don't have to take it out for a day a week.
    I was thinking this. You don't sound very sure about it nor like the idea of possible scarring, if that's going to be an issue then don't get them.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe
    17 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Yeah the fact that your friend told you to get it done with him and you're just kind of going along with it just makes me think you shouldn't bother. I had two lower lip piercings when I was 16 (8 years ago) which I took out about 6 years ago and I still have scars. If you don't want scars and you didn't even want this pierced until your friend told you to, you shouldn't do it.
    Sarah
    Current:: 3mm lobes x2, standard lobes x2, septum, smiley, philtrum, lip, nape md, wrist surface
    Want:: tragus surface, nape surface
    3 tattoos
    Want: DOTWORK

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Um, I made a pretty snap decision with mine.. but I knew I liked snakebites for years, and I decided I wanted them, and I only got them pierced when I did because I got them on a special offer, so I got them for £25 instead of £50, otherwise I probably would have given it more thought. Surely its better to decide you want a piercing and then get it, rather than to get a piercing and THEN decide you want it?

When I had mine, when I changed to smaller jewellery, I had one side out for less than five minutes. And it was difficult to get it through because it'd started to close, and mine were a month old at this point. So, unless you have super human healing powers, which I DOUBT you do, a week is nowhere near long enough to take it out for an extended period of time. And, if by some miracle it didn't close, you'd irritate the crap outta your lip - and that it is not fun. Wait until they're practical for you before even thinking about getting them pierced. Your piercing will thank you.

Can't answer the question on the scars, because I haven't taken mine out. But my friend has, you can still see the hole where it was pierced, but it's only like an acne scar. But if you don't want facial scars, again, re-consider your choice of piercing.

Main disadvantages - biting the bars, especially the ones they put in for swelling. That hurts, and hurts a lot. Potential gum/tooth damage - my dentist is now hyperaware about checking my gums/lip/teeth for any sign of damage, this is something to consider. I found it kinda hard to eat when I first got mine, it was just because my lip was sore and the bars kept getting caught on my teeth as I didn't know how to avoid it. They can get pretty sore, especially if I'm ill so my immune system isn't liking having two foreign bodies in my lip. The initial swelling can be a bitch. Mine took up all of the room on my bars, and I probably could've done with an extra mm on top of that.

Yeah, do your research and decide on if you really want snakebites. Otherwise it's just a waste of money tbh...
    Big Brother is watching you.
    you are not a special or unique snowflake.
    you're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
    Killjoys never die

ASTM F-138 stainless steel in perfectly fine for initial piercings. Good steel is better than bad titanium. Plastic should NEVER be used in healing piercing, not even PTFE or Tegron. Bioplast has become an unbrella term for plastic jewellery so be wary of that one. I know some piercers that use PTFE but most professionals won't touch it for initials.

Piercing isn't a fine art and what's fine for one person isn't fine for another, but there are plenty of general rules. Plastic makes it a lot easier for bacteria to hie inside your piercing that implant-grade metals.
    Please site reference that says PTFE isn't acceptable for initial jewellery. Considering it's used for medical implants by the NHS I'm confused as to how it's not acceptable for a healing fistula.

It's a bio compatible implant grade material so according to EU regulations it's fine. Implant grade steel and titanium are also fine as you say.

Bioplast is a trade name which I believe no one knows 100% what it's made from but has again been cleared as being bio compatible. Of course there's plenty of shit quality plastics out there some not labelled correctly so it's a case of being savvy when shopping.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe
    17 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.

ASTM F-138 stainless steel in perfectly fine for initial piercings. Good steel is better than bad titanium. Plastic should NEVER be used in healing piercing, not even PTFE or Tegron. Bioplast has become an unbrella term for plastic jewellery so be wary of that one. I know some piercers that use PTFE but most professionals won't touch it for initials.

Piercing isn't a fine art and what's fine for one person isn't fine for another, but there are plenty of general rules. Plastic makes it a lot easier for bacteria to hide inside your piercing than implant-grade metals.

The two bolded parts here are utter bullshit.
    Valhalla Tattoo & Piercing
    -
    Let Another's Wounds Be Your Warning -

Quote Originally Posted by dpack_1 View Post
    The two bolded parts here are utter bullshit.
    Thought as much.
    17 hours of tattoo work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast