Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tattoos and the workplace

Senior Member Piercedprincess84's Avatar

Here in Norway they are much more relaxed about body mods than England. I worked in a shop with my hands, wrist, finger and collarbones tattooed. Also had my face full of metal lol I remember when I worked in a supermarket in England and they had hissy fits over my labret- even though it was a tiny stud!
    ❤️ Sarah ❤️
    Pierced x27
    6 in each lobe
    1st hole stretched to 12mm, 2nd hole to 4mm
    Tragus in both ears
    2 Helix in right ear
    Bridge
    Right eyebrow x2
    Septum 8g
    Snakebites
    Labret
    Angelbites
    Both nostrils
    Tattooed x11
    More metal and ink planned!!
    http://Instagram.com/piercedprincess84
    http://facebook.com/piercedprincesssarah

I'm planning on going into the medical field, and I know people always say they're really strict about visible tattoos and piercings because it looks "unprofessional", so I'm going to try to get all of my tattoos where they can be easily hidden under clothes. And as far as piercings go, I will get the clear rings to hide those.

However, I think tattoos and piercings should not be frowned upon in the workplace as long as they're not offensive to others (racism, homophobic, etc.). I think they express people's personalities. Your body is a canvas.
    Current: Navel piercing
    Want: Tragus piercing, Nose piercing, Tongue piercing, shoulder blade tattoo
    Retired: Simple Earlobes, Cartilage Piercings

I work for a bank and tattoos are not really overly acceptable when it comes to letting customers see them. Mine are on my back so it's never an issue. A girl I work with is more inked than me and has a gorgeous tattoo on her lower arm which she has to cover, usually by just putting her jacket on, when she sees customers.

We had a day in the summer doing voluntary work and so didn't have office clothes on and it was interesting to see how many tattoos came out. Our boss commented on it and actually jokingly asked who other than him has no tatts.

Nobody says anything about piercings. There's 3 of us in our office with nose piercings. I used to always wear small studs but one of the others wears a hoop so ive done the same at times without receiving any comments.
    Piercings:
    Nose, tongue, navel, both nipples horizontally, VCH

Tattoos:
    Line of butterflies from lower belly round onto back and up to my shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by MorganB View Post
    I'm planning on going into the medical field, and I know people always say they're really strict about visible tattoos and piercings because it looks "unprofessional", so I'm going to try to get all of my tattoos where they can be easily hidden under clothes. And as far as piercings go, I will get the clear rings to hide those.

However, I think tattoos and piercings should not be frowned upon in the workplace as long as they're not offensive to others (racism, homophobic, etc.). I think they express people's personalities. Your body is a canvas.
    I know this is an old thread, but regarding your comment about entering the medical field, I would say you need to be very careful regarding tattoos and facial piercings. While they shouldn't discriminate against you, they make it very clear that you should dress in a 'professional' manner and this often includes things like visible tattoos. I know several students who have been told off for having their hair dyed for example. Plus, all of our exams have a domain marked 'professionalism' and this does in fact include general appearance. I had a friend who failed that domain because of her scruffy shoes. Just wanted to point out that the medical field can be very strict on this sort of thing, at least in the UK.

I think that tattoos are becoming more commonplace, and although upper arm would be more visible than the leg, it would still be fairly easy to cover.

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

I work in a family business, so it's a little easier for me to get away with my piercings. Not to say I can look like a pin cushion, but I have not had issues from the family regarding work with the current piercings I have. I'm pushing it with stretching my septum, so I've already ordered a septum bullet as well as a steel crescent (claw/pincher) to wear when I do stretch up again.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Labret
    Septum (12g 2mm)
    Nose (both sides)
    Double, vertical tongue piercings

~~Want~~
    Rook to Anti-tragus Industrial
    X3 Cartilage piercings in both ears.

INSTAGRAM - @piercedpoison

Senior Member AliceinWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by princesskay22 View Post
    I think that tattoos are becoming more commonplace, and although upper arm would be more visible than the leg, it would still be fairly easy to cover.
    I've seen more than a few customers walk in to our work place, with visable arm tattoos. So yes I agree, they are becoming more commonplace.
    ~~Piercings~~
    Labret
    Septum (12g 2mm)
    Nose (both sides)
    Double, vertical tongue piercings

~~Want~~
    Rook to Anti-tragus Industrial
    X3 Cartilage piercings in both ears.

INSTAGRAM - @piercedpoison

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345