Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How Long Until Cartilage Piercing Stops Hurting?

Hey guys, I'm new here.

Anyhow. I had my cartilage pierced 12 days ago. It's doing really well, it's perfectly clean, and, doesn't hurt at all whilst left alone. I do a sea salt wash twice daily.

I do have one concern though. It is sore as hell to the touch, and to sleep on. Seriously if I touch it, it hurts. I have tried each and every night since having it done to sleep on it, however it's too painful. Is it normal to still be like this after nearly 2 weeks, or, am I just expecting too much too soon? As I said when I don't touch it I don't even notice it's there. Thanks in advance

Yep, totally normal. Don't touch it and definately don't sleep on it.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

The best thing to do is not touch it or sleep on it. If however it's incredibly painful still then there may be another issue.

How are you washing it?
    How much salt are you using?
    Do you sleep on it often?
    What jewellery do you have in there?
    What's the jewellery made from?
    Does the jewellery seem too long/short/pinched in?
    Could there be a placement issue?
    What part of your cartilage is pierced?
    Do you have any other problems such as it being very swollen, very red, oozing pus, hot to touch, bad throbbing/aching?
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Quote Originally Posted by redraven View Post
    The best thing to do is not touch it or sleep on it. If however it's incredibly painful still then there may be another issue.

How are you washing it?
    How much salt are you using?
    Do you sleep on it often?
    What jewellery do you have in there?
    What's the jewellery made from?
    Does the jewellery seem too long/short/pinched in?
    Could there be a placement issue?
    What part of your cartilage is pierced?
    Do you have any other problems such as it being very swollen, very red, oozing pus, hot to touch, bad throbbing/aching?
    The only time I touch it is when I do the sea salt wash. It's not extremely painful, just, a little worse than when I had my navel pierced.

I'm washing it by using like a dropper thing which I put the water and salt into, and then squirt it onto my ear. I use the whole bottle twice daily. It's going on there all ok because my ear is covered in salt lol! I use a lot of salt, also.

I try a couple of times every night to lie on it, but each time, I am unsuccessful as it's still too sore and so I have to make do with sleeping on my other side.

I'm thinking it may be the jewellery which is causing it to be sore. The guy put this huge barbell ring? in it, which has a huge sticking out back. I assume he used this to make room for swelling. It might be painful to lie on, because the back sticks out so much, it's the back which hurts the most when touched.

The jewellery is titanium. It is placed all ok as I went to a professional piercer, who used a needle. I had the top part of my cartilage pierced (the usual placement).

It has been absolutely fine other than this! It was never even red or swollen, etc.

Ok running salt water over it won't do anything.
    Using "a lot" of salt is not good, it's burning your skin.
    To soak a piercing in sea solution can be effective, however you only need 1/4tsp to 250ml of boiled, then cooled (but still warm) water and soak the piercing for 5-10 minutes 1 or 2 times a day. Make sure you rinse with plain water afterwards.
    Another alternative is just rinse it in the shower.
    Use a travel pillow to sleep on so the piercing isn't squashed in your sleep, if you have long hair tie a ponytail/bunch on that side of your head so you can't turn onto it.
    Go to a good piercer and get it swapped out for a sterile labret or barbell, rings can be awful for healing with.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.

I would follow Redravens advice in regards to cleaning it, and I agree with switching it to a labret or a barbell. All my cartillage piercings that start with rings have ended up with bumps that are PITA to deal with.

Ontop of that, I had a cartillage piercing on the outer rim of my ear and it was a year before I could touch it without it being 'sore'.
    tumblr// facebook

have;
    10g first + 14g second lobes, right helix,
    left daith, right conch, paired nostrils,
    vertical labret.
    horizontal nipples.
    want;
    industrial, septum, rook,
    third lobe, outer conch.

Cartilage is notorious for being a real pain in the ass. Some people have it a lot easier than others, and their cartilage piercings will heal within 6 months. Others take as long as a year. Still others can't have cartilage piercings because the blood flow to their cartilage is too poor to support healing a piercing there. The point being, it's difficult to peg exactly when yours will stop aching and allow you to treat it like a normal toughened piercing. It's something you kind of have to feel out and take it day by day.

I'm at 8 months with my cartilage piercing, and I wouldn't dream of sleeping on it. I completely trained myself to only sleep on my right side despite the fact that my left was the side I've always slept on. Oh the things we do for piercings lol. I can pull on it a bit and it's relatively painless, but if I ever wear my hair down (it's heavy + the oil in it is an issue), my piercing gets fussy and oozes a little bit. They're fragile things, cartilage piercings. Good luck with yours!

Oh, and as for aftercare, don't do that thing with the dropper! What I did was got a small glass, like a water glass you'd keep on your bedside table, and found out how many ounces it held. The ratio is supposed to be 1/4 tsp of sea salt (make sure it's sea salt, non-iodized) to 8 ounces of water. I buy distilled water from the store and pour a glass of it every night, then add the 1/4 tsp of sea salt and stick it in the microwave for about 50 seconds. This gets it as hot as it should be without making it so hot that it takes forever to cool down. Then I just lean over and hold my ear in the glass for 5 full minutes. Then, if there's any pus or whatever on my earring (and I always check with a q-tip under the scaffold of the cartilage, because I can't see that well enough to tell, and pus tends to drain there when it does come out), I get it off with a q-tip. Before starting this, wash your hands thoroughly, rubbing the soap in for 30 full seconds and then rinsing. After cleaning it, rinse it in normal water to get the salt off. Then, you're set! Takes me about 10 minutes in total every day, and it's pretty simple.
    Last edited by Xade; 10-04-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Most of the pain the first few weeks is through bruising in my case

My first conch is 11 months old and still produces lymph now and again and gets pissy and sore now and again

I get on ok with mine sleeping but first few weeks its too sore to sleep on lol
    Piercings done:
    1.2 mm Eyebrow (26/03/11) || 1.6 mm Central Labret (21/05/11) || 11 mm Left Lobe || 11mm Right Lobe || 1.6 mm Double Conch (29/10/11) (29/11/12)
    Possible:
    Still Thinking
    Retired:
    Left Nipple
    Ink:
    Roman Numerals of 04 04 2009 on my right wrist
    Baby Hand Print with DOB in Binary
    Planned Ink:
    Scottish Sleeve

I sleep on my triple helix although I try not to and don't advocate it haha, it's not even a month old, it's slightly tender now and then but not particularly sore. There's time for it to get pissy though
    27 hours of tattoo work

my snug and right rook (not my left rook for some reason) are a few monthes old, and still get pissy and sore if i sleep on them.

3 x helix (1.6mm, 8mm), rook, snug, 2 x tragus (1.2mm, 4mm), 2 x daith, anti tragus, 2 x 16mm lobes, 6mm conch punch, 8mm helix punch

double nostrils, philtrum, double septum (2mm, 10mm)

3.2mm + 2.4mm navel, 2 x horizontal nipple, R vertical 2.4mm nipple, 2 x inner labia

want:6mm tragus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast