Default New tatt - Cling film? Covering at night? Help!

It's been that long since my last ones (10 years!) that I actually can't remember a thing about them healing... Although I fear it involved Savlon spray back then! .... So please excuse my ignorance

My artist for my new one said I had to keep my new tatt covered (bep, cling film, porous tape) til the next morning then apply bep a few times each day to keep it moist and only ever cleanse it with soap (he recommended Dove). He also stated it needed to be covered at night during the initial healing process and also when outside (it's on my arm) to avoid damaging it.

All is well but today someone mentioned that I should've stopped covering it at night now (4 days) and that cling film should never be used - is this true? I'm Googling but I don't really trust Yahoo Answers much (which seems to be providing most answers...) after seeing *shocking* advice on other things in the past!

After taking it off next morning, I'm only covering it when in bed or if going into crowded places (hello pubs!) as this does seem kinda logical...

Please can someone advise? I have searched the forum but can't seem to find specific answers :(
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Tattoos:
    2x Celtic knots on back
    Latin text on left wrist

Piercings:
    Right ear - lobe x2
    Left ear - lobe x4, tragus, forward helix

Retired:
    Navel and tongue - RIP <3

Next stop:
    2x more FHs in left ear to make a triple
    Snug and/or anti-tragus in right ear
    Turning Latin tattoo into a cuff
    Aquatic tattoo
    ...2013 will be expensive!

I can only give you my own opinion but I had a large shoulder piece done last weds and was told to keep the clingfilm on until I go to bed and re-wrap it for a couple of days and wash with soap and apply bep. I wasn't happy with this advice (altho my artist is wonderful) and thru learning on here (mostly from Hazel) I decided to let my tatt tell me. It was a scorching day when I got it done and during the two bus rides home I sweated so bad under the cling film that the excess ink was running down my arm with the sweat and it felt extra sore.
    I left it on another hour and then took it off. Let my tatt breathe. Come evening I gave a light wash and used a small amount of simple soap (I wouldn't use dove as it's very perfumed), I dabbed gently dry with kitchen towel and let it air breathe for about ten mins before warming up the bep tube in warm water. I applied a very thin layer and left it uncovered whilst I slept. It felt sooo much better.
    I had work the next day, just washed it and bepped it morning and night with just a light bep application middle of the day. I did this for 5 days and now I'm applying simple light moisturiser several times a day to help keep the tatt supple and I give a quick wash in the shower at night. I'm applying the cream whenever it feels tight and dry and this is working great. Not much scabbing and it helps with the itching. I wouldn't keep a tatt wrapped for long personally as they need to breathe and heal in the air.
    I work with plants in a dirty environment but found it easy to heal.
    If I were you I'd stick to a perfume-free moisturiser and see how it goes.
    Lecture over!!
    Labret, Nostril, 6 x Lobes, 3 x Helix (2 X stretching), Tragus, Daith & Inner Conch
    ~ I'm Faye ~

You don't need cling film after Day 1

Now
    : 8/9mm lobes. 5mm septum. double conch.
    helix. tongue. rook. 5mm conch punch.
    central labret. L nipple. industrial. 9 tattoos.

Retired: snakebites. nostril x 2. 2nd & 3rd lobes.
    helix. outer conch.

Next: tattoos.

Tumblr. Facebook.

I leave the cling film on for a few hours after its done, then wash it and put Bep on. I don't put cling film on again after that.
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

http://www.facebook.com/emmalsims

Same as above, I remove cling film when I get home, it's mainly just to protect your clothing.

I just used very thin layers of bep and washed with simple face wash 2 times a day for the 1st week and then went down to simple moisturiser and washing it only once or twice a day after that for another week and after that I think I just moisturised it when it felt needed it and washed as normal.

As long as you don't overwash it, you're not allergic to bep (some people are) and you don't constantly cover it or use anything harsh on it (like srubcs etc) then it will be fine.

Not sure why your artist gave the advice they did as covering that much isn't a good idea imo.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe
    17 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. Shall keep it completely off now then

Keep hearing about people having a problem with the bep, but thankfully I seem to be one of the lucky ones!
    Tattoos:
    2x Celtic knots on back
    Latin text on left wrist

Piercings:
    Right ear - lobe x2

Retired:

Next stop:
    Turning Latin tattoo into a cuff
    Aquatic tattoo
    ...2013 will be expensive!

Magnificent Moderator Kaitey (:'s Avatar

I have heard of some people using cling film to heal tattoos though, wash tattoo, apply bep, rewrap and keep repeating til it's healed. I know BigRedFish who used to frequent here and had a LOT of tattoos healed that way at least once:-)
    Maybe that's just the healing method preferred by your artist hence their advice?
    I'm Katie, one of the mods on here.
    Please read the forum rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitey (: View Post
    I have heard of some people using cling film to heal tattoos though, wash tattoo, apply bep, rewrap and keep repeating til it's healed. I know BigRedFish who used to frequent here and had a LOT of tattoos healed that way at least once:-)
    Maybe that's just the healing method preferred by your artist hence their advice?
    Thanks Kaitey, this is also good to know! I may consider some re-wrapping in a couple of upcoming circumstances, I'm really paranoid at the mo with it being in such an easy place for virtually everything to come into contact with! :( Even sleeping with it off kept me awake somewhat what with wrist going under pillow :-/
    Tattoos:
    2x Celtic knots on back
    Latin text on left wrist

Piercings:
    Right ear - lobe x2

Retired:

Next stop: