Default Sterile Saline (for contact lenses)

Is it OK to use the sterile saline available in Boots that's meant for contact lenses to clean piercings? I left my studex ear lotion that I got free when I had my lobes done in Denmark (lol) and I've just been cleaning my cartilage piercing twice daily with water (I know I should have been using something else, but it's been fine so far). I bought the sterile saline today as I presumed that whether it's meant for contact lenses or piercings, sterile saline is sterile saline, but I'd like to be on the safe side before I actually start using it on my new rook piercing.

Thanks in advance!
    Sophie

Piercings: lobes x 1 (l), lobe x 2 (r), 4mm lobe (r) cartilage x 1 (r), rook (r), nipple (r)

Tattoos: ace of spades with text underneath on ribs

Want: septum, medusa, conch, forward helix, right nostril, vertical tragus, more tattoos

You can easily make your own salt soaks by mixing 1/4-1/8tsp of sea salt to a mug of pre-boiled hot water. It saves so much money and does the exact same job.

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

Its not necessarily true that you should be using anything other than water on your piercings. A lot of people use that technique (including myself) where we just run water over them in the shower and stuff and it works well for us.
    SSS can be very beneficial as well, but I just wanted to add that.
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

I read that the stuff with "for sensitive eyes" on the bottle can be better (does that just mean it's sterile?), and I got some today from Asda for 97p. I made my own SSS anyway but thought the saline might also come in handy.

If it's sterile it will say that on the bottle. Once it's opened it loses its sterility anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Read the bottle and make sure the only ingredients are water and sodium chloride and nothing else.

If you're going to use it, it's best to make your own.
    Alison.

Current:
    * 8 Tattoos
    * Tongue (29/06/12)
    * 3 lobes each side
    * Left Tragus (31/12/12)
    * Right Nostril (22/06/12)
    * 2 MD's (04/06/12)
    * VCH (02/07/12)
    * Monroe (10/07/12)

Retired:
    * Tongue (2001)
    * Cartilage (1997)
    * Navel (1998)
    * Nostril (2003)
    * R & L Nipples (2002)
    * VCH (2000)

Wanted:

* Navel (if suitable)
    * R & L Nipples
    * More Tattoos
    * MD for a tattoo
    * Left Daith

Quote Originally Posted by ABCDemily View Post
    You can easily make your own salt soaks by mixing 1/4-1/8tsp of sea salt to a mug of pre-boiled hot water. It saves so much money and does the exact same job.
    I'm a bit of a lazy sod and can never be bothered to make my own SSS (plus we don't have any sea salt in the house) but next week I'll give it a go. Do you use the SSS twice a day or just once?

Quote Originally Posted by spudkissed View Post
    Its not necessarily true that you should be using anything other than water on your piercings. A lot of people use that technique (including myself) where we just run water over them in the shower and stuff and it works well for us.
    SSS can be very beneficial as well, but I just wanted to add that.
    Well, that's good news! As I said, my cartilage has been absolutely fine so far with just getting good cleans with water twice a day.

Quote Originally Posted by aldal83 View Post
    If it's sterile it will say that on the bottle. Once it's opened it loses its sterility anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Read the bottle and make sure the only ingredients are water and sodium chloride and nothing else.

If you're going to use it, it's best to make your own.
    Ok, well, I'm going to use that until I get some sea salt next week (and if I'm going away and won't have access to kettles/sea salt etc.) and then I'll get right on with the SSS.

Thanks for you help everyone!
    Sophie

Piercings: lobes x 1 (l), lobe x 2 (r), 4mm lobe (r) cartilage x 1 (r), rook (r), nipple (r)

Want: septum, medusa, conch, forward helix, right nostril, vertical tragus, more tattoos

It is ok not to use salt solutions, you don't HAVE to.

I personally don't use it, although i do have some just in case.

I prefer to leave them alone and just give them a wee wash in the shower daily which works well for me.
    Alison.

Current:
    * 8 Tattoos
    * Tongue (29/06/12)
    * 3 lobes each side
    * Left Tragus (31/12/12)
    * Right Nostril (22/06/12)
    * 2 MD's (04/06/12)
    * VCH (02/07/12)
    * Monroe (10/07/12)

Retired:
    * Tongue (2001)
    * Cartilage (1997)
    * Navel (1998)
    * Nostril (2003)
    * R & L Nipples (2002)
    * VCH (2000)

Wanted:

* Navel (if suitable)
    * R & L Nipples
    * More Tattoos
    * MD for a tattoo
    * Left Daith

I'm thinking I might try using it once every other day (along with my twice daily water cleaning), just to make sure that everything stays nice and fresh. I'm mainly just concerned about keeping my rook healthy as I know they can be a real pain to heal and I don't want it to get infected.
    Sophie

If you're going to use saline in a bottle make sure it doesn't have additives in it which most contact lens stuff does.

I don't really soak my piercings all that much and when I do I don't always use salt. Just find what works for you.

Infections in piercings are really rare btw.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    22 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules