Default Tongue piercing - day 4 - normal?

So it's day 4 of my tongue piercing and it hurts!!! The pain is bearable like, but it is constant. I think I have been talking too much, and the balls are rubbing on either side of my tongue. However it doesn't seem infected, there is no goo and minimal swelling.

What should I do? Is this normal? Does a tongue piercing normally still hurt after 4 days? I am washing with non-alcoholic mouthwash, brushing regularly but not on my tongue, swilling with salt-water, eating soft foods, and taking painkillers...?

I just need someone to tell me it's normal and that it'll go away soon, I'll be so annoyed if I need to take it out.

So yeah.......how long should it normally take for the pain to die down? And does it matter if it takes a little longer than usual, or should I be worried.

I'm on day 7 and tbh the pain/irritation is only just got to almost zero, 4 days is nothing. You'll find around a weeks time the swelling and annoyance will go.

Also either swill with sea-salt or non alcohol mouthwash twice a day, not both. In fact all I've done is maintain brushing twice a day and swill with mouthwash once a day. Make sure to introduce some solid food at some point or your tongue will start to get a bit lazy and you'll find getting back to normal foods difficult of course no need to go for awkward things but I've read of people literally living off soup and milkshakes for 2 weeks then wondering why they find eating real food hard hehe!

Keep yourself well hydrated, avoid hot, spicy, citrus, salty foods, don't play/mess with it, try and talk as normally as you can so you just get used to it being there. Some people find they don't swell/have irritation or pain, some will have a little for a few days, some a week, some nearly 2 weeks, I'd say if your problems either get worse or aren't getting any better by day 10 then go back to your piercer to see if there's some other problem like a placement issue.

Is there much room on the bar or does it feel tight? What's the bar made from?
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Thank you, I just needed a bit of comforting/reassurance! I posted a similar thread on a general forum and just got loads of replies telling me to go doctors or taking it out, I thought ooh Jesus lol. There is plenty of room for the bar, that's what makes me think my tongue can't be that swollen [kinda hard to know], if anything the bar moving up and down makes the pain worse, but it's too early to change to a smaller one so I guess I will just have to put up with it. And I have no idea what the bar is made from, I'm guessing steel or whatever they normally use?

It's better if it's made from titanium as steel contains nickel which some people can be or become allergic to. However it just sounds like the bar needs downsizing but this won't be until day 7-10. Am sure you'll be fine.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.

@redraven: why is it that one should choose between either salt water OR mouthwash?
    My piercer told me to choose but I've read everywhere that people use it together. You're the only one until now that says the same as my piercer.
    Can you explain me the reason?
    xx
    Piercings (10): 5 Lobes (one stretched gauge 00), 1 Helix, 1 Navel, 1 Industrial, 1 Sideburn, 1 Tongue
    Retired (2): 1 Lobe, 1 Tragus

Tattoos: 1 small treble clef on inner left ankle

Planning to get:
    -Tattoo on back
    -Tragus (2nd time)

Keep smiling!

Quote Originally Posted by ninushiki View Post
    @redraven: why is it that one should choose between either salt water OR mouthwash?
    My piercer told me to choose but I've read everywhere that people use it together. You're the only one until now that says the same as my piercer.
    Can you explain me the reason?
    xx
    Because using both will be overkill, may as well pick one and stick to it. Most people suffer irritation/problems when they overclean, your mouth is very adept at healing itself, upsetting the balance will make things worse. After dental surgery a dentist will advise the same and that's for minor/major wounds, let alone a tiny wee lil healing fistula healing in the tongue.
    27 hours of tattoo work

I used mouthwash of various kinds - probably non-alcoholic and was fine, have never heard of saltwater rinses for cleaning tongue piercings.
    Current piercings: Horizontal Nipples 4 mm, Tongue 8 mm.