Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Piercings & new job

Hello all,

So a bit of back ground! I am a lover or piercings and tattoos, I have the following;
    3 lobe piercings on both ears
    Tragus
    Helix
    Auricle
    Treble clef tattoo to my wrist
    Three star gazer lillies to my foot

I am an accountant and starting a new job in a few weeks and have just changed my ear piercings to small studs rather than the bcr's I had in - I thought they would look less obvious.

I am really thinking about getting my tongue pierced again and having my nose pierced too.

What do people thing in terms of making myself look less serious in my position or the loss of respect aspect, or taken less seriously.

My husband is concerned that I will look bad if I have anything thing else done...

What do others think?

Thanks
    Zo

Always a concern for me too. I'm a teacher, and so keep all of my tattoos and piercings hidden. I'd love to continue my sleeves etc, but alas... one day...

As much as mods are about freedom and expression, the last thing you want is to miss out on career opportunities because of them (which, of course, is more relevant in some fields than in others). I'd hide what you can, and sneekily introduce them back after you've settled in

Cheers,

Aaron.

You may get a tad more replies if you re-post this in the "General Piercing and Jewellry Forum"
    piercings
    lobes; tragus; nape; nipple; navel; vch; nostril doubles

tattoos
    star; lipstick kiss

I love my tattoos and piercings but I choose to cover them while in work. I am able to wear/show them freely but I just choose not to. I like to keep my professional and personal life seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus View Post
    Always a concern for me too. I'm a teacher, and so keep all of my tattoos and piercings hidden. I'd love to continue my sleeves etc, but alas... one day...

As much as mods are about freedom and expression, the last thing you want is to miss out on career opportunities because of them (which, of course, is more relevant in some fields than in others). I'd hide what you can, and sneekily introduce them back after you've settled in

Cheers,

Aaron.
    Thanks Aaron,
    I know what you are saying, my profession and my career mean alot to me but I also like to be me! Not the sterotype that my profession gets given.
    I think your advice regarding hiding and reintroducing when I am settling in will make them less of a big deal. Both my piercings and tattoos are very inoffensive and my tattoos have stories behind both of them so I am proud to have them.

Thanks Zo

Quote Originally Posted by lucyleigh View Post
    I love my tattoos and piercings but I choose to cover them while in work. I am able to wear/show them freely but I just choose not to. I like to keep my professional and personal life seperate.
    And that's a brilliant way to be Lucyleigh, I find that I spend more time at work than I do at home so personal and professional do sometimes get blurred and colleagues become close friends.

Zo

I don't think it matters why you have tattoos or piercings, stories or not some people will always judge, some won't give a toss.

As long as you're not breaking any formal rules at work then wear what you want to and show off what you want to, you're a grown person after all. You won't get anyone on this forum saying that they would think anything less of you in a professional capacity seeing as we're all pro-modification. Your ear piercings are more common than you may think and can be kept discreet, your foot tattoo may never be on show (depends what footwear you wear) and I assume your wrist tattoo is pretty small, you'd be surprised how little people notice things.

Many will not notice your tongue piercing and nostrils are also relatively common. However I understand your concern in the workplace, especially if it's a high end job but again what matters more, doing what you want or worrying/wondering what someone may think of you? Also maybe get your husband to elaborate on what 'bad' means. Some people have horrific dress sense, wear poorly applied make up, have really crooked teeth, all things people have the capacity to change or do something about but hey, it's their life, why not let them get on with it

But yeah, as long as you know for a fact you're not breaking any rules then why not get the mods you want?
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, nostril, septum, 2 wrist MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 2 nape MDs
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Senior Member Mug Of Nice Hot Horlicks's Avatar

i don't think it would matter if you get one in the building trade, as long as they don't catch on anything?.
    I AM NOW WEARING,
    2 X 22mm BLACKLINE FLESH TUNNELS.
    1 X 19mm BLACKLINE BCR IN LEFT CONCH.
    1 40mm BLACKLINE LEFT SCAFFOLD.
    1 X 16mm GOLD BARBELL IN TONGUE.
    EDITED ON: 01810/14 AT: 12:38 REV. 09.

never had a problem, but then, i was "normal" when i started the job many years ago. everything i've got, i've had since then, and as most of my tattoo's and piercings have been gradual, nobody has made any adverse comments, only one's like " i see you've been at it again ". even senior manager's don't make adverse comments, and i work for the government.
    55 in total
    left ear at 38 mil, 2 other lobe piercings, 3 x lower helix, conch, daith, rook and scaffold, tragus. i have a bar which joins the conch to the tragus
    right ear at 38 mil, 2 x 3.2 mil lobe piercings, 2 x lower helix (3.2 mil) 2 upper helix piercings, vertical anti-industrial, daith, 3 x anti helix, tragus
    septum
    tongue at 5 mil, smiley
    3 x nape
    labret 3.2 mil
    both nipples
    upper and lower navel
    7 genital piercings
    1 x guiche
    10 microdermals - 8 around neck/throat. 2 in wrist

^ That is just too damn cool. Working for the gov with piercings and tattoos, very cool image in my head there. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast