Default Hip Piercing - Microdermal or surface??

Which do you think is overall better? I'm thinking about getting my hips pierced. I like the way that the microdermal hip piercings look more and I know they tend to reject less. But if I ever want to take them out, it looks complicated and super painful. D: The surface piercings still look good but I'd be worried about them rejecting. Help me make a decision?

definitely go for microdermals. ive had mine for 9 months now & i still love them. ive never had dermals removed but ive had a skin diver removed which id assume is relatively the same procedure and i can say its no more painful that actually getting them done. i was worried about how much it would hurt, but its really not that bad
    Jess | facebook | tumblr

piercings: tongue, tongue web, 1st lobe piercings (both 16mm), second lobe piercings, snakebites, vertical labret, septum, conch, daith, helix (both ears), 4x hip microdermals.

tattoos: "hope" on wrist with heart (sisters name), Horseshoe with two roses and "oscar" in memory of old pony. candy skull on thumb & large monarch butterfly on thigh.

I had the exact same question! I was wondering, which one hurts less? And about how much would it cost for two micro dermal hip piercings?

i cant tell you which would hurt more or less because ive never had a surface piercing but i can say that my hip microdermals were probably about a 4 or 5 out of 10 for pain. mine cost 35 each, so 70. not sure how much it would be there as im in the UK :P
    Jess | facebook | tumblr

piercings: tongue, tongue web, 1st lobe piercings (both 16mm), second lobe piercings, snakebites, vertical labret, septum, conch, daith, helix (both ears), 4x hip microdermals.

tattoos: "hope" on wrist with heart (sisters name), Horseshoe with two roses and "oscar" in memory of old pony. candy skull on thumb & large monarch butterfly on thigh.

I have both MDs and surface bars. I think pain should be an irrelevant factor when it comes to making the decision about which you get. If you want it enough and one option seems right then you'll suck it up either way. There is no point getting something that won't work for you just because it might hurt less. I won't say which I think hurt more/less as not to sway the decision but neither were exactly terrible.

MDs are probably a more sensible option if you are worried about potential scarring if they do ever need to come out because any marks left are usually very tiny and fade with time. The mistake a lot of people make with surface bars is getting pierced with incorrect jewellery. In my opinion you need a staple shaped titanium surface bar, preferably internally thread, not too long and with an appropriate rise for the best chance of healing them. I am amazed at the amount of people who still get surface piercings done with straight bars.
    4 x Lobes
    2 x MDs Lower Back
    Navel
    Inverse Navel
    4 x Surface Hips
    3 x Left Inner Conch
    1 x Left Outer Conch
    Right Rook
    2 x Right Conch
    18 piercing corset on ribs (temporary fun only!)
    Orchid Tattoo Ribs
    3 x Retired Outer Conch

Natalie is right, staple-shaped is (for surface bars) the way to go and the fact that people still use straight barbells is appalling. As for a surface-bar vs MDs...both have pros and cons. MDs heal faster and leave less scarring if they do decide to reject. But I've found they actually reject more often than a properly done surface bar (assuming it gets to the point of being healed). I've seen a lot of MDs over a year old with no history of problems start to reject after getting snagged hard once. Surface bars, once healed, seem a lot sturdier over the long term.

I had a hip MD removed but it was already half way through rejecting, but didnt feel a thing. It was perfect for 8 months then one snag off the dog and it was gone. I have had a few problems with the other 2, but nothing major. I know a girl with surfaced pierced hips and shes had no issues whatsoever, but i prefer the look of the dermals.
    Have - Left ear - 3 lobe, 2 forward helix
    Right ear - 2 Lobe, 2 conch
    3 Microdermals in hip
    Navel Piercing
    Both Nipples
    Nose

Retired - Helix, Tragus, 1x Microdermal, 1x Forward Helix
    Want - Tongue Web and New Forward Helix

I would defiantly go with microdermals. I went with a surface bar for my sternum because I wanted to be able to remove it but it is seriously more hassle than its worth. I would never get a surface piercing again they reject so easily and leave hideous scars.

I can tell you from experience that dermals are the way forwards. So many of my friends have had surface piercings reject but I've had no problems with my dermals at all and they healed super quick too. I caught one of them once on my jeans when I'd been to the toilet and I mean I nearly ripped it out of my skin cos I did it with such force but it only stung a little and stayed perfectly in place and had 'healed' back up and calmed down in a week. I really love them and I doubt that you would ever want to take them out :') message me if you want any pictures or anything
    -- 2 hip dermals, septum, 2 nipple piercings, 2 stretched 10mm lobes, 2 normal lobe piercings, twice retired navel piercing (due to rejection) --

Want: navel, rook, 2 ear cartilage, and tongue (eventually)

If you use tumblr, follow me -
    metan0ein.tumblr.com