Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Daith piercing the new alternative for migraine relief??

Okay so I just watched a video on YouTube about a chick who suffered from migraines. Then she heard that a daith piercing can significantly improve the symptoms of migraines. She also said that since having the piercing she has had less frequent migraines and the intensity has definitely decreased. I am SO interested in how this works exactly. I'm currently following in the footsteps of my Aunt who suffered migraines from puberty up until her hysterectomy in her thirties. I don't get random migraines all the time like she did, but I also have one constant headache 24/7 and it never goes away. Literally, it is always there and it's extremely depressing and effects my school work. The head Paediatrician in North Queensland can't find anything that tells him why this is happening. Nor can he find something to treat it that actually works! I've even gone through acupuncture to the face!
    So, I was wondering, what are your thoughts on this? Do you believe a piercing to the outside of the ear canal would have any positive effects? If any effects at all? Thanks x
    ~Gabby~

Current
    -
    lobes, helix, forward helix, conch, outer conch, rook, smiley, tongue, nose, navel, nipple and wrist dermal
    Want - anti tragus and daith
    Retired - snakebites, tragus, helix and bottom navel

I'm not a medical student, but I do know a lot about biology and the human body. I don't see how piercing would help alleviate pain. I think what's more important is to understand the underlying cause. A headache is usually a symptom of a bigger problem and should always be investigated if it's constantly there as yours is.

Have you had your eyes tested recently? Short or long sightedness can cause headaches. Also herbal remedies can help. I know a girl whose food intolerances caused her migranes, and once she stopped eating the offending foods, her headaches went. Also, sometimes headaches can be a symptom of stress. In my country they are carrying out an investigation on people with different pain conditions, and their theory is that regularly speaking to a councellor can help alleviate constant pain (although these people have back pain so maybe that's different). As I said, I'm not a doctor or medical student, i just have an interest in this type of thing. Try as many things as possible and don't ignore the problem. And if you do get a daith, let us know if it fixed the problem! Sounds interesting!
    Hi, call me Starry
    Lover of art, music and mods.

Current:
    Left Ear: Stretched lobe @ 4mm, two standard lobes, tragus
    Right Ear: Stretched lobe @ 4mm, one standard lobe, auricle, rook
    Septum

RIP Standard Navel
    Piercings I want: Rook (left side), Horizontal nipple x2, helix, central labret

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde
    Con el tiempo, todo se consigue

It does sound very interesting! And yes as it turns out my eyes have problems focusing so I got glasses. They only made my eyes and head hurt and I was told it was best to not wear them. $120 later. I've had CT scans of my head which said everything is okay and nothing is wrong with me. And believe me I've tried everything from watching what I eat to high strength depression medication. I will most certainly let you know if I get it and if it changes my situation in any way.
    ~Gabby~

Current
    -
    lobes, helix, forward helix, conch, outer conch, rook, smiley, tongue, nose, navel, nipple and wrist dermal

a headache 24/7? wow that must suck don't know if i believe about the daith piercing helping migraines but i guess if you're willing you could always test it? you never know. it might help.... if not you'll just have a nice new shiney hope you find something that helps.
    Jess | facebook | tumblr

piercings: tongue, tongue web, 1st lobe piercings (both 16mm), second lobe piercings, snakebites, vertical labret, septum, conch, daith, helix (both ears), 4x hip microdermals.

tattoos: "hope" on wrist with heart (sisters name), Horseshoe with two roses and "oscar" in memory of old pony. candy skull on thumb & large monarch butterfly on thigh.

Yeah I'm so over it so really, I'm open to trying anything at this point and a new shiney sounds good! Thank you.
    ~Gabby~

Current
    -

Oh and apparently there's a pressure point in the area in which daith piercings go that when triggered by something such as an acupuncture or piercing needle, helps relieve the symptoms of migraines and chronic headaches. <-- Just read that and thought I'd add it to the thread.
    ~Gabby~

Current
    -

Yeah, it has to do with eastern medicine. For instance, tragi piercings help reduce appetite, anti-tragi can help ppl with depression and/or memory problems, helixes help ppl with insomnia, aso. Haven't heard anything about daiths/headaches though.
    Have (16):
    Right ear: 1st 2g, 2nd 14g, tragus 16g, conch 14g, 2 helices 16g
    Left ear: 1st 0g, tragus
    16g
    Snakebites 14g
    Philtrum 16g
    Cheeks
    14g
    2x diagonal nipple 14g
    Navel 14g

Retired:
    3 lobe piercings
    Left helix

Considering (for now): 1st lobes at 1/2", more helices,
    tongue, triangle or VCH, MDs

Facebook

off to get myself an anti-tragus & helix piercing then to help with my forgetfulness & lack of sleep
    Jess | facebook | tumblr

piercings: tongue, tongue web, 1st lobe piercings (both 16mm), second lobe piercings, snakebites, vertical labret, septum, conch, daith, helix (both ears), 4x hip microdermals.

tattoos: "hope" on wrist with heart (sisters name), Horseshoe with two roses and "oscar" in memory of old pony. candy skull on thumb & large monarch butterfly on thigh.

Did you want a Daith anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Freaku View Post
    Yeah, it has to do with eastern medicine. For instance, tragi piercings help reduce appetite, anti-tragi can help ppl with depression and/or memory problems, helixes help ppl with insomnia, aso. Haven't heard anything about daiths/headaches though.
    Good grief, but I've gotten fatter.
    Everyone else is out making something of themselves
    ... and I'm just sitting here eating Maoam.

Quote Originally Posted by Chansu View Post
    a headache 24/7? wow that must suck don't know if i believe about the daith piercing helping migraines but i guess if you're willing you could always test it? you never know. it might help.... if not you'll just have a nice new shiney hope you find something that helps.
    I was going to say something to this same effect.
    Might as well try it, the only thing you have to lose is nothing. And you gain a daith piercing if nothing else. I dont see a downside
    Now:
    left ear: lobes x2, tragus, helix, rook
    right ear: lobes x2, upper helix kinda thing
    left nostril, navel, septummmm!

Later:
    right forward helix or tragus, conch, maybe another lobe
    another helix on left ear
    tongue

Tattoos:

heart on my right foot <3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast