Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Piercing with Diabetes?...

I feel like I'm asking too many questions, but here it goes.

I got diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes today, about four hours ago. Now I have another friend with Type 1 Diabetes, and her mum doesn't let her get piercings done because of it, although I don't really know why...

How does Diabetes affect body piercing and tattoos, and does it mean I can't get them anymore? =/

I hope this isn't the case. It's been a hard enough day already. Thank you guys...
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Left ear: L
    obe (5mm), rook, anti-tragus,
    Right ear: Lobe (12mm), tragus, forward helix, conch
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

Scarred_pierced

It doesn't mean you cant get them anymore, but I think it's harder for them to heal or something, but if you've been getting them all this time then I don't see why you can't continue. I'm no expert, but we did have a member with diabetes who kept on getting pierced...even more than one actually.

As far as I know it may present longer healing times, found this for you.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 0g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    18 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Diabetics also suffer with poorer circulation - especially in the feet. When I was a pharmacy assistant we couldn't sell any type of plaster/foot healing product to a diabetic as loss of feeling often meant they had more severe foot problems.
    So I guess maybe tattoos on the feet/lower extremities could be a potential problem other than that it's more keeping your blood sugar levels correct to keep you in tip top condition and therefore capable of healing piercings/tattoos.
    It must be a blow but once you get your head round it all you'll feel more in control and hopefully all will stay well.

Thank you guys so much. I wasn't really planning on getting anything on my feet. I'm taking injections and keeping a close eye on my blood sugar levels, and I clean my piercings religiously when I get them...
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

Your immune system is hindered when your diabetic so it makes piercings harder to heal, and creates stress for your body.

Of course you can get and heal piercings, but I would definitely get one and 100% heal that. Ignore the '3 in 3 month' rule etc.

Thank you for the advice Kinda sucks really since I just got my forward helix done and was planning my tragus in a few weeks, but ah well. It's worth the wait if they heal properly
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

Yes. I agree with everything people have said here - I know a lot of people with diabetes type 1, some are pierced, and it really does hinder you immune system. Just go 1 piercing at the time and always let it fully heal before the next one. ^^
    Also, it sucks that you got diabetes. :( It's a really life changing disease, IMO...
    I'm severely at risk of type 2 diabetes, which is not nearly as bad as type 1 since it's not insulin dependent, but I still have to be very careful with my eating and stuff. Good luck dealing with it. Keep strong!
    Now a piercer in the making.
    ___

Piercings: both lobes 26mm (first) and 5mm (second), 4mm septum, 6mm philtrum, 3mm princess diana, 1.6mm nipples, scaffold (left ear), cheeks and outer labia
    , bridge and chest microdermals

Retired: too many. :(

Tattoos: quite a few hours. left thigh, knee and forearm. right foot. chest. half backpiece. index fingers.

Others: split tongue. stomach scarification. some pulling and play piercing.

Thank you very much. I wish you the best of luck with avoiding Type 2 - I think it sounds a lot harder to manage than type 1 =/

Thank you for all of your advice. It's really put my mind at ease
    Hi, I'm Kerry
    Facebook / Tumblr

Current:
    Septum

Right horizontal nipple

Navel
    Right nostril

Retired:
    Inverse Navel
    Left tragus

It's probably a good idea to mention it to your piercer when you're getting pierced as issues with your blood sugar may mean you're more likely to faint
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast