Default Septum Piercing & Tonsillectomy

Hey everyone,
    I currently have a septum piercing and have been booked in for a tonsillectomy on the 27th of this month... Now I was talking to the admissions office in the hospital I'll be in, and while they said there should be no problem, they said to bring a retainer if I have one.
    The only problem is, if they wanted to do anything with my nose while the retainer I have was in, the shaft (dunno what else to call it?) of it would be nearly touching the side of my nostril on one side. As well as that, it's titanium, I was reading somewhere that plastic would be more suitable.
    Has anybody experienced a tonsillectomy with a septum piercing? Or if possible, would anybody know where to get a short plastic retainer in a shop, preferably in Dublin? (I've no credit card, haha.)
    Thanks in advance
    Hey, I'm Tríona :3
    Current;
    -Septum
    -L: 3x Lobes
    -R: 3x Lobes
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    -Scaffold (requiring bravery!)
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

Every hospital/doctor is different etc, but if you're under general anaesthetic my doctors have all been adamant I take out all oral/nose jewellery. Just cause of emergencies and breathing tubes and whatnot. I've kept all my metal jewellery in otherwise, just had to cover stuff with tape so they didn't rip it out accident, lol.
    I assume they knock you out to remove your tonsils right? That'd be rather scary if they didn't...

Plastics better for xrays and stuff, but in most surgery it doesn't make any difference (unless they bash it).
    Take a retainer (piece of ptfe/bioplast and some o-rings perhaps? I've never been been to Ireland), and then ask the doctor and see what they say; but if they want it out, there wouldn't really be any way to get around it... I dunno how long the procedure takes, or how long you've had it pierced but you might find it lasts quite all right empty. I haven't lost any of mine yet, and they were out for a couple of hours at least (+time it took to get my coordination back, usual ramblings about biscuits)
    Complete with a green straightjacket with circuit boards stuck all over!

Current: 1" lobes, 4g conches, septum, 6g helix, daithy- helix, helix industrial, bridge, 8g both nostrils, one lonely nipple and both cheeks, vert labret an a sternum micro. Forearm branding, calf cutting and a split tongue.
    Retired: Nape, neck and chest micros, nipple, 4g tongue, eyebrow, snakebites. Several lobes, labrets and nostrils. Rook ):
    Next up: moar leg!

And no tattoos D:

tumblr

Go to Bodyshock in Dublin

Most facilities will tell you that as long as it is PTFE/Bioplast that they will allow it, however it’s the anesthesiologist that will nip it in the bud. There have been documented cases of nasal jewelry (including septum) becoming lodged in NG tubes, as well as ET tubes that are used in the OR, so most of them will not allow any nasal or oral jewelry.

When you are in the pre-op holding area, the anesthesiologist will usually come to see you and explain his/her part in the procedure. I would recommend speaking with him/her and explaining that you need the retained to help prevent the loss of the piercing and show him/her how it works. Maybe if they are aware that it is something that can be quickly removed if needed they will be more forgiving.

Good Luck!.
    Hi! I'm Casey

Have:
    Industrial, tragus x2, ear web x2, conch, bridge, nostril x2, high nostril x2, septum, tongue x2, lingual frenulum, labret, monroe x2, navel, nipples x2, vch, standard lobe piercings x15,

Retired:
    Bridge x2, vertical brow x3, horizontal brow, bottom navel, stomach surface, arm surface x2, hand web, hand surface, standard lobe x2.

Want:
    Deep Mandible, cheeks, lip x2, forward helix x2, bottom navel, horizontal brow x2, numerous MDA's, lots more tattoos.

I wore a retainer in my nostril during a GA - they just taped over it.
    Hiya - I'm Emma!

Piercings: lobes x 3, Tragus, Helix, Navel, Conch, Sternum Microdermals x 2, VCH, Central Labret, Forward Helix

Tattoos: Stars on inner forearm, Rat on inner ankle, Dotwork Star Mandala on shoulder & Lotus/Butterfly on hip

http://www.facebook.com/emmalsims

Quote Originally Posted by stasha-pistachio View Post
    Every hospital/doctor is different etc, but if you're under general anaesthetic my doctors have all been adamant I take out all oral/nose jewellery. Just cause of emergencies and breathing tubes and whatnot.
    Plastics better for xrays and stuff, but in most surgery it doesn't make any difference (unless they bash it).
    Take a retainer (piece of ptfe/bioplast and some o-rings perhaps? I've never been been to Ireland), and then ask the doctor and see what they say; but if they want it out, there wouldn't really be any way to get around it... I dunno how long the procedure takes, or how long you've had it pierced but you might find it lasts quite all right empty.
    They do knock you out for tonsils alright, I don't think I'd be able to do it awake! From what I can find out, it takes around an hour for the actual operation itself.
    Did you cover your septum with tape, or did you have it pierced at the time? I was considering that alright, it'd be fairly handy in that sense.
    Only worried about healing, I had a nostril piercing for about a year at one stage and as soon as I took out the stud it closed up quite quickly. Of course, my septum piercing is bigger than my nostril was... Might have an experiment with seeing how it heals at home for a while, I've had it since January and there'a always been something in it! But thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    Go to Bodyshock in Dublin
    I've never heard of Bodyshock before... Where is it? I haven't been pierced in Dublin, I've only gone to Snakebite and Wildcat for jewellery and that.

Quote Originally Posted by c82101 View Post
    When you are in the pre-op holding area, the anesthesiologist will usually come to see you and explain his/her part in the procedure. I would recommend speaking with him/her and explaining that you need the retained to help prevent the loss of the piercing and show him/her how it works. Maybe if they are aware that it is something that can be quickly removed if needed they will be more forgiving.
    Thank you, that's really good advice

Quote Originally Posted by Rattybabe View Post
    I wore a retainer in my nostril during a GA - they just taped over it.
    I suppose I'll see what they do... I'm sure they'll have dealt with it before at some point!

Thank you everyone for answering, sorry for the selective editing and the length :P
    Current;
    -Septum
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaBunny View Post
    I've never heard of Bodyshock before... Where is it? I haven't been pierced in Dublin, I've only gone to Snakebite and Wildcat for jewellery and that.
    7 Crow Street, off Temple Bar. It's the best in Dublin in my opinion, far superior to Snakebite! Paddy is the guy there, he'll sort you out.

Quote Originally Posted by watermelon View Post
    7 Crow Street, off Temple Bar. It's the best in Dublin in my opinion, far superior to Snakebite! Paddy is the guy there, he'll sort you out.
    Thanks a million, if I can find it I'll definitely check it out
    Current;
    -Septum
    Want;
    -Conch
    -Medusa/Labret
    -L & R Nipple
    Retired;
    -L Tragus
    -L Nostril

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaBunny View Post
    They do knock you out for tonsils alright, I don't think I'd be able to do it awake! From what I can find out, it takes around an hour for the actual operation itself.
    Did you cover your septum with tape, or did you have it pierced at the time? I was considering that alright, it'd be fairly handy in that sense.
    Only worried about healing, I had a nostril piercing for about a year at one stage and as soon as I took out the stud it closed up quite quickly. Of course, my septum piercing is bigger than my nostril was... Might have an experiment with seeing how it heals at home for a while, I've had it since January and there'a always been something in it! But thank you so much

I took my septum out, the surgery time itself was 45mins, but I've no clue at all how long I had the jewellery out for (no clocks!). It falls out in the night sometimes too, and its still all good in the morning My lip piercings were a bit tight, but they were fine too. Take it out for a few minutes or so, and slowly get it (and yourself) used to it, and increase the time gradually? I was so sketched about leaving my lobes empty, but now I never sleep with jewellery in.
    I didn't have my nostrils then, but they do close up really quickly. Even though they're stretched and healed. I didn't have my togue done either, thank god. That closes so so quickly :(
    Complete with a green straightjacket with circuit boards stuck all over!

Current: 1" lobes, 4g conches, septum, 6g helix, daithy- helix, helix industrial, bridge, 8g both nostrils, one lonely nipple and both cheeks, vert labret an a sternum micro. Forearm branding, calf cutting and a split tongue.
    Retired: Nape, neck and chest micros, nipple, 4g tongue, eyebrow, snakebites. Several lobes, labrets and nostrils. Rook ):
    Next up: moar leg!

And no tattoos D:

tumblr