Question Nose piercing - lump on inside.

I have had my nose pierced (nostril) for about a month now (I got it done on the 7th of July). Originally the piercing was doing alright, but in the first week swelling had started to cause the ball on the nostril stud to start disappearing into my nose, so I had it removed and replaced with a surgical steel nose ring instead.

It's been generally okay, however there has been a lump present on the inside of the piercing (right where the ring comes through the nose) for a good while now, and this morning after waking up - I think I've been lying on it - it seems to be much larger than I remember it being (it's curving round with the ring a little bit). There's also a tiny fleshy lump on the outside of the piercing, which has been here before about a week ago but it disappeared, and now it's back.

I do blame the fact that I was sleeping on it so last night it must have gotten quite irritated causing the inflamation, so I'm confident that the bump on the outside will go away in a few days.

My main concern is the lump on the inside, which doesn't seem to get smaller whatever I do (I clean it twice daily with solution). It's not hot to touch, but it feels very hard and there seems to be white/ clear puss excreting from the inside. I'm not sure whether this is infact lymph or not; I do get clear crusty lymph on the outside of the piercing wich just comes away very easily, so it's possible that's what it is?

I'm just worried about the fact te hard lump is still not disappearing, I think I'm going to start doing some luke warm compresses with my sea salt solution; does anyone have any advice for doing this? Thankyou.
    Listening to: Rob Zombie

Current:
    1x 2.4mm lobe, 1x 2.0mm 2x 1.6mm lobe, 1.6mm naval, 1.2mm nostril.
    Retired:
    1.2mm pinna
    Wishlist:
    pinna/auricle, conch, labret, septum, ankh & ivy tattoos.

Nostril piercings do get bumps... And they don't necessarily go away quickly, even with the best of care.

First of all I would change the jewellery to titanium just to make sure the irritation isn't being caused by the steel. And while your at it get a stud of some sort (labret or nostril screw, not a regular ear stud, a largeish one so it doesn't sink again) rather than a ring as the ring will cause even more irritation as they jiggle around more. You don't want movement in your jewellery except for room to allow for swelling which should be relatively minor since it is a month old. The bumps on nostril piercings tend to be caused by irritation rather than infection, which is sounds most likely in your case.

I have never used compresses but I am sure someone will come along shortly and give you advice on that.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Agree with the above, what you need putting in is a sterile titanium nose screw, 3mm flat disc will help with any sinking problems. A ring will simply cause more problems for you. The ring is what is keeping the bump there too.

The 'pus' you mention is lymph, clear/white/off white and it's part of the healing process. Pus will be yellow/green/brown sticky and smell bad.

When you say you clean it with salt solution are you wiping the area or are you actually soaking it? Make sure it's only 250ml water to 1/4tsp of sea salt and that you rinse off afterwards.

Compresses are okay but a soak will be the best option, your other option after getting appropriate jewellery in there is leaving it alone. I think I soaked my nose twice when it was new and left it. 5 months down the line I've never had any real issues with it at all.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Thanks guys; I was under the impression that surgical steel was better for healing piercings than titanium? Honestly, I have no idea how to soak my nostril piercing - at least from the inside, so I'll admit that I have just been cleansing the outside of it. What would you suggest?

Also, by changing to a stud I'm slightly worried that the swelling won't allow me to put a straight stud in right now because of how it's enveloped the ring on the inside. Will this pose a problem, or should I perhaps switch to a curved barbell as an alternative?

Current:
    Retired:
    1.2mm pinna
    Wishlist:

Go to a professional piercer about jewellery. Surgical steel (i think?) will still have some amount of nickel which people can be sensitive too. Titanium seems to be the most body friendly metal.

Soaking wise, literally dunk your whole nose is salt water (1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 250ml (1 cup) water, boiled then cooled) for about 5 mins. Breathe through your mouth.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

Okay, thankyou. I've been to my piercer and they put in a bioplast bar, since the swelling has curved. I'm a little worried that the little post on the inside of the bar is very small - not much bigger than the diameter of the bar at all.

It's quite loose fitting, but definately nowhere near as much movement as with the steel ring. I'm going to continue with the SSS twice daily and hopefully that along with the bioplast bar will make a vast improvement.

Current:
    Retired:
    1.2mm pinna
    Wishlist: