Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default McDonald's and facial piercings

Hi

I've recently applied for a job in McDonald's and although I haven't had an email from them yet, I've always been the type to think ahead. I like to be prepared! Anyway, has anyone worked for them with a facial piercing, if so, what was required of you? Were you asked to take it out or were retainers OK, etc?

I have a labret and I'm nowhere near ready to give it up just yet, because I still love it over two years on. I never take my jewellery out, except to clean it once in a while, so I don't know how long it would stay open before closing, or does that depend on the individual?

Last question, promise! But I bought a retainer last year which I didn't get on with at all. It was just a bioplast one with an o-ring and I lost it after about 3 days. Which retainers work best? I was thinking a bioplast one with a push on disc, or maybe a traditional style labret bar, but in bioplast?

Any replies/experiences are very welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Labret piercing - 16/04/09

I'm fairly sure they have a no piercings policy, so even with a good retainer you might not be able to get away with it. In my experience the clear end bioplast labrets are best;the flesh colored ends are a bit too pink for my skin tone, but obviously that varies. It's a lot more discreet if you just wear the labret stem, but then there's a higher risk of it getting pulled out etc.

It depends on the individual how long it stays open as well, generally oral piercings close very quickly. Your best bet is to take the jewellery out for say ten minutes to begin with, and then build on that time to see how long it'd stay open for .
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

I have struggled a lot with labret retainers. Very fiddly and difficult to change back, had to get it tapered back to size to get my proper jewellery in. My casual job's policy is to cover visible piercings, so I just have to put a bandaid over it. In terms of McDonald's being food service, even if you could do that it would have to be a bright one.
    I'm Amelia
    My piercer

L & R 4mm lobe | L & R 2nd & 3rd lobe | L double helix | L inner conch | L rook | R helix | R forward helix | R tragus (re-pierced) | R outer conch
    L nostril | Septum | Madonna | L (Devil) & R (Angel) nipple | Nape dermal x2 (vertical) | Cleavage dermal | Navel (re-pierced #2) | VCH

Failed: Navel (rejected x2) | R tragus (migrated) | L collar bone dermal (rejected)
    Wish list: R double inner conch | Tongue

Facebook

They don't let you have piercings unless you cover them with a bright blue plaster. I worked there and wore plastic retainers in my lip piercing, but then ended up swallowing them or losing them. I ended up wearing the bar without the ball on and they didn't really notice, but they did force me there and then too take the ring out of my helix piercing. Apparently it was a health hazard if it fell into someone's food, despite me having to use pliers to get the ball out :/
    Current Piercings: tragus, rook, daith, conch, lobes x 2, VCH, right nipple

Previous Piercings : nose x 2, lip x 2, tounge, helix, left nipple, smiley, 3 x chest md's, anti-tragus, high HCH

Want: lots more holes in my ears!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephs View Post
    Hi

I've recently applied for a job in McDonald's and although I haven't had an email from them yet, I've always been the type to think ahead. I like to be prepared! Anyway, has anyone worked for them with a facial piercing, if so, what was required of you? Were you asked to take it out or were retainers OK, etc?

I have a labret and I'm nowhere near ready to give it up just yet, because I still love it over two years on. I never take my jewellery out, except to clean it once in a while, so I don't know how long it would stay open before closing, or does that depend on the individual?

Last question, promise! But I bought a retainer last year which I didn't get on with at all. It was just a bioplast one with an o-ring and I lost it after about 3 days. Which retainers work best? I was thinking a bioplast one with a push on disc, or maybe a traditional style labret bar, but in bioplast?

Any replies/experiences are very welcome.

Thanks in advance
    Hi! I worked at McDonald's for 4 1/2 years and it happens that I have experience with facial piercings and McDonald's. I'm going to let you know that rules at McDonald's are VERY dependent upon managers. Technically speaking, NO, you cannot wear facial piercings and no more than one earring per ear for girls, and none for guys (so sexist) but moving on...

I used to wear 6 piercings in one ear, all standard lobe/helix piercings and depending on who I worked with, they might say something, but rarely anybody did. I would also just come in the next day with them all in (not because I was trying to be an ass, but because I was afraid they'd close). I also got a labret piercing (which is now retired) and wore it while I worked there. I wore the tiniest gem so it was hard to see from faraway. I think I was only asked twice to remove it, once when a higher up came in, and one time my manager let me run home and get my retainer and I was able to wear that.

Honestly, starting out at a job like that I think you have to evaluate which you need more, your piercing or a job. I'm sure I probably just got away with half of that shit because I'd been there for so long, and managers tended to like me and look passed the tiny gem I did wear. Needless to say, I got hired in at a new job and I tried the "taking it out, and putting it back in after work" thing - but it just became too much of a hassle. Many times it WOULD start to close up, and that would be a BITCH to get back in. I eventually got tired of it and realized for me it wasn't something that was worth it, so I took it out.

So to get to the point, I personally think you should at least remove the piercing if you get an interview, and ask your hiring manager if it would be appropriate if you wore a retainer in your piercing. Some managers will be fine, some will say no. If that manager says you can then that's great, because if someone else told you to take it out you could tell them "___ said I could wear it." Good luck on your job!

Thank you all for replies!

When I was at sixth form, there was a no facial piercings policy and if I had a funny teacher, I'd just take the ball off and leave in the bar, as mentioned. That worked most of the time, but I sort of had to keep my mouth shut. Obviously that wouldn't work, what with taking orders, etc.

If I get a success email, I'll order something then. What would you all recommend? I woudn't go with the o-ring style again, so how are the disc ones, if anyone's tried them? Obviously the more secure/discreet, the better.

Or this one? http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/onl...r_11290437.cfm

Cheers again
    Last edited by Sephs; 07-03-2011 at 03:20 AM.

^ I used that one linked above when I first started my new job. I got it as small as possible to fit my lip. I got away with it. Im rather short though, so my lip probably hid it from above - not many people look at me straight on haha. But yeah, I liked it better than others ive tried.
    The gratuitous mod list: 4 x lobe (16g), 2x lobe (2g - goal size reached), 2x nipple, 3x navel, labret, 2x tragus, left nostril, tongue. No tattoos yet!

I work at McDonald's and I have a septum piercing as well as nine various ear piercings, and stretched lobes which I tend to wear large hangies in.

I've been told off once.

For my hair colour.

However, it's very dependent on the management/ownership of your store. The closest store to us is company owned and VERY strict. I would not be able to get a job there, even if I were to flip my septum up and wear solid plugs. Our McDonald's is privately owned and there are quite a few modified people working here at any given time.
    And the Little Glass Vial goes into the gun like a battery.

2x 6g lobes
    2x 16g lobes
    14g helix scaffold
    12g septum
    16g tragus x2
    6g conch
    2x 12g diagonal nipples

Me again! Thanks again for all the replies.

I'm happy to say I've been offered an interview and an OJE for Thursday evening, so I was right to put the research in! I'm not sure whether I should take my bar out for the interview and then if I'm successful, a retainer for my first day (which is what a friend advised), or to wear a retainer for the interview and see if it's brought up?

Also, I dug out my aftercare leaflet and my jewellery size is 1.2 x 7, but the retainer I posted above is only 8 or 6. Which am I best going for? Of course I want it to be as discreet as possible. I do have a bit of room with my current 1.2 x 7.

Thanks in advance for any replies, you're all so helpful

I worked in waitrose which is the strictest of strict and never got even asked about my medusa with a clear pushfit labret in. And it's more noticeable in a medusa than a labret! I'd say do what your friend says, none for the interview then retainer for shifts. If they say anything say youll take it out, but after 2 years, i'm sure it wouldnt heal in a shift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast