Default Tongue piercing still has swelling after a month

So, you may have seen my thread/posts before about my tongue piercing 'disappearing' inside my tongue and popping back out. Well, I changed back to the bigger bar and this stopped. But now it's a month is (near enough) and there is still some swelling/a bump around the piercing.

I'm wondering if, because of the popping up and down problem, that it has caused the tongue to heal like this, with the bump there as the fistula formed around the bump area? (I hope this makes sense, or if not, you can decypher it and get what I'm on about).

I shall try upload a picture ASAP to show you what I'm on about. In the mean time, any ideas/suggestions will be greatly received. I understand that there is probably little you can do without seeing it first, but yea.
    -Gary

Piercings: Two lower lip labrets (central), tongue
    Tattoos: Rammstein logo w/ flames (Right shoulder), Disturbed Guy (Left underside forearm), XIII (Left wrist), DCLXVI (Right wrist), Artistic Combichrist logo (right calf)

Sorry I dont have any idea whether your bump will eventually go, but just posting to say the disappering thing happened to me too! And to warn others not to have their bars changed too early.

I had tongue pierced 8 days ago. The woman who did it said go back after 7 days and change long bar for a shorter one. I did this, and I came out feeling like it was really tight, but she assured me it would be OK.

Felt fine yesterday afternoon, but last night I noticed the top ball was burying itself into my tongue - and by midnight I was bricking it as I couldn't really see it anymore! Visions of A&E today!

But this morning I've been to a different place (didn't trust the people too much who did it originally!), who were shocked to hear I had it changed after only 7 days (they recommend 14), especially as my tongue is still swollen. Anyway, they were absolutely brilliant and managed to get it out (very painful!) - and now I'm sooo relieved! It was literally in the middle of my tongue, and they had to clamp it and really go some to get it out.

Quite reassuring to know I'm not the only person who's had this happen to them.

I've now had a larger bar put back in, and a PTFE one. The swelling is slowly going down. Only problem I'm having now is the scar tissue around the bump caused by the ball going in and out of the tongue. Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to that?
    -Gary

Tattoos: Rammstein logo w/ flames (Right shoulder), Disturbed Guy (Left underside forearm), XIII (Left wrist), DCLXVI (Right wrist), Artistic Combichrist logo (right calf)

Quote Originally Posted by snooze View Post
    Sorry I dont have any idea whether your bump will eventually go, but just posting to say the disappering thing happened to me too! And to warn others not to have their bars changed too early.

I had tongue pierced 8 days ago. The woman who did it said go back after 7 days and change long bar for a shorter one. I did this, and I came out feeling like it was really tight, but she assured me it would be OK.

Felt fine yesterday afternoon, but last night I noticed the top ball was burying itself into my tongue - and by midnight I was bricking it as I couldn't really see it anymore! Visions of A&E today!

But this morning I've been to a different place (didn't trust the people too much who did it originally!), who were shocked to hear I had it changed after only 7 days (they recommend 14), especially as my tongue is still swollen. Anyway, they were absolutely brilliant and managed to get it out (very painful!) - and now I'm sooo relieved! It was literally in the middle of my tongue, and they had to clamp it and really go some to get it out.

Hello! I think you were the lovely lady whose tongue bar I had to 'rescue' a few days ago (Marks and Punctures, Aylesbury) Great to see it hasn't put you off piercings after all and I hope it is doing ok!

Gary: A photo would be really helpful as its pretty hard to advise on scar tissue without one, If you are still swollen you need to treat it not just wait for it to go away. Arnica herbal supplements, Ibuprofen and icy drinks are all awesome at helping to reduce swelling. I would leave this longer bar in for two weeks at least, allow the piercing time to do its thing and when you change don't go for surgical steel just in case you are having an allergic reaction of some kind also.
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

I shall get a photo sorted tomorrow then and upload it.

I'm leaving this flexy bar in until the swelling is gone completely. I'm too scared to take it out in case I can't get it back in (threading it/cross threading is worrying me, probably shouldn't worry though).

I don't think it's an allergic reaction, as I have two lip piercings as well.
    -Gary

Some people find they are fine with certain metals in one part of their body but not in others, since you've had so much trouble it would be really worth sticking to PTFE or titanium just to begin with imo!

As for threading the ball, try using a pair of latex gloves you can get a good grip on everything then so will get the ball on nice and tight without cross-threading! Plus you can always check if something is cross threaded as the ball will look like its sitting at an angle or you will still be able to see the thread on the bar!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.