Senior Member MshadowsMakesMeDrool's Avatar

Red face Nipple piercing swelling?

So i got both of my nipples pierced on the 14th of this month (YAY ) and found the initial piercing almost painfree. I kept the plasters on overnight and took them off the next morning to clean them but noticed my left nipple was really swollen and had zero space on the bar whereas the right had plenty of space (i end up getting a rash from the plasters which went away a couple of days after taking the plasters off)... I've been cleaning them twice a day with sea salt soaks and while in the shower i've been cleaning them. The left one is still really swollen i know it's only been just over a week but the right seems to be completely fine with a little pain and the lefts swelling has went down a tiny bit just enough so i can see a tiny bit of the stem of the bar and it's alot more painful than the right.

So my question is how much bar should i be able to see? do you think i should have a bigger bar put in the left one?
    What's the best way to clean them? (i've been soaking them for five minutes each in sea salt solution twice a day, and cleaning them in the shower), would you recommend trying something else?
    and finally when i look at my right nipple piercing when it's not hard theres still about 1mm space on the bar, but the piercer said he was going to put longer bars in incase of swelling so i'm just wondering when i should go back and get them shortened or if i should even get them shortened? as when my right nipple left nipple isn't hard i can't see any bar and only 1mm space with the right.

Thanks for any help
    Last edited by MshadowsMakesMeDrool; 05-22-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Hi I'm Laura

Current piercings : Lobes x2 on both, Helix, Left nostril, Right nostril, Septum, Navel, reverse navel, Labret, Bridge, snakebites, tongue venoms, both nipples! .
    Wanting : Microdermals in various places and Cheeks.
    Tattoos : None yet

Mine went down after about a month and a half, once they'd got used to the way I sleep/the bras I wear. I've only just recently had the bars downsized, and they're 5 months old. When they were swollen I could only see a mm each side if that. Mine were also sore for about 2 weeks.

I cleaned mine with SSS and camomile for a couple of weeks, then left them alone, rinsing crusties in the shower, and I've had absolutely no problems.

Regarding the sizing of the bars, my right bar is 2 mm bigger than the left, as my piercer said it was a good fit, with about a mm or so space. I wouldn't get them changed so early though unless they're causing a problem.

That said, if YOU think the bar is too tight then best to visit your piercer to see if they can change it.
    Last edited by SarahSarah; 05-22-2011 at 04:52 PM.
    I have.......
    Tongue, Nostril, Horizontal Nipples,
    In each ear......Daith, Lobe, Tragus, Anti tragus, Rook
    Retired Piercing: Labret

Feel free to add me on failbook.

Senior Member MshadowsMakesMeDrool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SarahSarah View Post
    Mine went down after about a month and a half, once they'd got used to the way I sleep/the bras I wear. I've only just recently had the bars downsized, and they're 5 months old. When they were swollen I could only see a mm each side if that. Mine were also sore for about 2 weeks.

I cleaned mine with SSS and camomile for a couple of weeks, then left them alone, rinsing crusties in the shower, and I've had absolutely no problems.

Regarding the sizing of the bars, my right bar is 2 mm bigger than the left, as my piercer said it was a good fit, with about a mm or so space. I wouldn't get them changed so early though unless they're causing a problem.

That said, if YOU think the bar is too tight then best to visit your piercer to see if they can change it.
    Sorry i couldn't reply sooner but it's exactly as you said the pain has completely gone, they aren't that tender anymore and the left one still remains to have less bar on it but it's not indenting or anything so i think i'll leave them until they're healed and just continue taking care of them as i am and hopefully the swelling goes down even more

Thanks alot
    Hi I'm Laura

Current piercings : Lobes x2 on both, Helix, Left nostril, Right nostril, Septum, Navel, reverse navel, Labret, Bridge, snakebites, tongue venoms, both nipples! .
    Wanting : Microdermals in various places and Cheeks.
    Tattoos : None yet