Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Ear Piercing On Warfarin?

Hey guys, I'm not sure how many of you know what Warfarin (or Americans may know it as Coumadin) is but I'm hoping a few on the forum do and that there are some who maybe take it.

I also wanted piercings and tattoos but I took quite severe blood clots when I was seventeen meaning due to the position of the clots I have to take Warfarin for life, I've had my rebellious streaks where I got fed up having to take it and I paid the prices quite heavily for it.

I spoke to a doctor a long time ago who said it would be ok for me to reduce my dosage and have a small tattoo, but most other doctors I speak to are dead set against the idea of piercings or tattoos.

I spoke to a tattooist today who said he'd be willing to both pierce my ear lobe and tattoo me while on Warfarin if the doctor said it was ok.
    I'm hoping to have my ear pierced and once it's healed stretch it to 3mm and see how it goes from there and if I feel I like it then have the other side done too.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has heard of it done, had it done or knows a little about it. My INR range is 2.5-3.5 and I really hope I can.

Thanks guys.

I know what it is and I know what it does... Basically it is being used to thin your blood right?
    this would cause any wound you receive to bleed like a - well bleed big time.

This is probably one for the professionals to answer but provided your tattooist / piercer is informed from the start they can make an informed decision as to what they can/can't do.

Someone will be along shortly I am sure who will be able to give you a more accurate answer.
    Last edited by Diva; 03-02-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: incomplete post

That's exactly what it is, It thins the blood to stop it from clotting within the veins or arteries.
    The only issue is that when you cut yourself you find you bleed a lot longer than a normal person would as your clotting factors been affected, I really only want to get my two lobes pierced though and I was thinking because there are no major vessels that if it did bleed it wouldn't be severe.

As an ex nurse, I would strongly advise against this. The only person you can get advise on this is from your Docter. Most piercers have paperwork to sign to say you take responsibility for your health, and most concent forms ask what medical conditions and medication you are on. a good piercer wouldn't go near you with a needle, and if they do, you should think about the long term effects. Warfarin is doing a job to stop you clotting for a reason. Any wound, be it a cut, graze or piercing would cause you problems and potentially put you in a life threatening position. I'm sorry honey, but I think you may have to abstain from the piercing world ((((hugs))))
    Hi I'm Jayne
    L and R lobes x2, L&R low auricles, L&R conches,L&R tragus, L nostril, central tongue, standard navel

Thanks for your quick reply, When I spoke to the owner of the shop he said he's previously tattoed persons on warfarin but not pierced. I always assumed tattos would be more severe due to the healing time etc.
    He was saying that if I chose to have it done, I would sign a form etc and he would speak to me regarding it. I'm going to speak with the doctor tomorrow but I thought it would be possible to have it done because I know that to have dental work etc you never actually come off warfarin they just lower your INR to a level where the blood clots slightly faster, and when I had surgery on my foot they didn't take me off it completely, they just lowered my dosage and literally turned me upside down on the theatre table to let the blood drain out my foot :P
    I can only see what the doctor says, but hopefully I can have it done.

Tattoos generally bleed a lot less than piercings, and often have a shorter healing time.

Ask your doctor - if he/she says no, then don't risk it. I also question how good the piercer is if he's willing to pierce you on Warfarin if he's never even done it before.
    these make me cool rite guys??

2 central labrets, philtrum, 2 temple microdermals, 14mm lobes, 4mm upper lobe (right)

retired: 2 temple surface piercings

This could cause problems for you. A tattoo would be initially harder - the tattooist would need to make sure to keep it blood free whilst tattooing, but as the needle only goes a fraction of an inch into the skin it doesn't cause as much of a problem as piercing. A tattoo shouldn't take longer than 7-10 days to heal if looked after properly (maximum of 14 days imo). Whereas a piercing (depending on where it is can take up to 18 months/2 years to heal properly). If your doctor is happy and your tattooist is willing I would try a VERY small tattoo to start with. See how that goes. But I don't see how piercing would be safe tbh :(
    There is no coming to consciousness without pain.
    Carl Jung

L ear: 1x18mm 4x14g lobes, 1x14g helix & 14g scaffold
    R ear: 1x18mm, 3x14g lobes, 1x14g helix, 16g helix, 16g forward helix & 16g tragus
    14g Double nostrils, 14g Cyberbites, Monroe, Madonna
    16g Left Eyebrow, 14g spiderbites
    Ink: 9 tattoos
    Retired piercings: septum & bridge, right double eyebrow
    Want:
    Rook! Daith? Lots more ink!
    Facebook

OK first of all I think it's a risky one, and has to be done in consultation with your doctor and piercer - but ultimately the choice and responsibility lie with you.

I just got my earlobes pierced recently and although they didn't bleed at all, they did get very hot which means there's a sudden rush of blood to the area as the body reacts to the initial wounding. A cold compress applied immediately after the piercing should reduce this though.
    So I think if you are going to get pierced you should stay in the studio until your ears have settled/cooled down again, so the piercer can deal with any bleeding and make sure you're ok before you leave - and also call for help if things get serious.

By the way, I have no medical training apart from first aid and common sense but I wish you all the best.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post

I just got my earlobes pierced recently and although they didn't bleed at all, they did get very hot which means there's a sudden rush of blood to the area as the body reacts to the initial wounding. A cold compress applied immediately after the piercing should reduce this though.

By the way, I have no medical training apart from first aid and common sense but I wish you all the best.
    Hehe I'm the same. I've got basic first aid training but my main worry was that even if someone pings your ear blood rushes to it!

However I'm just back from speaking with my doctor and she said that she doesn't have a problem with it due to my INR currently being lower than normal, and the ear lobe not being a site for major bleeding.. However she warned me it was mainly due to the healing taking a little longer than a normal persons.

I then got home and phoned round a couple of piercing studios and spoke to some managers, they all have no issue with piercing me while on warfarin as they have had previous customers like it, they just warned me off any areas that are full of vessels.
    I spoke to a woman in a place called the Glasgow Body Piercing Studio and she was really nice she said that she would use a needle on my ear which would reduce the chance of infection, as the piercing gun was slightly more at risk and that she would use a smaller needle and a slightly large piercing which should create a vacumn? She offered me a choice between 1.6mm and 2.4mm so I'm going to go speak to her tomorrow after college as she was really decent with me about it.

Wish me luck
    Bbm : 2329B674 |Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by CK88 View Post
    I spoke to a woman in a place called the Glasgow Body Piercing Studio and she was really nice she said that she would use a needle on my ear which would reduce the chance of infection, as the piercing gun was slightly more at risk...
    I'm concerned...guns are basically evil and should never ever be used for any piercing ever. I hope by saying she is choosing a needle over a gun that doesn't mean they even use them or offer them as an option? If so I'd find another piercer. Info on guns here: http://bodypoetry.co.uk/gun.aspx

I hope it all goes well for you!
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, nostril, septum, 2 wrist MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast