Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bump on tragus - hypertrophic or keloid

Yes it's the dreaded bump :/
    I've had my tragus pierced since december and I've noticed that a fleshy, red/purple bump has appeared and I don't know if it's a keloid or just hypertrophic scarring. It doesn't hurt or bleed, it's just fugly.
    I've tried hot sea salt soaks, tea tree oil, vitamin E oil and i've just resorted to putting crushed ibuprofen on it. It's driving me crazy arrrrrghhhh
    HELP!!!!!!!!
    Have:Tragus, 4x lobe, nostril

retired: surface - collar bone

Wants: nipple, navel, rook, forward helix,
    lobe mods (6 mm)

Maybe: tongue, snug

Wish I could help...I'd love some advice on this one too. I've developed the same thing on my helix....and nothing is working! Mine has been pierced since October.

Okay, how old is the piercing?
    Was it done with a needle by a professional?
    What type and material of jewellery is in there?
    Do you sleep on it?
    Can you post a pic (upload to tinypic and miss the www off the link and post here).
    Have you suffered from keloids in the past?
    How are you soaking it and what concentration of sea salt solution are you using?
    How often are you soaking and how long have you tried that for?

Remember this piercing can take 12-18months to heal fully, hypertrophic scarring is VERY common for this piercing and it can take weeks/months of babying to calm it down. A keloid is rare and will grow and grow and can only be treated/removed by a medical professional. hypertrophic scarring is caused by irritation, this can be from playing with a piercing, sleeping on it, having poor fitting jewellery, jewellery that is moving around too much (too long a bar or a BCR), jewellery that has nickel in it, too much salt in sea salt soaks, using something too harsh like tea tree if it's not healed or sometimes they simply just happen and have to be babied away or some even just use LITHA (Leave It The Hell Alone) method.

Stop with the tea tree oil unless it's a very very well healed piercing, crushed ibuprofen will do nothing to it (assume you're thinking of asprin paste but again don't do this either as it will simply burn and irritate the skin).
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

can't post photos yet :/
    i56 (dot) tinypic (dot) com (slash) 105psad.jpg
    sorry it's a bad pic
    Right...
    It's been pierced for about 10 weeks
    I had it done at salamanders in derby with a needle. I think they use nickel instead of titanium which may be one of the reasons it looks like that
    I do sometimes sleep on it
    I haven't had any problems with my nostril piercing but that was done at Abacus
    To soak it I just dip cotton wool pads in hot saline solution (1/4 tsp salt to 100 ml boiling water) and hold it on there for an few minutes
    I've been doing that every day for about 2-3 weeks
    thanks for the info btw

lobe mods (6 mm)

They definitely shouldn't be using steel (which contains nickel), as it would go against the EU Nickel Directive. It's probably never really enforced, but it's illegal and shows they don't care too much about following regulations or the health of their clients...

It does look sore. Your soaks may be too strong - it's usually recommended to do 1/4 tsp salt to about 250ml of water. Make sure they're not too hot, and be very careful not to have any dry fibres sticking off the cotton pad that could get caught in the piercing. I've always used cotton pads and never had a problem, I just make sure they're totally soaked. However, it might be worth switching to proper soaks (put full glass of solution on desk/arm of chair, rest your ear in it) for a while. It's also worth considering chamomile teabag compresses.

Finally, see if you can locate a better piercer somewhere, and get them to check the jewellery out and perhaps change it if they think it's low quality. It looks like it could be a tiiiny bit tight, but perhaps just the angle of the picture?

Thankyou
    I'll give it all a go and talk to my piercer about it aswell
    The stud isn't as tight as it looks.. there is a bit of room at the back. Don't want to change it just yet as it might make it worse
    thanks again x

lobe mods (6 mm)

To be honest I'd go to a different piercer and if you're going to get it changed go to a good piercer who will put in a sterile titanium labret for you with the minimum of irritation to the piercing as it's possibly the jewellery itself that's causing the problem.
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

Welcome to my world! lol. I have had these problems with my tragus on and off too, at the moment it's behaving itself, *touches wood*. Anyways, what i do with mine when it flares up, as advised by people on here, is to soak it in a wine glass filled with SSS and cammomile tea, for about 5 minutes or so. I would do this just once a day until it calms down a bit and then just leave it alone.

Don't try all different things on it as this will just irritate it more. I learnt that lesson when I had my belly button pierced, I got so frustrated with it and tried all different things and eventually I just left it alone and it healed.

ETA - forgot to add try not to sleep on it either as the pressure from your head will probably cause it to flare up too.
    Last edited by iluvstaffies; 02-23-2011 at 07:42 AM.

hey guys - i was wondering if you could help me, i have a nape piercing w/ 2 keloids on it after catching it.
    I've tried tea tree oil & sea salt soaks for a good 4 weeks.
    I decided to try manuka honey, a natural antisceptic. Have you ever heard of this working?? Is there any other treatment that you know has worked for subborn keloids??
    thanks!! xx
    Piercings
    • Diath
    • Conch
    • 2nd Lobes
    • 14mm Plug
    • Rook
    • Helix
    • Lobe
    • Nostril x2
    • Labret
    • Nape
    • Navel
    • Microdermal

Retired: Septum. Veritcal Surface Tragus

Tattoos: 3

If you actually have keloids - which you almost certainly don't - I'm pretty sure surgical removal is the only option. Can you post a picture of your nape? I'm guessing that you have some hypertrophic scarring due to irritating it when you caught it, which is being irritated more by the tea tree so not getting better.

Don't put honey on it.
    Current: Lip ring, 1st set of lobes @ 6mm, second set of lobes at 2.4mm, left daith, inner labia x 2, navel, right conch, properly done VCH yay!

Retired: Horribly botched VCH.

Future: Left double helix, left tragus, right forward helix. Nipples if I'm brave enough!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast