Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drinking beer/alcohol after tongue piercing

I'm thinking about getting my tongue pierced at the beginning of next semester (so probably next week), but I was just wondering how drinking alcohol (beer for me, if that makes any difference) can affect the new piercing. I know using alcohol as disinfectant can prolong healing and irritate the piercing, so I was just wondering.
    hello, i'm lucas
    i'm 18
    i have my lip pierced & a tattoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Maark View Post
    l2facepalm much?

Senior Member MshadowsMakesMeDrool's Avatar

I'm not sure exactly but i have venoms, one of which was pierced on tuesday.. and i drank a hell of alot of alcohol beer included last night for new years and it got really sore and swollen. Never make that mistake again... woke up this morning with it also very sore but after a couple of ibuprofen and a sea salt rinse it seems to be getting back to the way it was before all the drinking.

So i don't think it's really effected my piercing other than made it angry last night. (May be too early to say mind you).
    Last edited by MshadowsMakesMeDrool; 01-01-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Hi I'm Laura

Current piercings : Lobes x2 on both, Helix, Left nostril, Right nostril, Septum, Navel, reverse navel, Labret, Bridge, snakebites, tongue venoms, both nipples! .
    Wanting : Microdermals in various places and Cheeks.
    Tattoos : None yet

You should avoid drinking for 1-2 weeks, really. If you're desperate then have a drink of water in between drinks. Alcohol will irritate the piercing and may also increase swelling if you get dehydrated. Same as other oral piercings really, you should also stay away from alcoholic drinks during the first couple of weeks of having a lip/cheek piercing, ideally.

Senior Member MshadowsMakesMeDrool's Avatar

That explains my swelling ^
    Hi I'm Laura

Current piercings : Lobes x2 on both, Helix, Left nostril, Right nostril, Septum, Navel, reverse navel, Labret, Bridge, snakebites, tongue venoms, both nipples! .
    Wanting : Microdermals in various places and Cheeks.
    Tattoos : None yet

I was given a list of things to not while my spiderbites were in the process of healing. I was told no hard alcohol for the first few days but that beer was fine. You might want to contact a professional piercer, however, to confirm that as I'm just going by memory. I don't have the paper handy.

It's not recommended. I drank about a week after having mine done, and although there was no pain or anything, didn't even drink that much and rarely throw up on alcohol but I did that night.
    8mm lobes
    2x lobe + helix in left ear
    lobe, helix, conch and scaffold in right ear
    nose, tongue, and navel
    Cleavage microdermal (rip!)

Tattoos all planned out for when I have money!

http://www.last.fm/user/nadiah_x

I went for a beer about ten minutes after getting my tongue pierced
    With tongues and alcohol there are 2 concerns:
    1 - bleeding. Alcohol thins your blood, makes it less able to clot so you might start bleeding if the piercing is fresh.
    2 - swelling. tbh this is more to do with the dehydration that boozing causes, but it can make your tongue swell up at any time.
    what's a few seconds of pain for a lifetime of shiny?

Both lobes 1/2", 5mm, 1.6mm
    Left rook & 5mm helix punch
    Right helix x2 & forward helix
    VCH, 5mm tongue

Quote Originally Posted by kitebunny View Post
    I went for a beer about ten minutes after getting my tongue pierced
    With tongues and alcohol there are 2 concerns:
    1 - bleeding. Alcohol thins your blood, makes it less able to clot so you might start bleeding if the piercing is fresh.
    2 - swelling. tbh this is more to do with the dehydration that boozing causes, but it can make your tongue swell up at any time.
    Also alcohol will strip the piercing the 'good' bacteria the wound needs to heal with and will damage the delicate healing tissue as its so chemically strong - which is why alcoholic mouthwash is not a recommended cleaning material

Surely it won't kill you not to drink for 2 weeks
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

BAD! but if you have to drink and can face using a straw, then that'd probably be better. Obviously alcohol touching the piercing isn't the only issue, but it might make it not quite so bad. Or just try to get it done at a time when no drinking won't be too difficult?
    That's my problem :/ i could've got it done, but that was only a few days before new year's eve so i decided against, and now i have no money. Oh well, i don't mind the wait that much
    Last edited by Embert; 01-04-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    Hello(: Bits that've been poked: lobes x4, helix x4, forward helix, septum, left nostril, left nipple, standard navel and my tongue.My septum piercing's stretched to 10mm, it's like my baby :')

i heard it dries it out n it can get infected if u drink any kind of alcohol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast