Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Question Shattered cartilage?

What is it? Whats it look like? Is it noticible?
    Im wanting to get my cartilage pierced saturday and if i do it will be with a gun, i know i know your not suposed and all that but its either that or not at all. All ive read about is that it can shatter your cartilage, but ive never seen a picture or any of my friends that have had it done had theirs shatter. And if that does happen does it go away on its own? would i need surgery to fix it or what?

Hun, don't get your cartliage pierced with a gun! Please please don't, it's not worth it. You need to get it done by a proper professional piercer with a needle.
    Current: 4 Lobes (10mm & 2.4mm), Tongue Web, Navel, Right & Left Nostril, VCH (2mm), Right Rook, Septum (3.2mm), Triangle (2.4mm), Left Tragus

RIP: 2 Sternum Microdermals, Horizontal Nipples, Right Conch

Tattoos: Falling Leaves on inner right wrist (AFI), Song Lyrics on right ribs (AFI)

I'm Helen

Needle.
    Your ear will thank you afterwards.
    Hi, 'm Velts. Fear not, I'll only bite on mutual consent & in a very specific setting.
    Stretched, poked, scalpelled, hooked and pierced.

Founding member of Flying Pigs Suspension

42mm+ lobes
    10mm center labret
    10mm nasal septum
    2.4mm Frenum
    1.2mm double nostrils
    1.2mm vertical nip-nips
    Quite a few tattoos, mostly blackwork. 8 suspensions. (will write up on the additional 5 some time soon)A few retired, many to come.

Definitely don't get it done with a gun- I had my helix pierced with a gun and after 2+ years it still hadn't settled, and even now i've retired it i've got scarring left.Seriously, needles are a lot quicker as well.I don't know much about shattered cartilage, but those two words together just sound like major ouchies to me :(.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Shattered cartilage aside ( mainly because I don't know about it) there are several other reasons you don't want it done with a gun

They're unsanitary and cannot be sterilised properly so whatever grim bits of peoples ears end up on there come into contact with your ear and fresh new wound
    Then there's the blunt force forcing a lovely blunt stud through your ear, which is gonna cause much more unnecessary damage to your ear than a needle
    And then there's the (more than likely) crappy quality jewellery which more than likely be a very small gauge
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

You know the risks but are still willing to give an already temperamental piercing the worst possible start? That seems a bit stupid to me.

I've had the experience of getting cartilage pierced with a gun and in comparison to having it done with a needle it was much more painful and took much longer to heal and there was the added annoyance of having to eventually stretch the cartilage to accommodate normal sized body piercing jewellery which didn't make it particularly happy.

Do some more research and save your money, then go to a professional.
    Saz
    Piercings:

2 sets of lobes at 1.2 and 1 set of 2.4mm on both ears

right ear: + 1 Helix at 1.2mm, Conch

left ear: + 2x Helix and Daith

nose

Planned: Some more ear stuff and hopefully a microdermal or two once I know where I want to put them!

Spikey is my BJS Wife

Don't be dumb, avoid the gun!

It'll be a waste of your money cause it will never heal, and youll end up having to take it out and end up with a big nasty scar and a messed up ear... thats if it DOESNT shatter

I dont see why you cant go get it done properly?

*facepalm*

This is like saying I know I can warm my hands up by putting them in a fire quickly and it might burn me but yeah I'll be doing it anyways. Seriously, re-read your post and see how silly it is!
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, nostril, septum, 2 wrist MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook, nostril, 3 nape MDs
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

but its the only way i can, my mom dont want to pay extra just to go somewhere other than the mall, im 15 and dont think they would do it with out her, and when i tell her ill pay she just says its not worth it

Not worth preventing her daughter getting a nasty infection? Mangled ear? Reaction to poor quality metal?
    Got: Left Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), 4xhelix, 5mm conch

Right Ear: Lobe (19mm/5mm/1.6mm), inner helix, orbital (Top)

Other: 4xtongue (2/2.4/3.2mm), septum

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast