Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default It is illegal to refuse to be registered to vote, but it isnt illegal to not vote..?

So, a council representative came to the door the other day claiming to be calling on behalf of the electoral register. He showed me the peoples listed on the electoral register for the address i live at (my girlfriends parents), and asked if they still lived here. To which i said "yes".

He then said, pointing to my father in law's name "so this is you".
    I replied saying "no, that is not me. i am a tennant under those two persons."

He then said, "ok so all you have to do is fill in your details (handing me the form) and sign at the bottom"
    I said, "respectably, id rather not. i dont wish to be on the electoral register. i dont vote in any case"

He seemed positively baffled by this unwillingness to be registered and claimed "its against the law for you not to register so im afraid you will have to"

I reiterated that i do not vote and do not wish to have my details recorded. I asked if he had any official documentation detailing the law that i would be breaking by not registering...such as a copy of the "law" itself, or any reference as to what "law" i would be breaking..... he proceeded to turn the registration form over and point out the line which said, and i quote "It is against the law to refuse to be registered"

I told him that i wasnt satisfied with this as being proof. I told him that "with no disrespect to yourself, i dont take this as concrete proof that my refusal is breaking any law. I do not vote and i do not wish to give out my details."

He again, looked shocked and baffled by this...and proceeded to threaten me with a 2000 fine amongst other things....but when i told him that he didnt have my details because id not given them...he claimed that he might ring the police so that they could extract my details...... then after a touch more dicussion about why i wasnt going to give my details, he seemed to get bored and went on his way..

So why were the council so desperate to have my details on a register that i need not be on, as i wouldnt use my vote :/ ......so desperate that he threatened a monetary fine and police action?!!

peace
    "we are the universe discovering ourself subjectively"

"why the fuck do we fall to our knees, for the corporation? Refuse the system, because the system will re-use you, we are the foundation"

"Doxa."

That sounds really off. From what I have understood, voting is a privilege. The government has the right to take your voting rights away, but I have not heard of any law that requires an able person to vote.

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/faq/reg...g_to_vote.aspx

Why do I need to register?

You need to be on the electoral register to vote in all UK elections and referendums. You are not automatically registered even if you pay council tax. If you receive a request for your registration information from your local electoral registration office then you are legally obliged to respond. If you do not respond, or if you provide false information, then you could receive a 1,000 fine.

Not being registered may also affect your credit rating.

I am concerned about my name appearing on the register; can I register anonymously?

The Electoral Administration Act 2006 introduces the ability to register anonymously. Anyone who does not wish for their name to appear on the register can apply to their Electoral Registration Officer to be registered anonymously, although good reason would have to be provided for this. Applicants would need documentary evidence of a Court Order or attestation from certain persons to support their application.

If you are registered anonymously, instead of your name and address appearing on the electoral register a code will be added to the end of the section of the register for your polling district. Instead of including you on the annual canvass form, the Electoral Registration Officer will contact you separately and in such a way as to not reveal that you are registered anonymously. You should receive polling cards as usual.

Anyone who has concerns about their name appearing on the electoral register should contact their local electoral registration office for further information.

You certainly don't have to vote, but you do need to be on the register.

Amongst other things, the register is used for jury selection.

Personally, I would make voting compulsory, but add "none of the above" and "I don't care" options to all ballot papers. Part of the reason for such lousy politics in this country is the usually abysmal turnout at local and general elections. Of course, there are plenty of other reforms I would do as well, such as prohibiting any donations above 500 per year, and all non-individual donations to political parties.

Quote Originally Posted by xrigorxmorits View Post
    That sounds really off. From what I have understood, voting is a privilege. The government has the right to take your voting rights away, but I have not heard of any law that requires an able person to vote.
    It's compulsory to vote in Australia, and you get fined if you don't: http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_au...g%20compulsory

Quote Originally Posted by julian View Post
    Amongst other things, the register is used for jury selection.

Personally, I would make voting compulsory, but add "none of the above" and "I don't care" options to all ballot papers. Part of the reason for such lousy politics in this country is the usually abysmal turnout at local and general elections. Of course, there are plenty of other reforms I would do as well, such as prohibiting any donations above 500 per year, and all non-individual donations to political parties.
    I agree that voting should be compulsory, with the 'none of the above' option. What would you propose should happen if 'none of the above' wins a constituency? A by-election with a compulsory change of candidates from all parties?

Doxa, I hope you never complain about any law, the behaviour of any government official, the way any governmental authority acts, and so on. By not voting you've given your tacit agreement to the government doing whatever it likes, because you've told them you don't care what they do.
    Last edited by rjs; 11-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.
    Current: Lip ring, 1st set of lobes @ 6mm, second set of lobes at 2.4mm, left daith, inner labia x 2, navel, right conch, properly done VCH yay!

Retired: Horribly botched VCH.

Future: Left double helix, left tragus, right forward helix. Nipples if I'm brave enough!

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    It's compulsory to vote in Australia, and you get fined if you don't: http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_au...g%20compulsory

I agree that voting should be compulsory, with the 'none of the above' option. What would you propose should happen if 'none of the above' wins a constituency? A by-election with a compulsory change of candidates from all parties?
    As you say, I would have a by-election with change of candidates, and all "none-of-the-above" candidates barred from standing for 5 years in any constituency, and from holding any elected post (including in the EU, e.g. MEP). Possibly even a small token fine (say 500-1000).
    Last edited by julian; 11-04-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Not being registered at all (i.e. not even registered at your parents) means you cant get a credit check for loans etc! You can simply sign the form, tick the relevant box and next to it say, registered at parents home in "insert town/city".

Also I'm fairly sure you can tick a box to not be included on any publicly available register.

Why are you concerned about your name being on a register?
    Last edited by TheArctopus; 11-04-2010 at 03:13 PM.
    Pierced, Punched, Stretched and Scarified

I cannot understand why someone would not want to be on the electoral role, you will find it nigh on impossible to get anything including any form of credit, rent from a private registered landlord, get a phone contract, bank account etc

You can indeed go on the private register where the only people who have access are government and official authorities and anyone you agree to having access to it. If that is ever broken then you can go after the council.

I also agree that everyone should have to vote, considering you can do it via post now there's not really any excuse (ie can't get to a polling station etc). Also agree with RJS that I hope you make sure never to complain about the way any government (local or national) works or any of their services as you didn't care who got in!
    Current: 5 standard lobes, 2 00g lobes, 7 helices, 3 tragus, conch, daith, 2 nostril, septum, 3 MDs
    Retired: 3 nipple, tongue, philtrum, 2 eyebrow, 2 outer labia, VCH, 2 helix, 1 lobe, rook
    27 hours of tattoo work

Voluntary forum Administrator, PM's not related to forum/tech issues may not be replied to.
    Please read the Forum Rules

erm, im not sure how to multiple quote in one response :S
    so ill have to do it this way until one of you kind people tell me how to do it otherwise

@insideout - yes, this seems the case. But, why?

@rjs - whichever way you vote, the goverment still get in right? whoever the majority party is - they all lie, they all deceive, and they are all corrupt from where im standing.
    Any change of candidate would not be all that significant in the way the party functions...they would still perform in the same manner.
    Also, if you look upon the idea of tacit consent on a large, extreme scale (although it would never happen), the government would be able to do whatever they want regardless...anything they did would be done against everyones will...because not everything is decided upon by a public vote...so the idea of tacit consent is quite a selfish, corrupt idea. Try sending the government an affidavit.....something they wouldnt like, but nothing that causes damage harm or loss to another human being. They'll ignore it. So in contract law, they accept by tacit consent....but you wouldnt get away with it...so why do the government?

@the arctopus - firstly, i like your name
    yes, i understand that not being upon the electoral register means that you will find it difficult to get a credit such as a loan, however it is not impossible. The fact that i have a national insurance number is enough to see that, if i wanted to, i could get a loan or a mortgage etc. The idea of a "credit rating", could be seen as illegal.
    Why am i so concerned about my name being on a register?? Well, im not. Im concerned about why the government are so concerned about me being on the register. To the point where they try to scare and intimidate you with monetary "fines" and police action.

@redravenfor response to your first paragraph, see above^ also, i currently hold a bank account and a mobile phone contract so this isnt an issue at the moment.
    The government already have my details anyway...they know my name, date of birth as on my birth certificate, they know the national insurance number assigned to my name and the title given to me. Im on other government registers so they know where i live etc....so whats the neccesity for me to tell them again? Whats the reason for the urgency to get me to sign?
    Also, i wouldnt say that i didnt/dont care who got/gets in... i do. I dont want any of the current political parties to be in power...so why would i vote for one? Why would it be right to be forced to say something that you dont agree with, or believe in?

no offence intended
    peace
    "we are the universe discovering ourself subjectively"

"why the fuck do we fall to our knees, for the corporation? Refuse the system, because the system will re-use you, we are the foundation"

"Doxa."

My immediate reaction would be to think that the guy was trying to scam me, and probably wasn't anything to do with the council. I would refuse to give my details on those grounds.

However, you definitely need proof of address and a fair credit rating to get any kind of credit. I went through a period of moving between rented accommodation every 6 months, and getting a mortgage was virtually impossible even with a 50% deposit!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast