Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Skin divers, micro-dermals and dermal anchors

I'm sorry if the question I'm about to ask is kind of noob but I really never figured it out:

What's the difference between skin divers, micro-dermals and dermal anchors? Are they all done with the same procedure and are they all removeable? How are they removed?
    I'm really interested in that kind of piercing, I've heard they have smaller chances of rejecting or infecting and don't leave a big scar

Thank you
    I'm sorry about my English, I try my best to make you understand what I mean.

Current:
    4x Ear Lobes (2x @ 10mm); L. Eyebrow; L. Forward Helix; R. Nostril; L. Helix; R. Tragus; Navel; Medusa;

Retired:
    Smiley; 2x Snake Bites; 3x Ear Lobes; 2nd Helix; Lower Navel; Septum; Venoms; Vertical Labret; Bridge;

In years to come:
    Lower Navel (Re-pierced); Venoms (Re-pierced); "Just Breathe" tattoo on ribs;

Microdermals = dermal anchors. They look like this, although the jewellery is available with more or less holes. The end unscrews and you can screw any 14g ends for internally threaded jewellery into the post. They can be inserted with a needle or dermal punch, and getting them out can be anything from just massaging the area to needing to use a needle/scalpel to help get it out.

Skin divers look like this. You can't change the end. Easier to put in but easier for them to fall out if caught. They'll leave a smaller scar.

I've known people with skin divers have them just drop straight out, even without catching them on anything though. I don't think I'd ever bother getting them. The only thing with microdermals is they can be quite painful if they start rejecting (well mine were, everyone is different).
    Current piercings: 7 in each ear, both tragus, both forward helix, 2 right nostril, ring in left nostril, septum. 3 lower lip piercings, webbing, 2 micro dermals in my chest, left nipple, bottom navel, VCH
    Retired: 2 eyebrow micro dermals, 2 eyebrow rings, both cheeks, 2 lip piercings, top navel
    Future: Lots! Erm my conchs, some surface bars in my chest

my microdermal was massivly painful when it started rejecting
    Emzii

current:
    lobes x 2 each
    right labret
    tongue
    Navel

retired:
    scaffold
    8mm lobe
    sternum md
    left labret
    navel
    stomach surface x2
    Nostril x2

tattoos:
    several! ask me..

http://www.facebook.com/emz.bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    ....although the jewellery is available with more or less holes.
    does the number of holes makes any difference?

how do you know when they are rejecting? :x

Thank you all :x

Current:
    4x Ear Lobes (2x @ 10mm); L. Eyebrow; L. Forward Helix; R. Nostril; L. Helix; R. Tragus; Navel; Medusa;

Retired:
    Smiley; 2x Snake Bites; 3x Ear Lobes; 2nd Helix; Lower Navel; Septum; Venoms; Vertical Labret; Bridge;

In years to come:

I find the small aperture, 2 holes on the long foot and 1 hole on the short work best. The large aperture holes tend to have more a cheese cutter effect from the thinner metal on the base and are a bit harder to get to stay in place.

The first sign of rejection will be increasing soreness, redness, and a swelling to one side of the anchor (usually in the direction of the smaller foot). It'll happen quite rapidly, you'll begin noticing more and more of the stem showing, it'll weep, crust and eventually the smaller foot will break through the skin requiring immediate removal.
    Valhalla Tattoo & Piercing
    -
    Let Another's Wounds Be Your Warning -

Oh, thank you
    and do all piercers know how to insert micro-dermal? or do they need to have some "special" apprenticeship?

Current:

Retired:

In years to come:

Not all piercers will know how to, and even a lot of those that claim they do have little experience or do them improperly.

Though there's really no 'special' apprenticeship for any kind of piercing. If you know your piercer is good then chances are they have the knowledge of how to them. Go with the same instincts on any piercing though, how long has the shop been established, how long have they been practising personally, is the premises clean, well kept, well stocked. Ask questions, get feedback, that kinda stuff.
    -

okay, thank you so much!
    I found some good piercing parlors, they look pretty good and are reputable and have some photos on their web page, but I'll have to go there someday to see for myself, because I think piercers here don't even do MD's. And, well, is just an hour away, the worst part will be actually find the place because I don't know Lisbon that well.

And the aftercare is the same as normal piercings?

Current:

Retired:

In years to come:

A lot easier than normal piercings.

You dont really need to soak them, you dont need to cover them, you dont have to do anything with them at all. They will heal just fine if you leave them completely alone. If you find in the first day or two you wake up with dried blood on the jewellery a hot bath or shower will clean that up. But you dont have to directly soak them twice a day, this can actually hinder the healing process as it'll keep the skin soft and supple allowing a lot more movement then is desired.
    -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast