Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Default Bigredfish's abdominal scar revision

As many of you already know, I had my navel surgically removed last summer as part of an experimental body modification procedure. Following the procedure, I suffered an extensive internal haemorrhage and was forced to heal the wound open. As a result, I was left with a large concave scar running over 1" deep...

Unfortunately, I can't find the thread that was made about the procedure at the time. It would have been nice to link it here, because it made an interesting read!

Anyway. Long story short, I'm finally having the scar revised by a qualified surgeon on thursday

Here are some photos of my 'navel' in its current state:

You can see that the top of the scar still looks very much like a navel. This is where the wound had to heal from the inside, and the granulation tissue never quite reached the same level as the outer skin before it scarred over.

On thursday, they will remove a large elipse of skin around the scar and *hopefully* stitch it back up nicely. I anticipate that the final scar will still be slightly concave due to the rectus sheath muscle structure underneath, but the scar should be a lot finer and more easy to tattoo over.

firstly hope that all goes well for you,that's a pretty big scar atm.also,i'm guessing since it's a surgical procedure you had to go private?sorta mulling this over for the future but can't find too much info atm,is it guarenteed to sorta scar and still look a lil bit like a navel?
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Ooh wow, that's some hefty scarring, I'm so glad you're going to get it worked over! We need pics of it after too! Good luck and happy healing!

Facebook/Tumblr/AwfulModifcationsBlog

You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd.

1/2" lobes, 15 other holes, 2 hours of tattoo work.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post

Unfortunately, I can't find the thread that was made about the procedure at the time. It would have been nice to link it here, because it made an interesting read!

All old threads seem to have been deleted when they updated the forum :(
    Wouldve liked to have read it.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Quote Originally Posted by soph_17 View Post
    firstly hope that all goes well for you,that's a pretty big scar atm.also,i'm guessing since it's a surgical procedure you had to go private?sorta mulling this over for the future but can't find too much info atm,is it guarenteed to sorta scar and still look a lil bit like a navel?
    This is why I needed to link the old thread! The original procedure was performed by a well respected body modification artist, because no private cosmetic surgeon would do it. Navel removal for body modification purposes is exceptionally rare, although some people end up losing their navel unintentionally through other surgical procedures.

After spending a silly amount of money trying to get cosmetic surgeons to fix the eventual scar, I managed to glean lots more information about why navel removal is so dangerous. The risks include the obvious risk of infection and scarring... but there is also the possibility of damaging the abdominal muscles, and of causing the formation of a dermoid cyst. They were quite concerned that I keep an eye on my bowel function after healing as well.

Give me a sec, and I'll post some pics of what my glorious haemorrhage looked like.

Good luck jane!!!
    Got:
    7mm Conch Punch
    Left nostril
    Stretched lobes 25mm
    VCH
    Helix
    L&R Outer Conches
    Dermal Anchor
    Medusa
    Septum

Retired:
    1x helix
    2 x second lobes
    Navel
    Tongue
    Frowny
    Smiley

Want:
    conch punch

Tattoo's x 6

I have to wonder why you did remove your navel. Just out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredfish View Post
    Give me a sec, and I'll post some pics of what my glorious haemorrhage looked like.

This is what it looked like after 6 days, just before I decided to get proper medical attention... I had been putting it off because I didn't want the stigma of trying to explain myself to my doctor. I ended up having handfuls of blood clot removed from the wound, followed by daily packing by a nurse for several weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmingthroughrain View Post
    I have to wonder why you did remove your navel. Just out of curiosity?
    This is the other reason why I needed to link the other thread!

I wanted to remove my navel so that I had a flat canvas to tattoo over. I'm working on a full bodysuit tattoo.
    I also had an intense dislike of people touching my navel.

jesus.i guess that's why it's a pretty extreme mod :O.but yeah,thanks for the info before-i would've thought private surgeons would do that,but then i didn't know abot all the risks.still interested in this,but a lot more research is needed i think.
    Current: Double nostrils, philtrum, nipple. Various cartilage, 9/16'' lobes.
    Retired: Nipple, navel x4, wrist, nape, MD, tongue web x2, lower lip piercings x4, nostril, helix, lobe piercings, septum, cheek piercings.
    4 tattoos.

What is my life for and what am I going to do with it? I don't know and I'm afraid. I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want.
    Facebook

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast