Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How Safe is a Tongue Piercing?

So I want my tongue done, and I'm old enough to go get it done without permission but i would still like my mom to approve. At the moment she is freaking out because she thinks its dangerous, just because she's heard horror stories about the tongue swelling so much you choke, or getting paralysed and stuff like that how much truth is in these? Are tongue piercings safe?
    Thank You xx
    Next piercings:
    Daith, Rook, Middle Lower Lip, Hips eventually, possibly tongue?? basically a load more!! (: (OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS GUYS )

Current piercings:
    Lobes x4
    Tragus (Left)
    Tragus to Conch Industrial (right)
    Belly

Retired Helix

Yes, you'll be fine.

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by HeyThere View Post
    So I want my tongue done, and I'm old enough to go get it done without permission but i would still like my mom to approve. At the moment she is freaking out because she thinks its dangerous, just because she's heard horror stories about the tongue swelling so much you choke, or getting paralysed and stuff like that how much truth is in these? Are tongue piercings safe?
    Thank You xx
    1. Tongue swelling so much you choke, its possible I guess but you'd have to be really, really unlucky and really dumb too Your tongue will swell a lot when you get pierced and one of the major pieces of aftercare you are encouraged to do during the first two weeks is take care of it through cold icy drinks, Arnica herbal supplements, Ibuprofen tablets, chamomile tea and ice creams/lollys etc. Obviously if you're dumb and leave it alone its going to be very sore, upset and it might swell more than normal so that it feels hard to breathe but its unlikely to cut off your air all together.

2.Paralysing... there's no major nerves in the 'way' of a tongue piercing but there are two large veins that, if they get pierced, would mean a trip to A&E to stop the bleeding - though the bleeding won't be considered fatal as they're not arteries. That's why you need a piercer that knows their business rather than some hack thats set up shop to cash in on fashion trends (there is no official qualification / recognised union for piercers so pretty much anyone can set up shop. If you don't know piercings very well it will be worth asking around on a site like this for a recommended place).

3. The real dangers of tongue piercings are: Tooth and gum damage, some people do find that their bars cause a lot of damage to their mouth, damage which is, unfortunately irreversible. This can be prevented to a large extent by plastic jewellery but it doesn't work for everyone
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

The thing is, nothing in life is safe, its just a matter of putting the risk into perspective. Its funny that I always think I may win the lottery when I buy a ticket but there is probably more risk of me dying before the time the actual draw is made! There are so many people out there with tongue piercings that it is probably safe to assume the risks are low, but if you have a look, things ranging from death by brain abscesses to chipped front teeth seem to be possible.
    -4mm left nipple - 7mm right nipple-
    -4mm frenum-

Honestly, the risk of damaging my teeth is giving me pause. It's one of my few good features.

I will definitely get a tongue web but tongue I'm still unsure about.

It'll be fine with a professional.
    currently ~
    2 horizontal lobes
    | septum 2mm
    retired ~
    eyebrow | tragus

Well, technically there is a chance of it paralysing you. There is also a chance that getting your tongue pierced would open a a wormhole in the space/time fabric of reality. neither are particularly likely though in my opinion

well, that's my sarcasm over for the day lol

nah, as kuku said, there are some dangers, but they are very unlikely to be particularly serious, and unlikely to happen in the first place. tooth chipping and gum erosion can be a problem though, especially with bad placement (another good reason to go to someone who knows what they are doing, as if you need another

one other thing to bear in mind is...tongue piercings are awesome, and all the cool kids have one
    Got: R Nipple @ 1.6mm (2/10/07)
    L Nipple @ 1.6mm (16/11/07)
    Both lobes @ 1.6mm (16/2/08
    2nd lobe (Right) @1.6mm (17/7/08)
    L Nipple (vert) @ 1.6mm (9/8/08)
    Septum @ 1.6mm (29/8/08)
    Tongue @1.6mm (11/10/09)
    "No God, Only Me" tattoo - 15/06/10

Retired : Inverse Navel @ 1.6mm (10/5/08)
    Microdermal (chest)
    2nd lobe (left) @1.6mm (14/6/08)
    PA @ 2.4mm (16/12/08)

well, once you study economics at all, you realise that magic does exist, only we call it money.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmingthroughrain View Post
    Honestly, the risk of damaging my teeth is giving me pause. It's one of my few good features.

I will definitely get a tongue web but tongue I'm still unsure about.
    If it did cause damage it would probably be because of gum recession and that's not visible.
    Not saying that's a good thing, but it wouldn't effect appearance.
    Tooth chipping on the other hand would be noticeable but I've hit my tongue bar against my front teeth very often and it's never happened.
    If you're really worried though you could try using an acrylic or bioplast balls and/or bar.
    Current
    Ears: Left forward and standard helix, left tragus, left daith. Right rook, right double inner conch. 1g and 14g lobes.
    Face: Right nostril, septum, vertical labret.
    Other: Tongue, standard and inverse navel, left and right nipple.

Just be careful when you bite down. I have chowed down on some peas and I thought my tongue stud was a pea and I bit hard. One of my molars is now chipped :(
    old piercings :( 5mm (4ga) lobes (pierced at 4mm/6ga), tongue (1.6mm/14ga)

currently texas but going to move back to cali

i have my tounge and when i got it peirced just munched on ice for a week and i was fine just no spicy food
    kween.kandi.818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast