Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: To buy, or download?

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeinatedGuy View Post
    I'd like to introduce this infographic to the debate:

How Much do Music Artists Earn Online?

In short, if these numbers are accurate... It would imply that the only ones who can make money from selling music are the record labels.
    Even record sales only pay a pittance to an artist, unless you're making Cowellesian sales levels. The real money for the majority of bands is in ticket sales and merchandise.
    If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.

Lifting big, getting bigger.

No use for an imaginary friend.

Exactly, so if those who download most are also those who are willing to spend money to see a band, then the effect is negligible.
    Tom

Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer!

Surely that shows that artists earn nothing when you're stealing their music.

Of course the record label is going to make money too.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

Quote Originally Posted by CaffeinatedGuy View Post
    Exactly, so if those who download most are also those who are willing to spend money to see a band, then the effect is negligible.
    Well, ticket sales are down and without tickets being sold, not only do the band lose revenue from the lack of punters seeing them, they also lose out on merch sales. I make a point now of buying at least one shirt from every gig I go to.

That said, I'll always buy my discs - I like having the physical medium there, with the artwork, booklet and such.
    If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.

Lifting big, getting bigger.

No use for an imaginary friend.

I download a lot but if theres something i listen to and seriously love i will have to buy it especially a 7 inch or something with nice artwork.

Senior Member misstress_malice_mizer's Avatar

what are peoples oponions of downloading music from sites such as amazon or play were your paying for the tracks that you download?
    i'm just curious more to know what people think
    is it ok based on the fact that your paying for it and therefore isnt technically illegal cause youve bought the item in question just in downloadable mp3 format rather than as a physical thing witha case and and artsy looking booklet
    or is it like free downloads?
    http://maliceinunderderland.tumblr.com/ (nsfw)
    1.2mm lobes, 1.6mm septum
    retired nostril piercing
    two tattoos
    wish list as long as my arm
    available on
    facebook
    tumblr

Downloading has gone on for years and it's only now the charts and mainstream acts (therefore biggest record labels) are being sidelined that it becomes a problem, because avid music fans can get straight to the music they want to, rather than the crap that's pushed at them right, left and center, Which 9 times out of 10 will include bands that make the most from touring, rather than sales. Because the pop charts are solely interested in sales from shifting units, of course then they get upset. The X Factor and the like make probably nothing from touring as far as I know, so they're a direct casualty. Downloading pretty much gives smaller bands a foot in the door and a slice of the pie, and that's what the big corporations don't like. Because what was their money is now going to other people, more than "£millions being stolen from the 'industry'!!" I know that sounds all "stick it to the man!" and all, but it's true.
    Last edited by Brainwrongs; 05-09-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    "For instance, the English language is the only language that has an *i* before *e* except after *c*. What's before an *i*? Before my eyes is a sea. But the *c* I see is a sea. I'm not that word-oriented. I'm trying to use words like music so that they don't take your mind anywhere that I want them to."

Wow, Bravo to people who had never download things... It's illegal. It doesn't help our artist in their lifes. I think, if you really like a band or something you must buy WAY MORE their songs and everything instead of downloading.

I had dowload some songs... but... I don't like to do that. It's nice that people like my mother, continues to buy CD and everything
    Piercing that I have now : left nostril,bottom navel,Left ear: 3 lobe ,/Right ear: 2 lobe, 1 helix

I want :
    -1 labret (right)

-tongue piercing :venom or center one
    Left ear:
    -high snug

Microdermals:2 under clavicule. 2 on lower back (dimple),

retired: 1 helix,1 anti-helix,3 lobes , 1 tragus.

I'VE BEEN FORCED BY A DOCTOR TO RETIRE MY TRAGUS AND NOW ITS CLOSED AND SHE FORCED ME FOR NOTHING...I'M REALLY MAD . now the bump will never go... nice for the self esteem

I can't afford to buy all the music that I listen to. If I like you, I'll see you live when you come to town. They make way more off ticket sales anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by misstress_malice_mizer View Post
    what are peoples oponions of downloading music from sites such as amazon or play were your paying for the tracks that you download?
    i'm just curious more to know what people think
    is it ok based on the fact that your paying for it and therefore isnt technically illegal cause youve bought the item in question just in downloadable mp3 format rather than as a physical thing witha case and and artsy looking booklet
    or is it like free downloads?
    well you've paid for it and its legal ... just like buying from itunes store or something