Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: To buy, or download?

I buy only when its cheap, otherwise i just ask someone else to download/get it for me as quite often they already have it.
    Some bands i like dont even have actual Cds out and there not on itunes or whatever. Im not gonna sit and listen to them on myspace all the time.

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

Senior Member DreadfulFaeryFalls's Avatar

Of course they could judt do the sensible thing and lower the cost of the music - nearly a quid for one song!!! Do record companies NEED billions of dollars?? i understand that keeping Lady Gaga in exloding underwear can get expenisve but its still taking the mick
    Current: Lobes at 14mm
    Tatotos: Bluebell at base of spine, winged heart with stars between shoulder blades

Retired: 3rd lobe,auricle and upper helix, both nipples, reverse navel, snakebites *sob*

They definitely need to change the way music purchasing works. They need to do the same for books and tv aswell. The technology has moved on but the industry hasn't.

Nokia music do this thing where you get a contract and then can download as much music as you like for free for the duration of the contract. They then pay the copyrighting fees etc. That seems like a viable business model. I really don't know enough about it though.
    Call me Genni...

"Everyone deserves the chance to fly"

Keeper of the magical hunting bees with Trivium and Miharu

*proudly wears her dictionary straight-jacket*

hells monkey tbh...
    you are a big gay boy

*Disclaimer: When I argue unless I quote sources it is all my opinion. My way of writing is because I do creative writing and you can't sound uncertain.*

time to search warez
    - you are my sunshine -
    - you are my drug -
    - you are my love -

I don't download illegally. I feel better when I pay for it, especially because a lot of bands I listen to aren't that big and some can't even make a living with their music. Plus I'm too afraid of downloading viruses and other shit, it already happend to me when I once tried to download something. If I don't want to buy something I listen to it on myspace or youtube. I never buy cds full price though, there's no way I'm paying 20e for a cd! So I buy them on sale, when I'm abroad or on iTunes. I did watch the new season of skins on youtube. I wouldn't have minded paying for it, but you can only buy it on iTunes UK and I don't have a billing address in the UK so I could buy it.

I do download, but to be honest there is something about physically having the CD / DVD etc.. rather than having it "virtually". After all I spend hours getting them all into alphabetical order, if they were all on itunes, then it does it automatically !

It's never ok but that's the world we live in.
    It's illegal but nobody really goes after downloaders more the big uploaders so really the chances of getting caught are quite slim which is why I know why so many people that do it.
    currently ~
    2 horizontal lobes
    | septum 2mm
    retired ~
    eyebrow | tragus

But aren't the music industry always whinging that "home taping is killing music" They don't complain when we re-buy our favorite DVDs as Blu-Ray !

As far as games go, I download. But only abandonware.
    If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.

Lifting big, getting bigger.

No use for an imaginary friend.

I'd like to introduce this infographic to the debate:

How Much do Music Artists Earn Online?

In short, if these numbers are accurate... It would imply that the only ones who can make money from selling music are the record labels.
    Tom

Everybody needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer!