Default Industrial Piercing Bumps

Hey all,

I got my industrial done a few months ago and I've been finding that I have some issues with bumps along the holes. They are a little sore and one of them occasionally bleeds. I'm horrible I know I shouldn't touch my ear but I do all the time. I was hoping I could get some help/ tips on how to heal this up properly, including ways to keep myself from touching it. I don't want to take it out, I love it, but I'd love it even more if it was healed properly hehe.

I've been trying to do Chamomile tea compresses and sea salt solution on a q-tip to clean it but its proving difficult. Thanks so much for all your help

Hi there, i had this problem. They weren't bleeding but one got a little nasty ad turned into an infected abcess. Unfortunately, i had to take mine out as the lumps were not going down and the piercing itself had been in for almost four months. Persevere for a little while!! i also found Sudocrem or another antiseptic healing cream worked a little more for me.
    xx

Your sea salt solution should be a sea salt soak - as in putting your ear in a hot cup of 1/4 teaspoon of sea salted water Cleaning around the outside of the piercing doesn't clean it inside and doesn't help to pull out any gunk / nasty bits that may be stuck under the bar. Ideally you need to soak twice a day for about 5mins (and then use a q-tip, rinse with plain water and pat dry with something clean) throughout your initial healing, now you're a little further down the line i'd say once a day or whenever you see discharge / crusties is better for you.

Same with the chamomile tea, hot tea bag compresses work for some people but personally I found it better / easier just to use chamomile tea in my sea salt soak instead of hot water (so add salt to the tea) as then you really get a good ole soak in it.

If your bump is hypertrophic scarring (which is the most common type of bump on these piercings) it will be purpley-red and hard, when pressed it will change colour and sometimes it may even appear as flesh-tone. They can bleed a little from time to time but shouldn't bleed a lot and the bumps appear quite close to the piercing holes. They are caused by irritation such as fiddling with the piercing, laying on the piercing, using chemical cleaning solutions on them and the jewellery itself.

Chamomile tea will only get rid of the bump if you get rid of the irritation first so that means stopping laying on it (sleep with it cupped in your arm or hand or in the centre of a travel/doughnut shaped pillow) and fiddling with it (really how old are you grow some balls and be strict with yourself hehe!). What will also help is getting your jewellery changed either to a long PTFE bar (its a medical grade implant plastic thats nice and bendy so will take the pressure of the bar off the holes and lessen any knocks) or changing to two shorter bars (this is usually the best way to lessen the pressure and irritation but for some people the holes can migrate to somewhere more comfy for your body meaning they will need a custom bar to reach the different hole placement when its done.)

These piercings can be really tricky to heal and for most people they take a good 6-18months to settle done!
    Body Piercer and Creator of Body Poetry
    A Body Piercing advice site complete with fully detailed aftercare guides.

Thanks so much guys I'm going to try the Chamomile tea with sea salt soak and work really hard at not touching it (and yes kuku I'm a big girl hehe)

Once I am able to I'm going to put in the picture that I took of it just to make sure. But I'm pretty sure from your description that it is hypertrophic scarring

Thanks again