Question Smiley piercing query?

I was thinking about getting my smiley pierced - I'm well aware of the risks and have decided to go through with it nonetheless.
    My only question is what is the healing period like exactly? How long this it hurt for? Can you still eat and speak properly?

Also, if I get it done, can I take it out 3 weeks later for a (brief) dentist's appointment, or would that disrupt the healing process too much?

Thanks

Well mine hurt for the rest of the night the day i got it pierced, thats all. I could eat and speak just fine. Not sure on the dentist thing

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

It's not really painful while healing, just a bit annoying until you get used to it. Does not interfere with eating and speaking.
    As for the dentist, why don't you get it pierced with a curved/straight barbell? He probably won't notice it.

1 inch both lobes, 6mm upper right lobe, 6mm left inner conch, 6mm septum, 2.4mm inner labia, 1.6mm both nipples

tumblr

Oh they will notice it,, Updated the whole check up scheme, prodding at your gums, to check their healthy &checking out everything else they possibly could in your mouth..

Have i gone mad? Im afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But i'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.

I found the healing to be very quick and easy. I could eat and drink anything I wanted to with no problems.
    I wouldn't reccomend taking it out after 3 weeks, I've had mine for over 2 years now and cannot leave it out for more than 10 minutes, they can close up VERY fast.
    a straight or curved bar will not get in the way for a dentists appointment though.
    I'm hannah!
    my freak ... my face ... my art ...add?

i could eat, speak fine after i got mine, pain wasnt bad at all, just a bit achy with i did a big smile to try and show it off haha!

Pierced
    |Bridge|Septum|Monroe|Tounge|
    |Smiley|Inverse Navel|Left Lobe|
    |Left And Right Lobes 16mm|

Thanks for all the advice.
    I think I'll hold off the piercing until after my appointment - save myself all the hassle =]